2024 MLB Playoffs Thread

naptownskinsfan

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Nothing turns me into an angrier sports troll than a LOOGY coming in and waking the would be go ahead run instead of pounding the zone and throwing strikes. Irrational anger at our college bullpen flashbacks.

I remember Brian Matusz being a top 5 draft pick and supposed to be this great starter, and he turned into a pumpkin……..but he made a career by almost completely neutralizing David Ortiz.  He hit .138/.167/.241 against Matusz and never got a HR off him. 

I don't think I've ever seen a professional sports broadcast be so consistently bad, in multiple ways, like we just saw with the TBS Yankees-Royals series. One poor showing, I can understand. I've directed sports broadcasts before; I understand how it works. But unless your crew personnel is changing every game, there is literally no excuse other than you're just bad or inexperienced at what you're doing.

The camera guys were clearly new. They had no idea how to track fly balls into the outfield. I don't blame the director for this; you have a dedicated camera for plays like this. If the guy doesn't have the shot, and there is no backup, you can't just hold it. Take the camera and hope he finds it.

What I DO blame the director for is the absolutely insane choices of what to show. Multiple times there were just unbelievably dumb choices. The most egregious was cutting to Stanton jogging into 2nd while Soto was hauling *** to go from 1st to 3rd, of which we only saw the final slide. You had the shot! It's formulaic, shooting baseball. Go where you are supposed to! It's not an arthouse film. I also blame him for OK'ing the George Brett slobber fest and the interviews in the middle of the game. Not showing the baseball in a playoff series to instead show someone talking is so bad. And they straight up missed pitches for that! You can't do that!

And I can't believe how bad Costas was. The most self-absorbed, infuriating commentary I've ever heard. He turned every game in Bob Costas story time. There was the blatantly wrong descriptions of what was happening on the field ("Base hit to center field"). Then there was the obsession over talking about Stanton not running well. Then there was the utter contempt in his voice at the games biggest moments. Ending a playoff game with a monotone "and that's that" made me squirm.

Just the absolute worst. I'm glad the Yankees ended it last night, mainly because I couldn't take another 3 hours of that broadcast. It was infuriating. Never again, TBS.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Judge actually had a better series than Witt lol. I'm sure KC fans will pretend Witt is the MVP bc small market tho

Or it'll be because Witt was worth 10.4 fWAR and the rest of the Royals bats were worth 9.6 fWAR. Not saying he's the MVP but it's not like Royals fans (and others) would be without merit voting for him.

22 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I don't think I've ever seen a professional sports broadcast be so consistently bad, in multiple ways, like we just saw with the TBS Yankees-Royals series. One poor showing, I can understand. I've directed sports broadcasts before; I understand how it works. But unless your crew personnel is changing every game, there is literally no excuse other than you're just bad or inexperienced at what you're doing.

The camera guys were clearly new. They had no idea how to track fly balls into the outfield. I don't blame the director for this; you have a dedicated camera for plays like this. If the guy doesn't have the shot, and there is no backup, you can't just hold it. Take the camera and hope he finds it.

What I DO blame the director for is the absolutely insane choices of what to show. Multiple times there were just unbelievably dumb choices. The most egregious was cutting to Stanton jogging into 2nd while Soto was hauling *** to go from 1st to 3rd, of which we only saw the final slide. You had the shot! It's formulaic, shooting baseball. Go where you are supposed to! It's not an arthouse film. I also blame him for OK'ing the George Brett slobber fest and the interviews in the middle of the game. Not showing the baseball in a playoff series to instead show someone talking is so bad. And they straight up missed pitches for that! You can't do that!

And I can't believe how bad Costas was. The most self-absorbed, infuriating commentary I've ever heard. He turned every game in Bob Costas story time. There was the blatantly wrong descriptions of what was happening on the field ("Base hit to center field"). Then there was the obsession over talking about Stanton not running well. Then there was the utter contempt in his voice at the games biggest moments. Ending a playoff game with a monotone "and that's that" made me squirm.

Just the absolute worst. I'm glad the Yankees ended it last night, mainly because I couldn't take another 3 hours of that broadcast. It was infuriating. Never again, TBS.

This is good insight into things just beyond Costas.  

So I actually met Melanie Newman right outside my work the day after the Orioles regular season ended.  She does some of the on-air broadcasts for MASN and she does the pre/post game shows.  She said she was waiting for her Uber to the airport to join one of the networks for playoff coverage.  Ben McDonald was on ESPN for the Orioles/Royals series as a roving reporter, as was Jeff Passan.  

Why wouldn’t they be able to hire some of the guys who have been doing this for the entire season from the local networks?  Seems like that would be a better fit? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This is good insight into things just beyond Costas.  

So I actually met Melanie Newman right outside my work the day after the Orioles regular season ended.  She does some of the on-air broadcasts for MASN and she does the pre/post game shows.  She said she was waiting for her Uber to the airport to join one of the networks for playoff coverage.  Ben McDonald was on ESPN for the Orioles/Royals series as a roving reporter, as was Jeff Passan.  

Why wouldn’t they be able to hire some of the guys who have been doing this for the entire season from the local networks?  Seems like that would be a better fit? 

I have no idea, honestly. I never understood how the contracts work for professional broadcast talent. I never had to worry about it though. Where I worked, we were very small time. But I agree 100%. Anyone would have been better than Costas. 

I have a low key crush on Melanie Newman.