The good, the bad, the we lost to the panthers

NickButera

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Mark should make a business decision. 

Maybe even his first good one.

Quite frankly I think the reason why the players banged the table for AP is because of the fact that Mark got too involved and has had bad structure for like six years. It's created a dynamic where there's no respect for the GM anymore which is had a cascading affect on the head-coaching selection process because Mark Davis has gotten involved and they know that he doesn't know anything about football so it's created a situation where they think they could pick a better candidate than him. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Simply put the stuff that Caleb Williams did in college doesn't work in the NFL on its own. He needs to play within the office which would require him to learn in NFL offense. A big problem which song would call his biggest strength is actually his arrogance. I was watching hard knocks and he mentioned after the first preseason game that games are easier than practice to him. That's already a problem especially the fact that it came after a preseason game where you're playing vanilla defenses. It's also interesting that the best game he has is against Gus Bradley who is renowned for running the same vanilla cover three. He's not going to play them again. I think that if he humbled himself and dedicated himself to the craft of playing NFL quarterback he could be really good but the problem is it would require him to let go of his pride. 

Physically, Williams has all the tools. 

Mentally, he's inept in numerous ways. 

He was incredibly easy to evaluate objectively. 

When people say so-and-so "creates plays", that translates to "he bs's around and makes highlights against lesser talent" 9 out of 10 times. Saying someone plays within structure doesn't mean they can't go off script when a play breaks down, but they're not reliant on ad-libbing. Caleb was reliant on ad-libbing. Every positive trait about his game had to do with creating plays off script- he throws off base, he escapes the pocket, etc etc. Nothing had to do with having a full, firm command of structured offenses. 

A really good college D may have, what, 2 or 3 legit NFL starting caliber guys, the rare exceptions like Georgia a couple of years ago notwithstanding? Most have none. So creating against them is a lot easier than NFL defenses. 

But Caleb's opinion of himself is next level arrogant and he's still playing like he's in college playing Chuck It and F It ball. That will absolutely be his undoing. And he even struggled against the vanilla scheme Gus runs. Chicago is going to be in for a rude awakening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Caleb was reliant on ad-libbing. Every positive trait about his game had to do with creating plays off script- he throws off base, he escapes the pocket, etc etc. Nothing had to do with having a full, firm command of structured offenses. 

The sucky part is that I heard most of that Chicago roster wanted to keep fields too. Could get the GM fired if it doesn't get turned around quick.

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

The sucky part is that I heard most of that Chicago roster wanted to keep fields too. Could get the GM fired if it doesn't get turned around quick.

Should've never thrown in the towel on Trubisky, honestly. 

Not that I think he would've been great, but they bailed so quickly they kicked off a QB revolving door. Had they stuck with Trubisky another year or so, who knows who falls into their lap. Maybe Stroud? Lol. 

Trubisky was at least serviceable and showed something at one point..

AOC should have been starter the entire time. With that said, I don’t think he’s much better than Minshew, but he IS better. The only thing AOC doesn’t do better is extend plays. AOC is more accurate, better arm, and just sees the field better. 

With that said, this game was a disaster. AP should have NEVER been hired as Head Coach. When will you guys who wanted him as HC EVER learn that doing well as an interim does NOT mean you’ll do well as a HC? You’re riding momentum. Like 90% of interim coaches that do well, fail the next year. Not to mention AP is no where near ready, AND has no scheme. He’s just a Tomlin/John Harbaugh type… he doesn’t have his own scheme. The difference is Tomlin and John have deep connections and know how to get the right guys in. AP is brand new and has no connections. Connections come with 10-15 years of being a coach in the NFL. 

We got destroyed by a washed Dalton and washed Thielen. EMBARRASSING. PATHETIC. This staff will NOT be here next year. I guarantee you that. 

Edited by Tank4Drake

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Should've never thrown in the towel on Trubisky, honestly. 

Not that I think he would've been great, but they bailed so quickly they kicked off a QB revolving door. Had they stuck with Trubisky another year or so, who knows who falls into their lap. Maybe Stroud? Lol. 

Trubisky was at least serviceable and showed something at one point..

Trubisky was a terrible prospect. I would not have drafted him in the first 50 picks. 

4 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

AOC should have been starter the entire time. With that said, I don’t think he’s much better than Minshew, but he IS better. The only thing AOC doesn’t do better is extend plays. AOC is more accurate, better arm, and just sees the field better. 

With that said, this game was a disaster. AP should have NEVER been hired as Head Coach. When will you guys who wanted him as HC EVER learn that doing well as an interim does NOT mean you’ll do well as a HC? You’re riding momentum. Like 90% of interim coaches that do well, fail the next year. Not to mention AP is no where near ready, AND has no scheme. He’s just a Tomlin/John Harbaugh type… he doesn’t have his own scheme. The difference is Tomlin and John have deep connections and know how to get the right guys in. AP is brand new and has no connections. Connections come with 10-15 years of being a coach in the NFL. 

We got destroyed by a washed Dalton and washed Thielen. EMBARRASSING. PATHETIC. This staff will NOT be here next year. I guarantee you that. 

This. 

It's one thing to be a position coach then coordinator then HC. You'll know people. Maybe it works out, maybe not. 

AP had zilch. A bunch of ex HCs several years removed from the NFL. And the lack of connections showed in our haphazard staffing choices. 

• Like 1

Honestly this sort of reminds me of the 06 season. The a vet at QB who was probably the worst option, a young guy who’ll probably be out of the league in a few years behind him. A hall of fame WR being wasted on a middling offense ran by a guy who should be running a bed and breakfast. A HC who just has vibes as their reason to be hired. All we need is one of the DBs to breakout. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Everyone you don't like is a horrible prospect as is everyone you do like lol

No, you only focus on the ones I’m wrong on so it appears that way. 60% of all 1st Round Picks are bust. Even scouts don’t have a 50/50 hit rate. 

I loved Burrow. I wanted to draft Hurts as a project in most of my mock drafts. Loved Andrew Luck. I liked Dak a lot. Loved Russell Wilson. Really liked Kyler (this one is debatable). 

I’ve been right on controversial prospects like Jordan Love when 95% of the draft community hated him.

I’ve certainly had misses. Lance is a huge bust of all busts. But you act like I don’t make a disclaimer on that. Lance I said multiple times is either a superstar or bust. No middle. Same for Love. Same for Malik. Same for Josh Allen. There is no middle ground with these type of guys. 

Malik was looking like a bust but the Titans gave him the worst WR core in the NFL, Bottom 5 OL, and a defensive minded coaching staff. He looks tremendous with LaFleur. He’s a really really good dude too. Hope he succeeds and gets signed as a starter somewhere. 

The biggest issue with this team is Getsy and the insistence on running the ball on every single play. The OL needs to be redone to be: Miller, JPJ, James, Parham, Glaze/Munford going forward. This run blocking is pitiful and I see no offensive adjustments. 

The panthers probably played their best game of the season. This was an awful L but if this is the worst of it, the season is certainly not over. That being said, there were a lot of big concerns today and if they don't get cleaned up things could get ugly.

• Like 1