2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

24 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Brandon Moore took 2 years to be everyday starter for Jets. He was UDFA.  Jets have always drafted "developmental" Gs.  I believe Mangold is the best IOL taken by Jets ever.

Bilal Powell has never been considered a primary RB so how could we call him an overrated RB?

I don't believe that RB is in the book for BPA so if Maccagnan passed on Barkley, it wasn't because RB class is deep. Jets want to improve the run game for critical situations only so they will need to fix OL.

Also, it is crazy to pass on top prospect at 6th, citing "deep" on certain position as the reason.  After top 15, you can use "deep" position as an excuse.

Bc as it stands now, he's slated to be our starting RB if we don't address the position. Which quite frankly I don't think he's good enough to be a starter.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc as it stands now, he's slated to be our starting RB if we don't address the position. Which quite frankly I don't think he's good enough to be a starter.

He isn't an actual starter for sure. He just happened to be on the field a lot.  Started 10 out of 15 games last year and 11 out of 16 games back in 2013.  That is all.  If Bowles and Bates actually scale back from pass first offense then I don't expect Powell as a starting RB at all. Mcguire or some pickup via FA or draft will get more started games than Powell.

Big problem on Powell part was his receiving duty has diminished last year. Need to watch out for that part.

45 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Yeah because we've drafted OG far too many times.

We drafted some top guards in our history, Dave Hermann, Dan Alexander,  & Randy Rasmusssen, unfortunately the current & past regimes, over the past 12 years won't draft offensive  players. Another reason we are  5-11 team ever year.  

4 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

He isn't an actual starter for sure. He just happened to be on the field a lot.  Started 10 out of 15 games last year and 11 out of 16 games back in 2013.  That is all.  If Bowles and Bates actually scale back from pass first offense then I don't expect Powell as a starting RB at all. Mcguire or some pickup via FA or draft will get more started games than Powell.

Big problem on Powell part was his receiving duty has diminished last year. Need to watch out for that part.

And that's my point. He didn't start bc of Forte. Forte will be cut, there's nearly a 100% we cut him. So that makes Powell starter. And like I stated... he quite frankly just isn't good enough to start. We need a good/great RB finally. We have several picks in which we can try and get one. RB is an easier for a rookie to start right away. Powell has lost a step and isn't the guy we think of him as 2-3 years ago when we wanted him to get more touches. If anything McGuire is more dangerous than him, especially receiving the ball. But a quality pick to get a RB is at the top of my need. Like I stated Powell will be 30 shortly into the year. That's very old for a RB to still be getting quality touches. Never mind on a rebuilding team.

3 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

We drafted some top guards in our history, Dave Hermann, Dan Alexander,  & Randy Rasmusssen, unfortunately the current & past regimes, over the past 12 years won't draft offensive  players. Another reason we are  5-11 team ever year.  

We're talking about now, the only significant OL we've drafted since 2010 are Vlad Ducasse, Brian Winters, and Brandon Shell. Only She'll will probably be here long term most likely.

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And that's my point. He didn't start bc of Forte. Forte will be cut, there's nearly a 100% we cut him. So that makes Powell starter. And like I stated... he quite frankly just isn't good enough to start. We need a good/great RB finally. We have several picks in which we can try and get one. RB is an easier for a rookie to start right away. Powell has lost a step and isn't the guy we think of him as 2-3 years ago when we wanted him to get more touches. If anything McGuire is more dangerous than him, especially receiving the ball. But a quality pick to get a RB is at the top of my need. Like I stated Powell will be 30 shortly into the year. That's very old for a RB to still be getting quality touches. Never mind on a rebuilding team.

Oh, sure... Let's hope a bunch of non RB prospects will have stood out at the combine so that way Jets can find a starting RB in 4th or 5th round.

41 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So you think a player that's fresh and is used sparingly isn't going to get more out of his touches than a guy that's getting hit 3 times more often carrying or receiving the ball? WOW is right. I don't know how you cant see that. Hence why teams like rotating players more and more now, so players are more fresh throughout the game. So yes absolutely Powell only touching the ball 10 times a game is going to be more fresh than a guy like Bell who's getting it 35 times. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out. So yes he should get more out of his touches bc his legs and body don't have the toll on them throughout the game like a regular back. Like I said its a skewed stat. I'd also like to point out that his ypc isn't anything incredible. Its pretty average actually. So considering how fresh he is with how average his YPC is. He's nothing great. We easily could upgrade from him.

Bell rushes the ball 20 times a game and is literally the only guy in the league who does that.  The majority of RB's get between 10-15 like Powell.  Only 10 rushed more than 15 times a game last year and only Bell was over 18, so you're telling me those 1-8 carries really make a difference right?  They don't.  Now obviously guys catch the ball and get hit there too.  Less than 5 RB's average more than 4 catches a game.  So some of the RB's in the league are getting hit 10 times more than Powell a game, but most aren't.   Most are getting 5 more TOPS.  This isn't the old NFL where every RB rushes an insane amount every game.  Also, 4.8 YPC over the past 2 years is top 10 in the league.  Kim Martin had a running joke when she used to write in NY that Powell was the most underutilized and underrated back in the league.  If the majority of the league was getting Bell type touches, i'd agree with you.

49 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

We're talking about now, the only significant OL we've drafted since 2010 are Vlad Ducasse, Brian Winters, and Brandon Shell. Only She'll will probably be here long term most likely.

And I will say it again Jet GMs haven't gone big time in years for offensive talent, What is why we 5-11 every  year.

30 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Bell rushes the ball 20 times a game and is literally the only guy in the league who does that.  The majority of RB's get between 10-15 like Powell.  Only 10 rushed more than 15 times a game last year and only Bell was over 18, so you're telling me those 1-8 carries really make a difference right?  They don't.  Now obviously guys catch the ball and get hit there too.  Less than 5 RB's average more than 4 catches a game.  So some of the RB's in the league are getting hit 10 times more than Powell a game, but most aren't.   Most are getting 5 more TOPS.  This isn't the old NFL where every RB rushes an insane amount every game.  Also, 4.8 YPC over the past 2 years is top 10 in the league.  Kim Martin had a running joke when she used to write in NY that Powell was the most underutilized and underrated back in the league.  If the majority of the league was getting Bell type touches, i'd agree with you.

He averaged 4.3 I believe this last season. Which shows decline. And if you actually watch Powell you can see a decline. He’s for sure lost a step. Which made him less affective. I actually have normally been a Powell supporter. But we need in with the new and out with the old at RB. I think we cut Forte quickly but I bet well could see us get a RB in FA and then get one on the draft and than cut Powell. There’s not a real spot in the nfl for RBs losing a step at 30yrs old on a rebuilding team.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He averaged 4.3 I believe this last season. Which shows decline. And if you actually watch Powell you can see a decline. He’s for sure lost a step. Which made him less affective. I actually have normally been a Powell supporter. But we need in with the new and out with the old at RB. I think we cut Forte quickly but I bet well could see us get a RB in FA and then get one on the draft and than cut Powell. There’s not a real spot in the nfl for RBs losing a step at 30yrs old on a rebuilding team.

I don't think he's lost a step. I think our o-line is horrific. Also, I'm onboard for drafting an RB early. Always have been. I just don't see Powell as being overrated. 

9 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

If we sign Cousins all options are on the table. Wouldn’t surprise me if one of Nelson/Barkley/Fitzpatrick were the pick. 

Drafting Barkley in a RB rich draft is no different then drafting Adams was in a S rich draft. If he’s the BPA you still take him regardless who will be available in rounds 2-7. 

This^ 

Plus gaurds are found all over the draft like people are always saying RBs are but way more so.

Barkley is a freak of nature.

4 minutes ago, MoLewis57 said:

This^ 

Plus gaurds are found all over the draft like people are always saying RBs are but way more so.

Barkley is a freak of nature.

Barkley is a freak of nature... though I'd argue Nelson is a bigger freak of nature relative to other guard prospects than Barkley is relative to other RB prospects in recent years.  I think Fournette, Zeke, and Gurley were are high rated prospects than Barkley is.  I can't think of a guard in recent memory who I'd rate ahead of Nelson.

40 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Barkley is a freak of nature... though I'd argue Nelson is a bigger freak of nature relative to other guard prospects than Barkley is relative to other RB prospects in recent years.  I think Fournette, Zeke, and Gurley were are high rated prospects than Barkley is.  I can't think of a guard in recent memory who I'd rate ahead of Nelson.

Really? Zach Martin?

Just because there have been better RB prospects than Gaurd prospects (really a few down years for o linemen) as of late doesn't mean that a good gaurd prospect should be taken over Barkley.

31 minutes ago, MoLewis57 said:

Really? Zach Martin?

Just because there have been better RB prospects than Gaurd prospects (really a few down years for o linemen) as of late doesn't mean that a good gaurd prospect should be taken over Barkley.

Zach Martin is a very good player, but i don't think he was as highly regarded at this point in the process.

The difference is for me that this offense is in a huge need for a difference maker at a skill position. Barkley would give us that. An OG would certainly help this team, but not in the same way a star RB would IMO. Barkley I don't see as the only good RB prospect but he certainly is the best one of the bunch. Same way as Hernandez, Smith and Wynn are other good OG prospects but a step below Nelson. I also think that we address OG in FA I might add.

Archived