Trade Deadline Discussion

Packerraymond

I want a pass rusher outside of Gary. Preston looks like he is finally on his last wheels, LVN hasn't developed into a impact player, and frankly I think if you can potentially add a 10+ sack guy that would unlock Gary, Wyatt, and Clark more. Sometimes you have to mortgage the future a bit to get over the hump. Detroit is also in need of an impact player there and stealing one (Especially Crosby) would be worth the price. You not only hurt the Lions but you improve that defense drastically. 

Crosby would be my #1 but probably unrealistic. Reddick and Hendrickson would also be great gets I think. If Crosby is available I think we need to push hard to secure him. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I want a pass rusher outside of Gary. Preston looks like he is finally on his last wheels, LVN hasn't developed into a impact player, and frankly I think if you can potentially add a 10+ sack guy that would unlock Gary, Wyatt, and Clark more. Sometimes you have to mortgage the future a bit to get over the hump. Detroit is also in need of an impact player there and stealing one (Especially Crosby) would be worth the price. You not only hurt the Lions but you improve that defense drastically. 

Crosby would be my #1 but probably unrealistic. Reddick and Hendrickson would also be great gets I think. If Crosby is available I think we need to push hard to secure him. 

Another name I heard tossed around was Myles Garrett. I want Crosyy, mentioned it here a few times. You don't have to give Crosby a new contract. Garrett is ABSOLUTELY going to demand a new deal because his overall cash is so low the next two years in comparison to the other guys hat his position. The Lions could actually afford to give Garrett a new deal with their cap situation. 

Crosby went to Eastern Michigan where a lot of his drug issues happened. Going back to that area may not be the best for him either. 

Edited by Old Guy

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Another name I heard tossed around was Myles Garrett. I want Crosyy, mentioned it here a few times. You don't have to give Crosby a new contract. Garrett is ABSOLUTELY going to demand a new deal because his overall cash is so low the next two years in comparison to the other guys hat his position. The Lions could actually afford to give Garrett a new deal with their cap situation. 

Crosby went to Eastern Michigan where a lot of his drug issues happened. Going back to that area may not be the best for him either. 

I just can't see the Browns getting rid of Garret and have to pay Garrett after this year would be a huge issue with all the decent players that need contracts. 

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

I just can't see the Browns getting rid of Garret and have to pay Garrett after this year would be a huge issue with all the decent players that need contracts. 

Who are you referring to having to pay Garrett after this year? The Browns or the Lions? 

If it's the Lions, who do they really have to pay after this year? Their cap situation is pretty darn good at the moment. Also, without knowing the severity of Hutchinson's injury, there could be long-term concerns what player he comes back as. That was fricking brutal. 

No reason to trade for anyone.  We just gotta let our guys develop more.

We were down QB1 for two games out of the first 6.  4-2.  Everyone would take that.

Defense is trending up.  Label me as not worried about the pass rush.  We have the guys to do it.  We've actually done it quite well this year when we've needed to.  It's a scheme thing.  We played Murray just about as well as a defense could.  And he's a joystick back there at QB.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

We were down QB1 for two games out of the first 6.  4-2.  Everyone would take that.

Defense is trending up.  Label me as not worried about the pass rush.  We have the guys to do it.  We've actually done it quite well this year when we've needed to.  It's a scheme thing.  We played Murray just about as well as a defense could.  And he's a joystick back there at QB.

I'm interested to see how our defense fairs in pass rush the more we play pocket passing QBs. We've played quite a few mobile QBs to start the season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You've been the one down on Gary all this time and I've been the one defending him. 

We are not winning one on one match ups with our DEs against even average OTs. It's a problem that goes deeper than scheme. We are ONE legitimate outside pass rusher away from being the favorites to come out of the NFC. That is not hyperbole. 

Gary isn't getting it done. Neither is Preston Smith. LVN is lost and 55 is a high effort guy who gets the most out of his ability, but he doesn't scare anybody.

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

How did we do against Sam Darnold? 

Im with you. Or Matt Stafford and there beat up O Line. The secondary has enough depth that outside of injuries to Alexander or X they can compete and frankly any team losing their all pros is going to struggle. The pass rush needs help. Getting a premier pass rusher not only on its surface improves the rush but also frees up Gary to be the best version of himself. 

• Like 2

only position I could see them actually making a move at is where injuries have hit.  Maybe 3 tech if they think Wyatt isn't coming back strong/soon, or maybe TE (cheap for someone we probably haven't heard of).

On the TE front i could see a mauling/bruising player being an addition that makes some sense.  I guess Ben Sims is ok, but it's possible there are better 2nd TEs out there.  Someone with some real signficant height and weight like 6-7 260+

Is Darnell Washington available?

58 minutes ago, Eternal said:

I'm interested to see how our defense fairs in pass rush the more we play pocket passing QBs. We've played quite a few mobile QBs to start the season.

Why are you interested in seeing that?  Did you not watch the Titans game?  We obviously have a rush plan for every QB out there.  We obviously have a rush plan for every QB and game situation out there.  And our guys obviously understand their roles.  

To have Gary look like this...and LVN for that matter, and yet no one is complaining to the media?  Take that win for great leadership and communication skills.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

only position I could see them actually making a move at is where injuries have hit.  Maybe 3 tech if they think Wyatt isn't coming back strong/soon, or maybe TE (cheap for someone we probably haven't heard of).

On the TE front i could see a mauling/bruising player being an addition that makes some sense.  I guess Ben Sims is ok, but it's possible there are better 2nd TEs out there.  Someone with some real signficant height and weight like 6-7 260+

Is Darnell Washington available?

If Washington is available it's because the knee issue pre-draft is a real problem or he's a bust. 

Musgrave will be back soon. Sims has been good and we have a FB who can actually block and win doing so. Those are positions I'm not interested in pursuing, but to each his own. 

45 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You've been the one down on Gary all this time and I've been the one defending him. 

We are not winning one on one match ups with our DEs against even average OTs. It's a problem that goes deeper than scheme. We are ONE legitimate outside pass rusher away from being the favorites to come out of the NFC. That is not hyperbole. 

Gary isn't getting it done. Neither is Preston Smith. LVN is lost and 55 is a high effort guy who gets the most out of his ability, but he doesn't scare anybody.

LOL.  No.  I'm not "down" on Gary.  Guys over rate him all the time.  He was a fine pick.  He's worked his tail off.  He earned that second deal.  But he's not elite.  I don't expect him to be elite, because that is not who he is.  He is great at being Rashan Gary.

You box scout really well, though, so yah got that going for yah.

Me?  I'm good with the rush and EDGE guys.  Sacks will come.  4-2 is nice.  Enjoy it.  

• Like 1