Bears host the Rams Sept 29 Noon on Fox

Braxton Jones could not block Verse.   But good news is we added a power run game.   That helps an Oline so much.   It told in 2nd half.   Frustrating it took 3 games of whining for it to come.  

The pre snap penalties were a problem all day. 

Game pass totally missed a whole Rams drive or big play.  One second I am watching a Bears TD next Rams and on like 2 yard line.  

I told you Fiske and Verse are good.  That was another good Rams draft.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

It was amazing to be in the building for a crazy fun second half. (Got really quiet in the first) but those drives in the 2H looked like a functional offense, still with plenty of room to improve with a rookie still making a few mistakes.

Was really impressed by how the OL held up, especially when Tevin went down (don’t know what that means for him but it looked more like a unit) they weren’t great, but they were good enough 

Tory Taylor is a GOD

It was worth my wife almost getting truck sticked by Jaylon in pregame warmups 

yea, OL was 'good enough' even tho probably Braxton's worst game as a pro. Wright with the killer presnap goofs too ugggh

Enough talent on the OL to be average in pass pro and opening run lanes, and don't shoot us in the foot with presnap nonsense 🤦🏼

Edited by SLCbear

Rewatched the game:

Opening kickoff- illegal formation. Gross

First drive for LAR: Mcvay had an answer for every Bears blitz

Bears have 3 point in four 1st quarters. They start so slow

6:42 left in the 2nd quarter and they 7 penalties for 60 yards. They start so slow

Sweat strip sack, Roschon scores, Bears comes back out for D, and Sweat isn't out there for the next 3 plays, 1st down LAR (they miss a FG). Obviously he can't play every snap, but that's an odd time to have him resting

Williams keeps overthrowing guys, specifically for touchdowns. This cannot keep happening. It's easy to blame everyone but the shiny, new, cool object but this is getting worrisome. That was never an issue at USC but the quick game was. I'd love to know how that has flipped and why. He also stays flat footed, in the pocket specifically, too often. The touch pass to Kmet on the Swift TD run drive was his best pass of the year imo

Everyone saw Braxton getting shoved backwards each snap and the Bears never gave him help, naturally. I'm not sure what their plan was there

Teven Jenkins stinks, and after he was injured, the OL was noticeably better

Darnell Wright has really regressed

Kyler Gordon... woof. I'm not exactly sure what he does

Brisker in coverage (outside of the pick where Taylor smashed Stafford)... woof

Why did they go back to huddling after not huddling on 2 straight scoring drives? I get it on their last drive to ensure as much time is killed as possible, but the drive before that? Blah

Eberflus had a pretty solid game in terms of coaching. They need to come out a lot faster especially against better teams, but they continue to take the ball away. I'd like to see more pressure from the front 4 but it is what it is. I thought he'd be thoroughly outcoached today and it was about even

Tory Taylor was great

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

told you Fiske and Verse are good.  That was another good Rams draft.  

Fwiw it was reported this week, that had we not taken Rome, that Verse was going to be the pick. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Rewatched the game:

Opening kickoff- illegal formation. Gross

First drive for LAR: Mcvay had an answer for every Bears blitz

Bears have 3 point in four 1st quarters. They start so slow

6:42 left in the 2nd quarter and they 7 penalties for 60 yards. They start so slow

Sweat strip sack, Roschon scores, Bears comes back out for D, and Sweat isn't out there for the next 3 plays, 1st down LAR (they miss a FG). Obviously he can't play every snap, but that's an odd time to have him resting

Williams keeps overthrowing guys, specifically for touchdowns. This cannot keep happening. It's easy to blame everyone but the shiny, new, cool object but this is getting worrisome. That was never an issue at USC but the quick game was. I'd love to know how that has flipped and why. He also stays flat footed, in the pocket specifically, too often. The touch pass to Kmet on the Swift TD run drive was his best pass of the year imo

Everyone saw Braxton getting shoved backwards each snap and the Bears never gave him help, naturally. I'm not sure what their plan was there

Teven Jenkins stinks, and after he was injured, the OL was noticeably better

Darnell Wright has really regressed

Kyler Gordon... woof. I'm not exactly sure what he does

Brisker in coverage (outside of the pick where Taylor smashed Stafford)... woof

Why did they go back to huddling after not huddling on 2 straight scoring drives? I get it on their last drive to ensure as much time is killed as possible, but the drive before that? Blah

Eberflus had a pretty solid game in terms of coaching. They need to come out a lot faster especially against better teams, but they continue to take the ball away. I'd like to see more pressure from the front 4 but it is what it is. I thought he'd be thoroughly outcoached today and it was about even

Tory Taylor was great

One more thing: the Bears sure did give up more chunk plays than I thought they would with this secondary against that WR group

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Where did you sit?

20 yardline behind the Bears bench. Such a fun atmosphere, but Soldier is such a mess, it took almost the whole 3rd Quarter for the stands to fill back up

4 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Wait what

Haha yea so quick story time.

We had field passes pregame to see our friends (a few guys on the Rams staff too) and for some reason Jaylon was still working on his pedal and break on the ball for INTs when we got out there, which is not something I’ve ever really seen that late when we are allowed on. Maybe he was late and that might explain a pretty lackluster game (that’s being nice)

But he was doing toe taps on the sideline, and we are inside the 20, like a yard/maybe two off the white paint (where they tell you to stay) and not once but twice he came flying at us, tapped for the catch and nearly ran my wife over, just barely side stepping her. She has the second one on video, I’ll try to get it uploaded to share here.

Not malicious or anything, obviously. just a funny thing that happened. 

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

I will say, while we won the game because our talent showed through, there’s a lot to be working on still. 

The penalties HAVE to be cleaned up, no argument about that. 10 flags is a loss waiting to happen. But I do want to point a few things out here. 

-The flag on the kickoff had the whole stadium groaning. But he was a guy elevated from the PS, not an excuse, still can’t happen. But is probably why it did (even though they knew the kicks would be going out of the end zone)

-Wright’s flag for lining up in the backfield was BS. I know they are emphasizing this year, but his head was on Shelton’s hip. And the Rams OTs were way more off than he was. (Although it sounds like Wright is getting a reputation for his mental mistakes getting flagged)

-The Blindside block by Braxton was just stupid. What is an offense supposed to do when starting in 1st and 25, much less a sputtering offense

- Both of Kmet’s penalties were on Caleb. And possibly another one we had. But he pulled out from under center like that, can’t do it. And he completely mis-timed the motion. That’s just rookie stuff that needs to be cleaned up.

I heard that I was both right and wrong on the 2pt conversion last week. Flus and others (too many) didn’t relay enough that we needed to go for 2 on that drive if we scored. And then when it was called in after the score, they had lost all the offensive players already (celebrating) and had to take the TO to corral them. They need to be communicating that to Caleb (at least) the entire drive, and others as well. But Caleb also has to know that as the leader of the offense.

I don’t want to say Flus out maneuvered McVey today, but I wouldn’t fight you if you wanted to say he did. Stafford found that soft spot right infront of the 2 deep zone, that didn’t want to get beat deep (Brisker) but most of those throws only Stanford and a few others in the league are consistently connecting on. You may not know those WRs, but they are very good route runners and sure handed. Stanford will pick apart anyone with them if you don’t get in his face.

The OL played pretty solid today, kind of telling they got better as a unit when Tevin went down. Shelton held up this week. He can’t move a garbage can out of the way, but he wasnt sitting in Caleb’s lap today. Nate Davis actually showed up, a nice surprise. Still say Bates can’t get back soon enough.

And lastly, I will never fault DJ Moore for getting annoyed with what they have him doing in this offense right now. He was running Go-Sprints all day. Especially when He shows how special he is on that end zone catch. 

Great win, still plenty to get better on. The Defense is great, the offense is coming. This is a good team. The coaching just needs to let them do what they do best. 

Also, look how much better the RBs did today when they were used in tandem. Swift was used a lot better, getting him outside. Getting him in screens. He is dangerous in those situations (still dances too much, just get upfield sometimes). It it was balanced well with Roschon giving you the power and the versatility that good offenses have.

I still think Homer and Everett and some others were too much of safety blankets for Waldron. Making him actually use his talent is making him move out of his comfort zone, and getting the offense going the right way.