2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

I dont let politics get in the way of sports, otherwise I would hate Rosen, but as a pure QB prospect, I think he could really be a heck of a player. I dont get the hate for him at all, guy is mechanically above and beyond everyone in this draft by a long shot. Not to mention hes cerebral too. If he is there at 6 I would be ecstatic. 

I am starting to think that Barkley goes 1, Allen goes 2, and than all bets are off. That #3 overall may REALLY be spot that sparks trade interest. I think there is a real chance all 4 QBs go before we choose at 6 and thats very scary right now. I love how we are sitting here nitpicking which QB is getting linked to the jets yet there is a seriously possibility that we end up with none nor Saquon Barkley, while also missing out on Cousins. Maybe the Browns dont take a QB with either pick? Just seems completely ridiculous for them or the Giants not to take a QB.

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You’re leaving out the possibility that Cleveland doesn’t view any QB as more valuable than that of Barkley. That grabbing him means more to them than any of the QBs.

History shows that is extremely unlikely to be the case. John Dorsey comes from the tree of thought that RBs can be found deep within the draft and that he prefers to draft talented QBs with top-tier picks and giving them time to develop. Dorsey’s gotta feel good knowing that he’ll get a really good football player at #4, possibly even Barkley, but the notion that they’re going to pass at QB is unfounded. Maybe Barkley should go #1, but end of the day this is just the media fishing for stories... The writing is on the wall, a lot of people just want to ignore it. 

14 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

History shows that is extremely unlikely to be the case. John Dorsey comes from the tree of thought that RBs can be found deep within the draft and that he prefers to draft talented QBs with top-tier picks and giving them time to develop. Dorsey’s gotta feel good knowing that he’ll get a really good football player at #4, possibly even Barkley, but the notion that they’re going to pass at QB is unfounded. Maybe Barkley should go #1, but end of the day this is just the media fishing for stories... The writing is on the wall, a lot of people just want to ignore it. 

I fully expected them to go QB at 1. But I don’t feel any Qab has solidified the #1 ranking. Barkley on the other hand has to be right there with Nelson as the best player in the draft. They’ve heavily invested in the OLine in Cleveland, so getting a star RB would give them an identity. I’d say there’s no way they go RB if they didn’t have the 4th pick. But I do think there's a lot of validity to that they don’t prefer 1 Qab. Like you said they might like 2 (maybe even 3). But they love Barkley (let’s be real... what’s not to like about him). They might not want to risk not getting Barkley at 4, so they draft him at 1, bc they don’t maybe prefer Allen over Darnold or Rosen, etc. that they 100% pretty much know they will get 1 of the top 4 QBs still at 4. Just a guess. Regardless it really doesn’t make a difference to us. Bc we draft 6. So we know Cleveland will come out with a QB and another player more than likely before we draft. Trading down with them is never out if the question.

2 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

I won't read anyone's mock that doesn't include the Honey Badger and AR15 or Watkins. Peace God.

I have AR 15, but I signed Colvin over Honey Badger.  I'd be happy if we got him, but I think Colvin is closer to the guy we need as a pure slot CB.  Also Honey Badgers injury history is starting to mount up.  He is also more of a utility piece than a pure CB and we already have S on lock.  

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I fully expected them to go QB at 1. But I don’t feel any Qab has solidified the #1 ranking. Barkley on the other hand has to be right there with Nelson as the best player in the draft. They’ve heavily invested in the OLine in Cleveland, so getting a star RB would give them an identity. I’d say there’s no way they go RB if they didn’t have the 4th pick. But I do think there's a lot of validity to that they don’t prefer 1 Qab. Like you said they might like 2 (maybe even 3). But they love Barkley (let’s be real... what’s not to like about him). They might not want to risk not getting Barkley at 4, so they draft him at 1, bc they don’t maybe prefer Allen over Darnold or Rosen, etc. that they 100% pretty much know they will get 1 of the top 4 QBs still at 4. Just a guess. Regardless it really doesn’t make a difference to us. Bc we draft 6. So we know Cleveland will come out with a QB and another player more than likely before we draft. Trading down with them is never out if the question.

You need to take the media goggles off. NFL teams have very distinct tiers. Maybe each team has completely different rankings, but most have a very clear idea who they feel are “franchise” QBs. Maybe they have 2 they feel very strongly about (the way Eagles did with Goff/Wentz), but highly doubt they feel great about 3, which is why you can’t pass on a QB at 1 hoping to take one at 4. 

Hypothetical: say the Browns draft board is Barkley-Allen-Darnold as their top 3, and their next best rated QB is their 10th overall prospect, you really think it makes sense for them to pass on their preferred QB at 1, knowing they can lose them if they wait until 4? I don’t think so... reaching on your #2 player at 1 because they play QB is more justifiable then reaching on your 10th rated player at 4 because he plays QB... Maybe I’m overanaylzing it, but I just don’t see how the Browns can make that move. I’m sure the fans/media would love it, but Dorsey would look like an idiot in front of his staff... 

If the Browns are that much in love with Barkley they’ll trade up to #2. They have the ammo to make a deal Gettleman can’t refuse, and Gettleman can still get one of the elites in Nelson/Chubb at 4. 

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

You need to take the media goggles off. NFL teams have very distinct tiers. Maybe each team has completely different rankings, but most have a very clear idea who they feel are “franchise” QBs. Maybe they have 2 they feel very strongly about (the way Eagles did with Goff/Wentz), but highly doubt they feel great about 3, which is why you can’t pass on a QB at 1 hoping to take one at 4. 

Hypothetical: say the Browns draft board is Barkley-Allen-Darnold as their top 3, and their next best rated QB is their 10th overall prospect, you really think it makes sense for them to pass on their preferred QB at 1, knowing they can lose them if they wait until 4? I don’t think so... reaching on your #2 player at 1 because they play QB is more justifiable then reaching on your 10th rated player at 4 because he plays QB... Maybe I’m overanaylzing it, but I just don’t see how the Browns can make that move. I’m sure the fans/media would love it, but Dorsey would look like an idiot in front of his staff... 

If the Browns are that much in love with Barkley they’ll trade up to #2. They have the ammo to make a deal Gettleman can’t refuse, and Gettleman can still get one of the elites in Nelson/Chubb at 4. 

Ya but there big board could be Barkley, Allen, Darnold, Rosen. Therefor they know they’re getting a QB ranked in their top 4 overall. There really no justification to say that they don’t like 3 or 4 QBs. It’s really just a guess. Same way as I’m guessing.

47 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

I won't read anyone's mock that doesn't include the Honey Badger and AR15 or Watkins. Peace God.

I have Honey Badger, Gaines, Fuller as my top CB's.  I want 2 of those 3 guys really bad. 

After that I want 

AR15
Pugh or Norwell
Richburg or Jensen
Burton

We do anything close to that and add Mayfield at 6, I'll be ecstatic.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We have to trade for the Honey Badger though. He’s not a FA

Word is he might be cut,  They need to decide before March 16th when he is due a 5 mill roster bonus.  With teams knowing that the Cards are up against it everyone will either wait for him to be cut, or they will get him for barely anything in a trade.  Either way I'd look into it.

Archived