Thoughts on the Rams Resting Key Players?

RandyMossIsBoss

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Exactly. To say it doesn't matter who you face is laughable. You want to increase your chances of getting to the Super Bowl as much as possible. If you could avoid a tough match up for your particular team, you do that. Now, maybe the Rams don't view the Panthers/Saints any different than the Seahawks/Falcons so they don't care who they face. Personally, I certainly would.

Not really.  What is this tough match-up the Rams should try to avoid? 

Just now, showtime said:

The point was, they're going to have to beat really good teams to make it there.  This is the playoffs and all of these teams are quality teams.  Trying to find 'better' matchups when you plan to win it all is nonsense.

I agree that manipulating the seeding probably isn't a wise thing to do, as you don't have enough control over it.  

In this case, I think the Rams are strictly thinking about rest, and already have a home game locked up and aren't thinking beyond that.

4 minutes ago, showtime said:

I asked what was the tough match-up they're trying to avoid.  Answer the question.

I was more referring to your other posts. I'm not a Rams fan so I don't know who they want to play/don't want to play.

4 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I was more referring to your other posts. I'm not a Rams fan so I don't know who they want to play/don't want to play.

My overall point is, it doesn't matter if you go on the road to face the Eagles or Vikings in the first round or the conference championship game.  You more than likely will have to go through those teams either way.  Why avoid playing at New Orleans or at Carolina?  The road to the SB leads through all of those places, so you're going to have to play the games anyway.

Hey, remember that time Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota were lost with season ending injuries right before the playoffs?  Pepperidge farm remembers. 

The NFL is so concerned about the rating falling for week 17.  Maybe they should be more concerned about the rating falling in the playoffs instead.  The NFL has already lost Carson Wentz for the playoffs.  Imagine how many people will tune out if they lose a few more people.  Like Jared Goff, Andrew Whitworth, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger or others.  Don't you guys want to see the top tier matchup of an Austin Davis led Seattle Seahawks without Michael Bennett or Bobby Wagner vs a Sean Mannion led Los Angeles Rams without Aaron Donald or Robert Woods?  Or how about Chase Daniels vs. Sean Mannion?  (I'm not looking at the seeding before I make these hypotheticals).  Are a few thousand more people tuning in to a meaningless game worth that possibility? 

Just now, showtime said:

My overall point is, it doesn't matter if you go on the road to face the Eagles or Vikings in the first round or the conference championship game.  You more than likely will have to go through those teams either way.  Why avoid playing at New Orleans or at Carolina?  The road to the SB leads through all of those places, so you're going to have to play the games anyway.

Correct. Actually seems like the Rams/McVay are scared. They still have the #3 seed to play for, but are pulling starters instead. 

[In b4 the "you're just salty that Wentz is out" post]

To me, if a team still has something to play for, you play your best guys. 

Just now, Crickett said:

Hey, remember that time Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota were lost with season ending injuries right before the playoffs?  Pepperidge farm remembers. 

The NFL is so concerned about the rating falling for week 17.  Maybe they should be more concerned about the rating falling in the playoffs instead.  The NFL has already lost Carson Wentz for the playoffs.  Imagine how many people will tune out if they lose a few more people.  Like Jared Goff, Andrew Whitworth, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger or others.  Don't you guys want to see the top tier matchup of an Austin Davis led Seattle Seahawks without Michael Bennett or Bobby Wagner vs a Sean Mannion led Los Angeles Rams without Aaron Donald or Robert Woods?  Or how about Chase Daniels vs. Sean Mannion?  (I'm not looking at the seeding before I make these hypotheticals).  Are a few thousand more people tuning in to a meaningless game worth that possibility? 

Chase Daniel*

19 minutes ago, 808 said:

Correct. Actually seems like the Rams/McVay are scared. They still have the #3 seed to play for, but are pulling starters instead. 

scared? These grown men would make you wizz your self and make you change into huggies.. Why can't it be viewed as 

starters resting? Rams are resting their starters.. Is much more risky than starting them. Rust and momentum etc.. This is house money. 

15 minutes ago, 808 said:

No. It's because the Rams/McVay are not stupid.

The goal is to get to and win the Super Bowl and it's in the teams best interest to get as healthy as possible entering the playoffs.

They be foolish to risk very important players in a meaningless game when there really isn't much difference in the #3 and #4 seeds.

33 minutes ago, showtime said:

Why not? If they deem it strategic who cares? If they think one route is easier than the other and that's the mentality the team has, why wouldn't they do it? If they're wrong it doesn't matter.

Archived