2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s a matter of opinion I guess, which is ok. Bc I value RB very high.

Pretty much, neither of us are wrong I just think prioritizing the O-Line will make the Running Back better vs having a RB behind a shaky Line.

Factor that in with the offense, running game specifically, we're going to and they'll likely value Linemen before Backs. That was a Shanahan staple.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Where was Bell picked?

Gurley wasn't good last year they rebuilt that Line and he played better

Fournette has a great O-Line in front of him

Guess you haven't watched much football this year.

Dont patronize me for valuing O-Line over Running Back.

Personally, I value o-line over the RB.  There's a reason you can put any RB behind Dallas' o-line and they'll be successful. I mean honestly, McFadden rushed for nearly 1100 yards before Zeke got there.  He hadn't gotten anywhere near there in 5 years.

3 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Pretty much, neither of us are wrong I just think prioritizing the O-Line will make the Running Back better vs having a RB behind a shaky Line.

Factor that in with the offense, running game specifically, we're going to and they'll likely value Linemen before Backs. That was a Shanahan staple.

Absolutely. But I feel we address OLine in FA for sure at C and possibly even OG making OL a strength for us actually. So in turn the only thing missing for a good run game would be a good RB which we don’t have. Powell I feel is overrated an he’s 30, he’s actually very cuttable if we do decide to address RB via FA and draft.

4 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Personally, I value o-line over the RB.  There's a reason you can put any RB behind Dallas' o-line and they'll be successful. I mean honestly, McFadden rushed for nearly 1100 yards before Zeke got there.  He hadn't gotten anywhere near there in 5 years.

Yeah, part of the reason I hated that they passed on Ramsey when their defense was a mess.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely. But I feel we address OLine in FA for sure at C and possibly even OG making OL a strength for us actually. So in turn the only thing missing for a good run game would be a good RB which we don’t have. Powell I feel is overrated an he’s 30, he’s actually very cuttable if we do decide to address RB via FA and draft.

Powell is NOT overrated(I'm sensitive about Powell) anyway say we do get Norwell and Jensen to replace Carpenter and Johnson for example, is Winters still the guy at RG? He's more a Power guy IMO. Shell at RT should be fine, Beachum good at LT. In that case I'd probably hold off on that last piece but even still wouldn't go RB.

EDGE and Corner are big needs and Davenport or Jackson could be had there.

This running back class is really deep.

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

How is 4.8 YPC behind terrible o-lines over the past two years overrated?

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Powell is NOT overrated(I'm sensitive about Powell) anyway say we do get Norwell and Jensen to replace Carpenter and Johnson for example, is Winters still the guy at RG? He's more a Power guy IMO. Shell at RT should be fine, Beachum good at LT. In that case I'd probably hold off on that last piece but even still wouldn't go RB.

EDGE and Corner are big needs and Davenport or Jackson could be had there.

This running back class is really deep.

I really only see difference making RBs in Barkley, Jones III, Michel and Guice quite frankly. I think guys after that might be good, but not great. And I’d like to see us get back to a great run game, especially with boosting the OLine. Our defense alone will get better just by our offense being better and making the defense not in the field as long. I want Edge addressed as well... but I don’t see 6th pick talent in Davenport. I do see that with Chubb though. Where I’d get torn is if we signed Cousins and both Chubb and Barkley were on the board, who would I want.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

How is 4.8 YPC behind terrible o-lines over the past two years overrated?

Bc it’s on limited touches. Which for sure skews stats for starters but also allows him to run harder bc he knows he’s not getting a full workload. He’s averaged on 10 carries a game in that time frame you mentioned let’s not forget. He also will be 30 mid season next year. I just think he shouldn’t be starting RB for this team. Go target RB early in the draft and make that guy a feature back. Let McGuire and whoever get the other 10 or so touches a game. Powell if you watched last year looked quite a bit slower than previous years as well. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc it’s on limited touches. Which for sure skews stats for starters but also allows him to run harder bc he knows he’s not getting a full workload. He’s averaged on 10 carries a game in that time frame you mentioned let’s not forget. He also will be 30 mid season next year. I just think he shouldn’t be starting RB for this team. Go target RB early in the draft and make that guy a feature back. Let McGuire and whoever get the other 10 or so touches a game. Powell if you watched last year looked quite a bit slower than previous years as well. 

LOL, it skews stats because he can run harder because he's not on a full workload.  WOW.  Ok Bobby.  That's a first.  So you're saying starters don't give 110% on every play?  You're saying they tone it down?  These guys are in sick shape man.  

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I really only see difference making RBs in Barkley, Jones III, Michel and Guice quite frankly. I think guys after that might be good, but not great. And I’d like to see us get back to a great run game, especially with boosting the OLine. Our defense alone will get better just by our offense being better and making the defense not in the field as long. I want Edge addressed as well... but I don’t see 6th pick talent in Davenport. I do see that with Chubb though. Where I’d get torn is if we signed Cousins and both Chubb and Barkley were on the board, who would I want.

I'd throw Penny on that list.  I am really high on him.  

40 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Where was Bell picked?

Gurley wasn't good last year they rebuilt that Line and he played better

Fournette has a great O-Line in front of him

Guess you haven't watched much football this year.

Dont patronize me for valuing O-Line over Running Back.

Offensive guards are a dine a dozen. It is thinking like that is why we are 5-11 ever year.

Brandon Moore took 2 years to be everyday starter for Jets. He was UDFA.  Jets have always drafted "developmental" Gs.  I believe Mangold is the best IOL taken by Jets ever.

Bilal Powell has never been considered a primary RB so how could we call him an overrated RB?

I don't believe that RB is in the book for BPA so if Maccagnan passed on Barkley, it wasn't because RB class is deep. Jets want to improve the run game for critical situations only so they will need to fix OL.

Also, it is crazy to pass on top prospect at 6th, citing "deep" on certain position as the reason.  After top 15, you can use "deep" position as an excuse.

56 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

LOL, it skews stats because he can run harder because he's not on a full workload.  WOW.  Ok Bobby.  That's a first.  So you're saying starters don't give 110% on every play?  You're saying they tone it down?  These guys are in sick shape man.  

So you think a player that's fresh and is used sparingly isn't going to get more out of his touches than a guy that's getting hit 3 times more often carrying or receiving the ball? WOW is right. I don't know how you cant see that. Hence why teams like rotating players more and more now, so players are more fresh throughout the game. So yes absolutely Powell only touching the ball 10 times a game is going to be more fresh than a guy like Bell who's getting it 35 times. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out. So yes he should get more out of his touches bc his legs and body don't have the toll on them throughout the game like a regular back. Like I said its a skewed stat. I'd also like to point out that his ypc isn't anything incredible. Its pretty average actually. So considering how fresh he is with how average his YPC is. He's nothing great. We easily could upgrade from him.

Archived