2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

3 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

There a real good chance that will happen, I got a gut feeling Mac is going to play it safe, and see who drops to us at 6, that is his D&A

You figure Chubb, Nelson, Jackson, Barkley, McGlinchey, Williams, Davenport, Fitzpatrick will all be there. We could move down 3 or 4 spots and still get someone and add some depth in the middle of the draft with a couple extra picks.

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

I agree the #6 pick is our future, it is our only chance of getting a QB, unless Mac trades up.

That's why I want to go hard after Cousins. Allows you to have your guy at QB for the near future and then you can draft for example a Kyle Lauletta in the 3rd or 4th and develop him without pressure to start and see what happens in the next few years. You can continue this process by drafting a guy every other year so when Cousins is done you either have his successor or when his guaranteed money is up you move on and play the young guy.

6 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

That's why I want to go hard after Cousins. Allows you to have your guy at QB for the near future and then you can draft for example a Kyle Lauletta in the 3rd or 4th and develop him without pressure to start and see what happens in the next few years. You can continue this process by drafting a guy every other year so when Cousins is done you either have his successor or when his guaranteed money is up you move on and play the young guy.

If for some reason if Cousins ends up NY, we will have our cake and eat it to, which would solve most off our problems. Then we will have 4 good picks to fill more holes,#6 #37 #49 #72

32 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

IMO there's no QB worth trading up for this draft. I used to say Rosen, but I've actually cooled down on how good I think he is.

That is up to Mac what he is going to do right now I am sure he is going to sit tight till the first two picks are taken, then Plan B will kick in what ever that is. IMO that is the best way to play the draft, it is the only one that makes sense. The whole Key to our draft is the first two picks by the Browns & Giants. Rosen is till the best QB in the draft he is pro ready and has the best arm. Right now we are in a very precarious position, as many as four QB could go before we draft. I sure don't want to go 5-11 again this year with a 39 year old QB. All I heard for six months on this board that this is the year of the QB'S. If it was up me I would sit tight and see who falls to us.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

That is up to Mac what he is going to do right now I am sure he is going to sit tight till the first two picks are taken, then Plan B will kick in what ever that is. IMO that is the best way to play the draft, it is the only one that makes sense. The whole Key to our draft is the first two picks by the Browns & Giants. Rosen is till the best QB in the draft he is pro ready and has the best arm. Right now we are in a very precarious position, as many as four QB could go before we draft. I sure don't want to go 5-11 again this year with a 39 year old QB. All I heard for six months on this board that this is the year of the QB'S. If it was up me I would sit tight and see who falls to us.

Plan A is to sign Cousins 1st off. It’s clear we will have interest in him. Plan B could even still be another FA QB like Bridgewater for all we know. Then the plans go from there to the draft. Plan A doesn’t involve anyone in the draft. Plan A is Cousins whether people like that are not... it’s a fact.

21 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Also 1 weak link in your O-Line breaks the entire thing down. Grabbing the Back is important but you can easily swap out Backs and take the committee approach which almost all great teams do. I'd prefer us making sure we have stud OL and DL win the trench battles week in and week out.

For sure, but you have to start building it at some point.

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Plan A is to sign Cousins 1st off. It’s clear we will have interest in him. Plan B could even still be another FA QB like Bridgewater for all we know. Then the plans go from there to the draft. Plan A doesn’t involve anyone in the draft. Plan A is Cousins whether people like that are not... it’s a fact.

No argument from me, like I said yesterday if we sign Cousins we would have our cake and eat it too. But I am very skeptical that we can sign Cousins. With the money we have we can get at least two top players in the FA market maybe three. But the QB is the big worry, if for some reason one of the QB's in the draft drops to us at 6 than we don't have to worry about Plan B. Knowing Mac I am sure he is going to sit with the # 6 overall pick, and I think that is the right thing to do. I think the Vikings are going to hold on to Bridgewater. DRAFT day is going to be nerve racking, our whole future will be on the line that day. My dream, and it is only a dream I would love to get one of the QB's in the draft, even if that player had to hold a clip board for a year, we could play McCown, for one more year. It work years ago when we draft Namath, Todd, Kenny O'Brien, and even Chad. But like my wife says I live in the past.

Mentioned yesterday that when I had time, that I'd touch on how I don't think Macc has drafted well. And give examples of how I would have drafted. This isn't hindsight, bc veteran members on here will recall me wanting these guys I will show you. All these guys weren't reaches at the respected spots. They were all drafted after and very close to our actual pick.

1. We draft Leo Williams. I wasn't a fan of this pick at all, not bc he didn't have talent but that we already had Mo, Sheldon and Snacks on the DLine. I really think this draft pick was the start of what broke up this DLine. Bc it in turn made us think we could move on from Snacks, later resign Mo to way too big of a deal and trade Sheldon.

Who I would have drafted: Vic Beasley. True legit edge that we had been craving for years. Gosh to think what he could have done with this defense and allowed us to keep the DLine potentially together.

2. We draft Devin Smith. I didn't hate this pick, but didn't like it either. I feel bad for Macc on this pick bc he didn't have an injury history yet has been injured his whole career.

Who I would have drafted: Eric Kendrick. A do it all ILB that could play sideline to sideline for us. We needed speed at this point and he offered that.

3. We traded back this pick and drafted Lozo who hasn't don't much. Might not even make the roster in 2018.

Who I would have drafted: Duke Johnson. I like his combination of receiving and running ability. I actually still think he's a great talent, just plays for a horrible team.

4. We traded up for Bryce Petty. Guy never really showed legit NFL talent IMO.

Who I would have drafted: TJ Clemmings. Kind of an odd career at OT. Has showed good moments and has shown bad moments.

5. We drafted Jarvis Harrison who I don't think ever played a game for us.

Who I would have drafted: Tony Lippett. I liked his skill set although he really hasn't done much. He still could be a steal at CB if he stays healthy.

7. We drafted Deion Simon who actually I like as a player. I didn't know much on the guys this late so I didn't really have a guy I wanted here.

1. We draft Darron Lee. I really disliked this pick and still do. This is a make or break year for him. And I hope he shows up big, but I still don't like the pick.

Who I would have drafted: Josh Doctson. Doctson has had his struggles but looked to be getting better this year. Don't think he will be what I thought he would be as a #1 WR, but he still looks to maybe be better than Lee arguably.

2. We draft Christian Hackenberg. I wasn't a fan of this pick either. I actually like Hack's skill set... I just this was a reach for him. He still hasn't even taken a snap for us.

Who I would have drafted: Deion Jones. I actually liked Deion Jones more than any other ILB in this draft class really. I believe @jetskid007 turned me on to him. He looks like the next great ILB in Atlanta now.

3. We draft Jordan Jenkins. I actually really liked this pick.

Who I would have drafted: Jordan Jenkins. I actually mocked him to us in this very spot several times.

4. We draft Justin Burris. Didn't know much about Burris. He has struggled big time in his Jets career so far.

Who I would have drafted: Devontae Booker. At this point we still didn't have a young RB. I liked Bookers mix of receiving ability and rushing ability.

5. We traded up for Brandon Shell. I actually liked this pick as well. I mocked him to us several times that year.

Who I would have drafted: Brandon Shell.

7. We draft Lac Edwards. I mean its a punter so its hard to get excited about it, but we needed a punter so I liked it I guess.

Who I would have drafted: I really have no clue when it comes to 7th rounders so I rely on the scouting department.

7. We draft Charon Peake. I liked this pick a lot at the time actually. High risk, high reward type player which I'm all for late in drafts.

Who I would have drafted: same as above... I don't know much about 7th rounders.

1. We draft Jamal Adams. I liked this pick. We need a S and he was a top player on the draft board.

Who I would have drafted: Jamal Adams. I liked this pick.

2. We draft Marcus Maye. I actually really disliked this pick. Not bc of Maye's skill set, but bc of who was still on the board. Maye actually was a pleasant surprise for us this year and I hope he makes me eat my words.

Who I would have drafted: Dalvin Cook. I loved this guys running and receiving style. He's a do it all back. He was on a tear before he got injured for Minnesota. I feel his off the field stuff was overblown

3. We trade back and draft Ardarius Stewart. Minnesota actually draft the guy who I wanted with the pick we traded away in Pat Elflein. Stewart is a tbd grade bc he barely played.

Who I wanted us to draft: Pat Elflein. We needed a C bad and that was clear all season and still is.

4. We trade back again and draft Chad Hansen. Hansen has a tbd grade as well bc he barely played. But at our original spot Perine got drafted who I wanted.

Who I would have drafted: Jake Butt. I thought he was a great guy for us to take a risk on. 1st Round TE talent but was coming off an injury. I felt he was a steal here for a rebuilding franchise.

5. We draft Jordan Leggett. Leggett is a tbd as well bc he was injured all season.

Who I wanted us to draft: Desmond King. I liked his ball hawk ability and thought he would match up well with Adams. He has a solid rookie year as well just like Maye, but could have been had a couple Rounds later.

5. We draft Dylan Donahue. I didn't know much about Donahue. Small school guy that has a high motor. He's a tbd grade as well being he was injured all year.

Who I would have drafted: Jordan Evans. I liked his combo of size and speed at ILB. Evans didn't do much as a rookie but at least got some PT.

6. We draft Elijah McGuire. I didn't hate this pick at all. I just thought RB should have been addressed years ago and earlier in the draft. But I actually liked McGuires skill set.

Who I would have drafted: Bucky Hodges. I liked his combo of athleticism and size. Hodges did nothing as a rookie really.

6. We draft Jeremy Clark. I actually didn't mind this draft pick. Guy that had talent but couldn't stay healthy. I like taking risks like this in the 6th and 7th Rounds.

Who I would have drafted: Conor McDermott. He did nothing as a rookie.

6. We draft Derrick Jones. Didn't know much about Jones either. Didn't hate the pick just like Clark. Seemed like a risk that is worth taking late.

Who I would have drafted: Brad Kaaya. I figured he couldn't be any worse than Petty.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Mentioned yesterday that when I had time, that I'd touch on how I don't think Macc has drafted well. And give examples of how I would have drafted. This isn't hindsight, bc veteran members on here will recall me wanting these guys I will show you. All these guys weren't reaches at the respected spots. They were all drafted after and very close to our actual pick.

1. We draft Leo Williams. I wasn't a fan of this pick at all, not bc he didn't have talent but that we already had Mo, Sheldon and Snacks on the DLine. I really think this draft pick was the start of what broke up this DLine. Bc it in turn made us think we could move on from Snacks, later resign Mo to way too big of a deal and trade Sheldon.

Who I would have drafted: Vic Beasley. True legit edge that we had been craving for years. Gosh to think what he could have done with this defense and allowed us to keep the DLine potentially together.

Mo was refusing to sign a long term deal and Sheldon had substance issues, we took the consensus best play in the draft because we knew we'd lose at least one of Mo or Sheldon.

2. We draft Devin Smith. I didn't hate this pick, but didn't like it either. I feel bad for Macc on this pick bc he didn't have an injury history yet has been injured his whole career.

Who I would have drafted: Eric Kendrick. A do it all ILB that could play sideline to sideline for us. We needed speed at this point and he offered that.

Smith was drafted to give Geno Smith a deep weapon to take advantage of his arm

3. We traded back this pick and drafted Lozo who hasn't don't much. Might not even make the roster in 2018.

Who I would have drafted: Duke Johnson. I like his combination of receiving and running ability. I actually still think he's a great talent, just plays for a horrible team.

We had Ivory and Powell, not sure RB was a priority

4. We traded up for Bryce Petty. Guy never really showed legit NFL talent IMO.

Who I would have drafted: TJ Clemmings. Kind of an odd career at OT. Has showed good moments and has shown bad moments.

That's likely why he was a 4th round pick, I don't think the expectation was anything more than a high upside player.

5. We drafted Jarvis Harrison who I don't think ever played a game for us.

Who I would have drafted: Tony Lippett. I liked his skill set although he really hasn't done much. He still could be a steal at CB if he stays healthy.

Revis, Skrine, Cro, Milliner and McDougle were on the roster at this point

7. We drafted Deion Simon who actually I like as a player. I didn't know much on the guys this late so I didn't really have a guy I wanted here.

1. We draft Darron Lee. I really disliked this pick and still do. This is a make or break year for him. And I hope he shows up big, but I still don't like the pick.

Who I would have drafted: Josh Doctson. Doctson has had his struggles but looked to be getting better this year. Don't think he will be what I thought he would be as a #1 WR, but he still looks to maybe be better than Lee arguably.

We just invested a 2nd round pick in a WR and had Decker and Marshall coming off 1000 yard seasons, we also lost Demario Davis to FA. We took the fastest LB in the draft because we have been killed without speed there.

2. We draft Christian Hackenberg. I wasn't a fan of this pick either. I actually like Hack's skill set... I just this was a reach for him. He still hasn't even taken a snap for us.

Who I would have drafted: Deion Jones. I actually liked Deion Jones more than any other ILB in this draft class really. I believe @jetskid007 turned me on to him. He looks like the next great ILB in Atlanta now.

I don't like the pick but I know that Hack was not a Macc pick (only recently found this out), regardless we needed to take a stab at a QB with Geno and Petty being the only ones on the roster. We didn't have many options in FA for QBs

3. We draft Jordan Jenkins. I actually really liked this pick.

Who I would have drafted: Jordan Jenkins. I actually mocked him to us in this very spot several times.

I like the pick too

4. We draft Justin Burris. Didn't know much about Burris. He has struggled big time in his Jets career so far.

Who I would have drafted: Devontae Booker. At this point we still didn't have a young RB. I liked Bookers mix of receiving ability and rushing ability.

We had Forte and Powell, we lost Cro, Milliner, and McDougle

5. We traded up for Brandon Shell. I actually liked this pick as well. I mocked him to us several times that year.

Who I would have drafted: Brandon Shell.

No issue with pick

7. We draft Lac Edwards. I mean its a punter so its hard to get excited about it, but we needed a punter so I liked it I guess.

Who I would have drafted: I really have no clue when it comes to 7th rounders so I rely on the scouting department.

No issue

7. We draft Charon Peake. I liked this pick a lot at the time actually. High risk, high reward type player which I'm all for late in drafts.

Who I would have drafted: same as above... I don't know much about 7th rounders.

Not sure any 7th round pick can be considered high risk

1. We draft Jamal Adams. I liked this pick. We need a S and he was a top player on the draft board.

Who I would have drafted: Jamal Adams. I liked this pick.

Agreed

2. We draft Marcus Maye. I actually really disliked this pick. Not bc of Maye's skill set, but bc of who was still on the board. Maye actually was a pleasant surprise for us this year and I hope he makes me eat my words.

Who I would have drafted: Dalvin Cook. I loved this guys running and receiving style. He's a do it all back. He was on a tear before he got injured for Minnesota. I feel his off the field stuff was overblown

Dalvin Cook was never on our board, I loved him as a player but I don't believe he was ever an option for us with our locker room.

3. We trade back and draft Ardarius Stewart. Minnesota actually draft the guy who I wanted with the pick we traded away in Pat Elflein. Stewart is a tbd grade bc he barely played.

Who I wanted us to draft: Pat Elflein. We needed a C bad and that was clear all season and still is.

For what it's worth Elflien ranked 32nd as a center so I think it's too early to tell on this pick but we did have an unproven center on the roster already so it made sense to want to try him our before investing in the position. Also keep in mind we netted Donahue and McGuire along with Stewart because of that trade down.

4. We trade back again and draft Chad Hansen. Hansen has a tbd grade as well bc he barely played. But at our original spot Perine got drafted who I wanted.

Who I would have drafted: Jake Butt. I thought he was a great guy for us to take a risk on. 1st Round TE talent but was coming off an injury. I felt he was a steal here for a rebuilding franchise.

I don't have an issue with the WR pick back to back considering we lost Marshall and Decker

5. We draft Jordan Leggett. Leggett is a tbd as well bc he was injured all season.

Who I wanted us to draft: Desmond King. I liked his ball hawk ability and thought he would match up well with Adams. He has a solid rookie year as well just like Maye, but could have been had a couple Rounds later.

TBD

5. We draft Dylan Donahue. I didn't know much about Donahue. Small school guy that has a high motor. He's a tbd grade as well being he was injured all year.

Who I would have drafted: Jordan Evans. I liked his combo of size and speed at ILB. Evans didn't do much as a rookie but at least got some PT.

6. We draft Elijah McGuire. I didn't hate this pick at all. I just thought RB should have been addressed years ago and earlier in the draft. But I actually liked McGuires skill set.

Who I would have drafted: Bucky Hodges. I liked his combo of athleticism and size. Hodges did nothing as a rookie really.

6. We draft Jeremy Clark. I actually didn't mind this draft pick. Guy that had talent but couldn't stay healthy. I like taking risks like this in the 6th and 7th Rounds.

Who I would have drafted: Conor McDermott. He did nothing as a rookie.

6. We draft Derrick Jones. Didn't know much about Jones either. Didn't hate the pick just like Clark. Seemed like a risk that is worth taking late.

Who I would have drafted: Brad Kaaya. I figured he couldn't be any worse than Petty.

See my answers above, I don't think you are taking circumstance into consideration with your grading. Macc may very well have landed us a franchise QB because he selected Leonard Williams, without that move we don't have Seattles 2nd rounder because we would have needed to retain Sheldon.

Fact is Macc hasn't drafted well. You're defending him on why he made the picks. But the facts are the facts of them being bad picks and it shows on the field. Hitting on 2/3 1st Rounders and a few mid Round picks isn't successful. We literally have like 5 contributing players on the roster from him in 3 drafts. And the worst part is that it's only 1 guy on offense (Shell who isn't penciled in as a starter) bc Robby was an UDFA and looks to be going down a troubled path. I just gave you several players that would have helped this team, yet you excused every single one.

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Fact is Macc hasn't drafted well. You're defending him on why he made the picks. But the facts are the facts of them being bad picks and it shows on the field. Hitting on 2/3 1st Rounders and a few mid Round picks isn't successful. We literally have like 5 contributing players on the roster from him in 3 drafts. And the worst part is that it's only 1 guy on offense (Shell who isn't penciled in as a starter) bc Robby was an UDFA and looks to be going down a troubled path. I just gave you several players that would have helped this team, yet you excused every single one.

100%.  Look at the Saints last year.  Lattimore, Ramczyk, Williams, Kamara.  I would kill for the 4 of them.  

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

100%.  Look at the Saints last year.  Lattimore, Ramczyk, Williams, Kamara.  I would kill for the 4 of them.  

I’d kill for 1 of them. I’m not going to get started on my neglect of offense early in the draft tangent. Just know it agitated me big time that we seem to think addressing offense via FA and mid late round picks is acceptable in an offensive league really really really bothers me.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I’d kill for 1 of them. I’m not going to get started on my neglect of offense early in the draft tangent. Just know it agitated me big time that we seem to think addressing offense via FA and mid late round picks is acceptable in an offensive league really really really bothers me.

I agree.  Mac's whole philosophy of trying to build an o-line on late round picks and FA's is pure nonsense.  That's why I doubt we'd take Nelson at 6 if we get Cousins.  It'd be a safe pick and honestly, guarantee Mac a successful 1st rounder, but I can't see him doing it. I can see Barkley, Minkah, and Chubb being gone and he ends up reaching on a guy who turns out to be a bust.

Does anyone think its possible Saiqon Barkley falls to the jets at #6? 

he's going to be special. #1 player on my board. Obj level talent/comittment but without the crazy. Elliot went #4, but someone's  gotta fall to six

1. Barkley

2. Rosen

3. Nelson

4. Fitzpatrick

5. Mayfield

6. Darnell

id be happy with whoever fell. 

Archived