Bears at Colts 9/22 Noon Game On CBS

2 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

There is also the timing aspect of a new QB, who if successful, probably gets your OC a HC job after a year or two.  That scenario is more difficult to weather if your HC isn't an offensive mind who has played a part in the offensive identity of the team.  Plus an offensive HC is going to be able help develop the QB more than a defensive DC.  That applies to the Bears this year for sure.

Personally I don't like Flus much for in game management and preparation, but hate the idea of tearing it down again around a rookie QB.  That said there has to be a limit where continuity for continuity's sake is worthless if it's just prolonging a bad situation.  If it's November and the Bears still look like they did yesterday you've got to have some hard conversations.

Again I just don't think that is always true...a great HC who is able to hire a great OC to develop a talented QB works just as well if that is a great HC from a Offensive or Defensive background for me because now HC can just be an OC or QB coach because they have a full team to worry about...like I said one of the keys is knowing who to hire...right now Flus hasn't shown that...

Put it this way if we did hire a great offensive coordinator to be HC but our D is giving up 35 points a game then we don't have a great HC...there is a clear balance to strike.

Pulled from reddit... Idk who "Dave" is. 

[Dave] Here are some stats for Caleb Williams in Week 3. He had just 1 turnover worthy throw, according to PFF. The second interception was on Rome. His adjusted completion percentage, which accounts for drops, was 71.2% on 52 attempts. His average depth of target was 11.2 yards

Edit: would be curious on the stats for depth of target without the hail mary and/or the one deep ball, though. Big outliers certainly skewed the results a bit. 

Edited by Epyon

3 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

There is also the timing aspect of a new QB, who if successful, probably gets your OC a HC job after a year or two.  That scenario is more difficult to weather if your HC isn't an offensive mind who has played a part in the offensive identity of the team.  Plus an offensive HC is going to be able help develop the QB more than a defensive DC.  That applies to the Bears this year for sure.

Personally I don't like Flus much for in game management and preparation, but hate the idea of tearing it down again around a rookie QB.  That said there has to be a limit where continuity for continuity's sake is worthless if it's just prolonging a bad situation.  If it's November and the Bears still look like they did yesterday you've got to have some hard conversations.

That is my primary reason.

Any OC who does really good quickly gets a HC job or becomes a hot candidate with one eye on the door and not giving you 100%.

So you are always stuck in position of getting a new one (soon or now) or being stuck with one few people want.

Good DCs are not a dime a dozen, but at same time they don't require the same continuity as offense.  You can teach any defense in one offseason and camp.   The assignments are easier and much more likely to overlap and verbiage is much more likely to be the same as well across coaches.   You can switch them out until you find a real good one like Vikings just did.  Flores isn't getting another HC job anytime soon.  That was a fantastic hire for them.  

Does it matter who is LaFluer's OC or Andy Reid's?   It doesn't.   Getsy would be fine as OC for LaFluer.  Nagy is KC OC right now and they love him.

Yes you need other skills besides being a good OC to be a good HC.  But that is the pool of talent I would always draw from.

My preference is a coach who could do either side of ball and do it well.  Few of those anymore it seems.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

My preference is a coach who could do either side of ball and do it well.  Few of those anymore it seems.  

Many guys in business said that was Josh McDaniels.   Why I championed him to be Bears HC before Flus.  Thought he might be an offensive Belichick.   A jack of all trades.  A flexible mind.   But he was absolutely terrible.

I feel like I could ferret that out in interviews and more access to people who truly knew him before I would have hired him IRL rather than guessing.  

But maybe I would have screwed up and done it.  Who knows?

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Bates isn't great either. The GM decided to be unserious for 3 offseasons about the iOL

Anything would be better than that right now…I would even give Kramer a shot at this point…the messaging alone would be worth it.

• Like 1

I am super negative right now mainly because of the one series when he had first and goal from 4 against perhaps worst defense in NFL in such a situation. That one series was a camel straw that really killed me. 

To date through 3 games Waldron has showed no concept of personnel and who should be on field and when.   It is just embarrassing.  Seriously I have seen dads with almost no coaching experience do better in their first year.  I have heard them say, we need so and so in for this play! Or so and so for that play.  

https://abc7chicago.com/sports/how-a-failed-goal-line-series-reflects-the-bears-struggles/15347941/ 

I should be jacked about a high potential young QB, but right now I am just feeling like I need to detach a bit to ease what this does for my mood.  

I honestly don’t care that much about winning or losing.  Other people in league are really good and trying to win too.  

But doing stupid things so often really bothers me at highest level.  

Not going to apologize for Waldron as he's been quite poor, but could the arranged marriage between him and Morgan be the root of this disfunction? 

Wasn't the timeliness: keep Flus, keep and promote Morgan,  hire Waldron?  He seemed better if not exactly exciting in Seattle, so it's a little surprising to see how off the O is now. Maybe they're just not working well together?

If so, kinda the junior version of what the Bears do with HCs and rookie QBs. 

21 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Not going to apologize for Waldron as he's been quite poor, but could the arranged marriage between him and Morgan be the root of this disfunction? 

Wasn't the timeliness: keep Flus, keep and promote Morgan,  hire Waldron?  He seemed better if not exactly exciting in Seattle, so it's a little surprising to see how off the O is now. Maybe they're just not working well together?

If so, kinda the junior version of what the Bears do with HCs and rookie QBs. 

Morgan didn’t call finesse and gadget plays inside the 4.   Morgan didn’t fail to see two overhang defenders against a speed option call and fail to call a timeout in a key moment.

Morgan has his own problems, but he has guys getting blasted back and can’t hack it physically.   Their fundamentals aren’t awful like we have seen in years past and guys aren’t making blocks, but they mostly know who to block.  I blame his troubles more on Poles.  

Teams are investing in having great DLs.  First round and second round picks and often.   Big FA spending.  You have to match that with more than patch work players on OL or you are going to get whooped.  

40 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Morgan didn’t call finesse and gadget plays inside the 4.   Morgan didn’t fail to see two overhang defenders against a speed option call and fail to call a timeout in a key moment.

Not saying it's not correct, but do we know this? Morgan is the run game coordinator as well so he could very well be giving Waldron these plays either as calls or as a menu.  It's just odd to me that both guys were more successful last year.

40 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Morgan has his own problems, but he has guys getting blasted back and can’t hack it physically.   Their fundamentals aren’t awful like we have seen in years past and guys aren’t making blocks, but they mostly know who to block.  I blame his troubles more on Poles.  

Teams are investing in having great DLs.  First round and second round picks and often.   Big FA spending.  You have to match that with more than patch work players on OL or you are going to get whooped.  

Worse than that, it looks like a bad fit RB1, playing with backup level OL (at least 2 out of 5),  in nonsensical play packages. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Not saying it's not correct, but do we know this? Morgan is the run game coordinator as well so he could very well be giving Waldron these plays either as calls or as a menu.  It's just odd to me that both guys were more successful last year.

Worse than that, it looks like a bad fit RB1, playing with backup level OL (at least 2 out of 5),  in nonsensical play packages. 

It goes Flus, Waldron and then Morgan on responsibility.

Waldron can overrule anything Morgan wants to do and Flus can overrule Waldron.

Everyone preaches situational football.   Well short yardage to goal line or a first down marker is a situation in football.  Kind of a big one.   An important one.  One that requires reps.  One that you risk injury on in practice because it needs to be worked on.   One where you find a good lead blocker.   One where OL work on getting low.

One where you find out maybe Swift isn't best choice for short yardage.  Maybe he is, but you find out.  

The Bears are acting like keystone cops anytime we are in that situation.  Like they never imagined it would come up in a game.    

Need a hard yard or two at a key moment in game?  Hmmm, probably our best option is to do some kind of triple fake reverse pitch with our smallest WR making the key block on a frontline player.

I don't like that.  What is 2nd?  Play action and throw a bomb - probably to Everett.  

Ugh 3rd?   TE screen also to Everett.

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It goes Flus, Waldron and then Morgan on responsibility.

Waldron can overrule anything Morgan wants to do and Flus can overrule Waldron.

Again I think Flus generally is below average, but do you really want your HC stepping in and micromanaging your OC 3 wks in?  Not saying they don't all suck but I think you're setting a bad precedent if you're overriding these guys on the sideline.

Everyone preaches situational football.   Well short yardage to goal line or a first down marker is a situation in football.  Kind of a big one.   An important one.  One that requires reps.  One that you risk injury on in practice because it needs to be worked on.   One where you find a good lead blocker.   One where OL work on getting low.

One where you find out maybe Swift isn't best choice for short yardage.  Maybe he is, but you find out.  

The Bears are acting like keystone cops anytime we are in that situation.  Like they never imagined it would come up in a game.    

Are you willing to accept this season as a comedic exercise? The games get a lot more fun if you can sustain it for an entire game.  Coleman Shelton is carrying my Ironic FF team. Every time he blocks a Bear, it's a point, missed assignments are 2 and him getting used as a projectile by the opposing team is 10.  I'm unbeatable!

Need a hard yard or two at a key moment in game?  Hmmm, probably our best option is to do some kind of triple fake reverse pitch with our smallest WR making the key block on a frontline player.

I don't like that.  What is 2nd?  Play action and throw a bomb - probably to Everett.  

Ugh 3rd?   TE screen also to Everett.

I agree it's all ****ty but I don't think Flus taking over is going to make it better.  

It's a familiar feeling to discover that the best hope for a part of your team is "maybe they'll get lucky" or "maybe they'll all just get better at their jobs" but I feel like it's the most realistic path forward.

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Anything would be better than that right now…I would even give Kramer a shot at this point…the messaging alone would be worth it.

I think Kramer is worth a shot at this point.

I mean he's a Poles draft pick and has been kept around for this long so what are they waiting for exactly? 

If he wasn't worth keeping I'd assume he would have been long gone by now.

Then when Bates gets back put him in at RG and see what happens.

Don't think it could be any worse than what it's been so far 

• Like 1