Bears at Colts 9/22 Noon Game On CBS

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If that were the case, we wouldnt see any HC come from the defensive ranks. 

Heck if that were the case, we would never see a defensive guy even interviewed for a HC spot.

If that were the case the It wouldnt work anywhere, except it does.

I didn’t say it doesn’t happen.  I said I wouldn’t do it.  

That 4th and 1 call is going to live forever in my head any time I do anything stupid that goes poorly. 

I haven't rewatched it but I just remember the start of the toss to Swift just guffawing.  I've never guffawed before and it was a novel experience but I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Fields kinda wobbled left and gave it the pitch and he had to be thinking "I am about to witness a murder"  as he gave the ball to Swift. Of course he went backwards and fell down on that one too.

Starting to think even the pessimistic sounding win totals for this season are looking pretty rosy right now. 

36 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

That 4th and 1 call is going to live forever in my head any time I do anything stupid that goes poorly. 

I haven't rewatched it but I just remember the start of the toss to Swift just guffawing.  I've never guffawed before and it was a novel experience but I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Fields kinda wobbled left and gave it the pitch and he had to be thinking "I am about to witness a murder"  as he gave the ball to Swift. Of course he went backwards and fell down on that one too.

Starting to think even the pessimistic sounding win totals for this season are looking pretty rosy right now. 

Did you just have a stroke?

Just finished watching the game, another strange and wonky up and down performance from a Matt Eberflus lead team. We'keep seeing this over and over for 3 seasons now  ....what a stupid STUPID decision to retain him instead of starting fresh with with a new HC for Caleb.

'Year 3 is when it aLL comes together' -Poles, Warren. 

Roster talent is not the issue! 

So many points left out there on the field, so much up and down play, sooo much poor-execution.

Pretty STuPID of Poles to believe this year would be different. Matt Eberflus is a DC and that is all! Why mess around with your young QBs development??!

16 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Shane Waldron was for sure the consensus most logical hire for the Bears. A proven guy, who had helped resurrect Geno’s career to st ran a similar enough offense that it didn’t need to be whole sale changes on that side of the ball.

I personally had pitched Clint Kubiak in my mock, but that’s because I didn’t think we could get Waldron. And even with the Clint pick, I can recognize that he wouldn’t be doing things here that he did to start the Saints season. It has to do with the OL they have on top of an established QB and some great weapons.

Just like I said when questioned on it, I have not changed my overall opinion on this team, or its coaching staff or its front office. I have some outstanding questions still, but as I said during the game, you can see the rough edges of it. The 4th Quarter against TEN. The last 20 min today. It’s there with the Offense, they just have to get rid of the bad tendencies, get more comfortable with what Waldron is calling, and just execute some of the plays that they are bumbling.

IMhO, the consensus most logical hire was a new HC and fresh start for Caleb. 

Bumbling up and down play seems to be the dominant core personality trait of Matt Eberflus lead teams. We've seen it over and over and over, with diff coaches below him. 

His teams are unprepared, unable to  execute plays consistently and caNNot play winning football for 60 mins. 

Dude is not a HC

• Like 2

18 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

He’s clearly covering for his two young rookies who were too busy with their choreographed “keep away” celebration to realize they needed to go for 2 there. And we’re running up the sidelines on the bench not paying attention 

He called for two before anyone from the kicking unit even stepped on their field. 40 seconds on the play clock is plenty of time to get a play in even if there were indecision for the first 10 seconds even.

But if Eberflus needs to be your scapegoat for venting, have at it here

For what it's worth, on Hoge and Jahns they were talking about this and were saying that on the coaches film you can see the Bears coaches high fiving the players AFTER the celebration, and that the urgency from the sideline for 2  came later, so... 

It's not as big a problem as the OL, but they should probably hire a coach on the sideline to do nothing but advise on challenges and time outs as it's pretty regular that the Bears miss things. 

39 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Actually I did get heat stroke on Saturday and haven't felt super great since, so not exactly but kinda?

It did not improve the in game experience as it wasn't severe enough to render me unconscious. 

You said Fields instead of Williams when talking about the pitch play. Glad your recovered.

Just now, Pool said:

You said Fields instead of Williams when talking about the pitch play. Glad your recovered.

Yeah saw that, leaving it for posterity.  I've mostly managed to avoid conversations comparing the two but that one slipped by.  Am glad Fields is making the most of his shot; don't think he has an incredible ceiling but it's nice to see a team really adapting to what he does well. 

Didn't notice it at the time but Lewis is completely lost out there...I am sure he is a great guy and a leader for this team but sometimes you just need to know when it's time to hang them up...all he has done this season is hurt this offence...if he doesn't know it's time then the coaching staff/FO should.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It’s great that defensive HCs have success and you can point to that. I just don’t believe it is way to go in modern NFL.

I think we screwed up.  Give me LaFluer or Shanahan or Reid or O’Connell or McVay or Harbaugh over any of the defensive HCs in league right now.  

And the Vikings DC may be best in league at his job.  But I don’t want him as a HC.  

I said it during the game but this is just an over simplification of the whole HC gig...

Sure having a great offensive or defensive mind is not the most important thing to being a great HC...we have seen tons of great coordinators be terrible head coaches...we also see great HCs from all backgrounds...John Harbaugh from a ST background...Dan Campbell with no coordinator experience...tons of great defensive minded HCs...

The best HCs are guys who show skills in...

• Leadership
  • Motivation
  • Conflict Management
  • Problem Solving & Decision Making
  • In Game Decision Making & Adjustments
  • Ability to Hire the Right People around them because no HC runs a full franchise

You have to find those skills long before you find a guy who is good with Xs & Os...

Now there is absolutely a case for starting to discuss if Flus is the right guy because where I see leadership, motivational & conflict management skills as well as great adjustment skills defensively especially at half time I don't see a guy who has made in game decisions that have elevated this team or the ability to hire a great coaching staff around him to help develop or elevate these players...especially considering the win loss record is still at this point under 0.300 and we have what looks on paper the most talented roster we have had in a decade...

Now you ask me right now if we had to fire Flus and hire a new HC it's Ben Johnson all day long...but that is looking at him from a far...that is seeing the offence & the playcalling and listening to him speak at press conferences & seeing how intelligent he comes across...but again do I know if he has all the above skills? Of course not and that's what makes hiring an NFL HC such a difficult job...as much as I feel Johnson could be another Sean Payton...he could just as easily become another Adam Gase if he doesn't have the above qualities...

Not as easy as just hiring the best OC. 

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I said it during the game but this is just an over simplification of the whole HC gig...

Sure having a great offensive or defensive mind is not the most important thing to being a great HC...we have seen tons of great coordinators be terrible head coaches...we also see great HCs from all backgrounds...John Harbaugh from a ST background...Dan Campbell with no coordinator experience...tons of great defensive minded HCs...

The best HCs are guys who show skills in...

• Leadership
  • Motivation
  • Conflict Management
  • Problem Solving & Decision Making
  • In Game Decision Making & Adjustments
  • Ability to Hire the Right People around them because no HC runs a full franchise

You have to find those skills long before you find a guy who is good with Xs & Os...

Now there is absolutely a case for starting to discuss if Flus is the right guy because where I see leadership, motivational & conflict management skills as well as great adjustment skills defensively especially at half time I don't see a guy who has made in game decisions that have elevated this team or the ability to hire a great coaching staff around him to help develop or elevate these players...especially considering the win loss record is still at this point under 0.300 and we have what looks on paper the most talented roster we have had in a decade...

Now you ask me right now if we had to fire Flus and hire a new HC it's Ben Johnson all day long...but that is looking at him from a far...that is seeing the offence & the playcalling and listening to him speak at press conferences & seeing how intelligent he comes across...but again do I know if he has all the above skills? Of course not and that's what makes hiring an NFL HC such a difficult job...as much as I feel Johnson could be another Sean Payton...he could just as easily become another Adam Gase if he doesn't have the above qualities...

Not as easy as just hiring the best OC. 

There is also the timing aspect of a new QB, who if successful, probably gets your OC a HC job after a year or two.  That scenario is more difficult to weather if your HC isn't an offensive mind who has played a part in the offensive identity of the team.  Plus an offensive HC is going to be able help develop the QB more than a defensive DC.  That applies to the Bears this year for sure.

Personally I don't like Flus much for in game management and preparation, but hate the idea of tearing it down again around a rookie QB.  That said there has to be a limit where continuity for continuity's sake is worthless if it's just prolonging a bad situation.  If it's November and the Bears still look like they did yesterday you've got to have some hard conversations.

• Like 1