• or Seahawks (2-0)
    • Lions (1-1)
    • or Cardinals (1-1)
    • Ravens (1-1)
    • or Cowboys (1-1)
    • 49ers (1-1)
    • or Rams (0-2)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/22/2024 at 05:00 PM

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

That comparison feels disrespectful to Myles Garrett.

Not if you actually watched 2007 John Abraham. 

On 483 pass rushes that year, Abraham had 76 total pressures. 11 sacks, 19 hits and 46 hurries. He forced 4 fumbles and had 24 run stops in 314 run snaps. Also had a pass deflection on an actual coverage play. Dude was killing it. but the rest of the defensive line that year was objectively bad so he didn't get to rack up the stats. Had he been on a better team, he would have been an all-pro. Dude was just living in backfields.

Had the highest pass rush win rate in the league that year for anyone playing more than 25% of their team's snaps. And he was playing above average run defense. Sound familiar?

Edited by scar988

45 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Not if you actually watched 2007 John Abraham. 

On 483 pass rushes that year, Abraham had 76 total pressures. 11 sacks, 19 hits and 46 hurries. He forced 4 fumbles and had 24 run stops in 314 run snaps. Also had a pass deflection on an actual coverage play. Dude was killing it. but the rest of the defensive line that year was objectively bad so he didn't get to rack up the stats. Had he been on a better team, he would have been an all-pro. Dude was just living in backfields.

Had the highest pass rush win rate in the league that year for anyone playing more than 25% of their team's snaps. And he was playing above average run defense. Sound familiar?

Yeah, but at the end of the day John was just a guy. John reminded me of a Osi or a Tucker type of guy. When you hear Myles there’s weight to it! Like the greats much like Jason Taylor, Bruce Smith and so on. I do agree with you though. I think Myles has become overrated. Maybe, I expect more from great defensive players as I’ve seen the goat. Myles has been in a bad situation and been a certified hood classing loser. While, TJ Watt has been winning more, causing more chaos and been the undisputed best defender in football the last 5 years. You can say that it’s not fair. But if you look at the QBs the Steelers have had you can see why someone would have that opinion.. I’ve never looked at Myles the way I looked at Donald, Tj, JJ and even a guy like Michael Strahan. 

Myles is too big to not have the impact of a goat… I just feel like he should be doing more with the help he has on defense. Last year against the rams I wasn’t impressed at all with him. It was the 2nd time we’ve played him in his career… I just feel like his level of impact doesn’t reach a certain level that comes out. Honest to god, TJ is just built different. I get the whole he’s the least doubled guy, and he also benefits from a monster D. I was hot watching never get doubled. But he does what the goats do! Destroy and dominate. He’s in the back field 24-7.. I don’t get how he isn’t doubled or tripled! He gets more 1-1 in one game than Donald ever did in his career. But he’s that dude man. I can’t even hate on that man! He’s different. And should realistically have 3-4 DPOY. He puts up sacks like if they were tackles. 

Edited by El Ramster
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Yeah, but at the end of the day John was just a guy. John reminded me of a Osi or a Tucker type of guy. When you hear Myles there’s weight to it! Like the greats much like Jason Taylor, Bruce Smith and so on. I do agree with you though. I think Myles has become overrated. Maybe, I expect more from great defensive players as I’ve seen the goat. Myles has been in a bad situation and been a certified hood classing loser. While, TJ Watt has been winning more, causing more chaos and been the undisputed best defender in football the last 5 years. You can say that it’s not fair. But if you look at the QBs the Steelers have had you can see why someone would have that opinion.. I’ve never looked at Myles the way I looked at Donald, Tj, JJ and even a guy like Michael Strahan. 

John was never "Just a guy." People only thought that because he played for historically losing franchises like the Jets and Atlanta. 

Here's two NFL EDGE guys careers, one is in the HOF, the other isn't. Tell me why the other one isn't?

Player A: 133.5 sacks, 47 FF, 6 FR, 1 INT, 148 TFL over 14 years. (117 PFR AV) 5x PRo Bowl, 2x All-Pro

Player B: 125.5 sacks, 47 FF, 4 FR, 4 INTs, 128 TFL over 16 years. (105 PFR AV) 7x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro

Player A played for historical losers. Player B won a Super Bowl in his career.

Player A is John Abraham. Player B is Dwight Freeney. 

Freeney is considered THE pure pass rusher, where Abraham was actually better throughout their careers as a pass rusher AND Against the run, but doesn't get the same recognition. Abraham was a beast.

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Concerns about the Niners defense? They just let Stafford and kids from his block walk em up the field. Where is Steve Wilks?

Yeah, unfortunately this is a continuation of what we saw last year in the second half of the season.

Lot of the same problems now. Struggles on third and long. Can't finish pressures. They are just gashed up the gut frequently. They want to keep this wide 9 and some single high and it's all just too vanilla. I think no coordinator stands a chance right now if they keep having to run this. 

Wilks is currently volunteer coaching for the charlotte 49ers in the American Athletic Conference.