Thoughts on the Rams Resting Key Players?

RandyMossIsBoss

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Atlanta has a balanced offense with really talented WRs. That's a tougher match-up for our defense than Carolina's offense. We defend athletic QBs well. Carolina's defense is talented, but it is a blitz-heavy unit. McVay is one of the best in the NFL (if not the best) at scheming to beat the blitz. The Saints are scary. I don't want to play them before the NFC Championship game.

Atlanta also averages 22 points per game. I'd put them at the same level as Seattle; a team that can beat you if everything clicks at the same time. But that doesn't happen very often.

I think you're sleeping on Carolina.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Atlanta also averages 22 points per game. I'd put them at the same level as Seattle; a team that can beat you if everything clicks at the same time. But that doesn't happen very often.

I think you're sleeping on Carolina.

The difference between Atlanta and Seattle is that Atlanta has a running game and Matt Ryan isn't an athletic QB. We defend Russell Wilson better than just about any team in the NFL.

I'm not discounting Carolina as a talented team. My point is that if you look at the match-ups, it's the right opponent for the Rams. The Panthers are better than the Falcons, but that doesn't mean that the Falcons are an easier match-up for the Rams. The Panthers can certainly beat us. The Falcons can certainly beat us. But based on what I know about the Rams' strengths and weaknesses, I feel that Carolina is a better opponent for us than Atlanta. However, Seattle is definitely the best opponent for us, and they could still end up in the playoffs, so we might be hurting ourselves when we rest our starters. That's the risk we take.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That doesn't much help you if your DL is getting blown off the ball. The fact is that the Eagles and Titans run defenses are superior statistically, so I'm not sure why Kuechly and Davis would make the difference against the Rams if they haven't made the difference in 15 other games.

With the way we change up our tempo, it limits the defense's ability to make real-time adjustments. Regardless, our offense didn't luck its way into being #1 in the NFL. Over his last eight starts, Jared Goff's numbers are:

163/255

63.9%

8.2 YPA

19 TDs

3 Ints

109.4 QB Rating

And that's despite the fact that five of those eight games came against New Orleans, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Tennessee, and Seattle. Then, you also have our MVP candidate HB . . .

Ya know, I didn't say the Rams weren't a great team. In fact, I think the Rams are a better team than the Panthers. So my issue as a fan of an inferior team is hoping we play the team that I think we matchup better with. I already know we don't matchup with the Saints. Cool your jets, dude.

And stop citing the Titans. They're not a good team. The only reason anything about them looks good is because they have a sub-400 SOS. You could clone me ten times and I would be able to stop the Colts or Texans or Bengals or Hawks or Browns from running the ball. And stop citing the Seahawks, for that matter. Is anyone on their defense even 100% healthy (or trying to win)? Like, would you actually be more worried facing the Titans defense than Panthers defense? Lol.

The Panthers have one of the nastiest front sevens in the league with Luke Kuechly, potentially the best defender in football, and a DLine that has helped generate 51 sacks. The team is also vastly more experienced in the playoffs than the Rams. I think LA's top playoff vet is Andrew Whitworth, who went one and done with the Bengals however many times. I think 16 of our 22 starters started in Super Bowl 50 and we still have plenty of guys even going back to the 2013 and 2014 squads.

So yeah, I would rather face you guys than a team with an HOF SB MVP QB with uber-HFA that has already beat us twice this year. Deal with it.

Living in LA and seeing posts on here, I can't help but notice how confident and borderline cocky Rams fans are getting of late. They better hope their squad handles that business come Wild Card weekend and beyond. 

36 minutes ago, 808 said:

Living in LA and seeing posts on here, I can't help but notice how confident and borderline cocky Rams fans are getting of late. They better hope their squad handles that business come Wild Card weekend and beyond. 

Pot calling the kettle black.

1 hour ago, Zithers2 said:

Ya know, I didn't say the Rams weren't a great team. In fact, I think the Rams are a better team than the Panthers. So my issue as a fan of an inferior team is hoping we play the team that I think we matchup better with. I already know we don't matchup with the Saints. Cool your jets, dude.

And stop citing the Titans. They're not a good team. The only reason anything about them looks good is because they have a sub-400 SOS. You could clone me ten times and I would be able to stop the Colts or Texans or Bengals or Hawks or Browns from running the ball. And stop citing the Seahawks, for that matter. Is anyone on their defense even 100% healthy (or trying to win)? Like, would you actually be more worried facing the Titans defense than Panthers defense? Lol.

The Panthers have one of the nastiest front sevens in the league with Luke Kuechly, potentially the best defender in football, and a DLine that has helped generate 51 sacks. The team is also vastly more experienced in the playoffs than the Rams. I think LA's top playoff vet is Andrew Whitworth, who went one and done with the Bengals however many times. I think 16 of our 22 starters started in Super Bowl 50 and we still have plenty of guys even going back to the 2013 and 2014 squads.

So yeah, I would rather face you guys than a team with an HOF SB MVP QB with uber-HFA that has already beat us twice this year. Deal with it.

They're currently fighting for a playoff spot and have a top 5 run defense. Their run defense is better ranked than yours. They're certainly worth mentioning when discussing top run defenses.

Stop citing the Seahawks? Lol okay, bro. The Seahawks just shut the Cowboys' offense down (with Zeke) a week after we hung 34 points on them at half. Despite the fact that we torched them for 42 points, they've still only given up ONE more point on the year than Carolina's defense.

I'm glad you'd rather face us. I'd rather face Carolina than the Falcons. Your nasty defense isn't even in the top 10 in PPG Allowed, so excuse me if I'm not shaking in my boots. I respect the Panthers, but the Rams match up to them better than the Falcons.

P.S. The best defender in football plays for the LA Rams.

3 minutes ago, 808 said:

You live in Philly and think the Eagles fans are being confident and borderline cocky? 

I don't need to live in Philly to have seen how cocky your fan-base has been all year until Wentz got hurt. I'm not seeing anything special with regard to cockiness out of the Rams' fan-base.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

They're currently fighting for a playoff spot and have a top 5 run defense. Their run defense is better ranked than yours. They're certainly worth mentioning when discussing top run defenses.

Stop citing the Seahawks? Lol okay, bro. The Seahawks just shut the Cowboys' offense down (with Zeke) a week after we hung 34 points on them at half. Despite the fact that we torched them for 42 points, they've still only given up ONE more point on the year than Carolina's defense.

I'm glad you'd rather face us. I'd rather face Carolina than the Falcons. Your nasty defense isn't even in the top 10 in PPG Allowed, so excuse me if I'm not shaking in my boots. I respect the Panthers, but the Rams match up to them better than the Falcons.

P.S. The best defender in football plays for the LA Rams.

I don't care that the Titans are fighting for a playoff spot. They are on a three game losing streak. They have a sub-400 SOS, by far the worst in the NFL. I mean, they held the Steelers under 70 rush yards and still allowed 40 points. Wow, what a ferocious run defense!!!! Meanwhile, the Panthers haven't given up a 100 yard rusher in something like 23 straight games. We've faced a ~550 SOS which is obnoxious, going up against New England, Philly, NO (twice), ATL (about to be twice), Minny, Buffalo, Detroit, the Rodgers Packers... All solid to great teams. Imagine what our record and rush defense numbers would be if it was cupcake like LA's and allowed us to go against the AFC South, Giants, 49ers, and Cardinals for nine games. LOL! And despite all of your schedule advantages, you're still only 11-4 like us.

Anyway, the Panthers have 200+ yards on the ground in three of their past seven games after failing to hit 100 in three contests earlier in the season. They've forced 11 turnovers in the past three games after only having 7 turnovers in the first eight games. The defense has 50 sacks despite spending LITERALLY half the season playing top ten QBs. The Panthers always come alive towards the end of the season (Rivera is something like 25-7 in December). You should be trembling in your boots.

1 hour ago, Zithers2 said:

I don't care that the Titans are fighting for a playoff spot. They are on a three game losing streak. They have a sub-400 SOS, by far the worst in the NFL. I mean, they held the Steelers under 70 rush yards and still allowed 40 points. Wow, what a ferocious run defense!!!! Meanwhile, the Panthers haven't given up a 100 yard rusher in something like 23 straight games. We've faced a ~550 SOS which is obnoxious, going up against New England, Philly, NO (twice), ATL (about to be twice), Minny, Buffalo, Detroit, the Rodgers Packers... All solid to great teams. Imagine what our record and rush defense numbers would be if it was cupcake like LA's and allowed us to go against the AFC South, Giants, 49ers, and Cardinals for nine games. LOL! And despite all of your schedule advantages, you're still only 11-4 like us.

Anyway, the Panthers have 200+ yards on the ground in three of their past seven games after failing to hit 100 in three contests earlier in the season. They've forced 11 turnovers in the past three games after only having 7 turnovers in the first eight games. The defense has 50 sacks despite spending LITERALLY half the season playing top ten QBs. The Panthers always come alive towards the end of the season (Rivera is something like 25-7 in December). You should be trembling in your boots.

The most recent time the Rams played Carolina was last season and the Panthers won by 3pts (13-10). The Rams sacked Newton 5 times in that game. The Rams outgained the Panthers in total yards 339-244. The Panthers won the turnover battle though 1-0. My point is, even when the Rams were terrible last season the Panthers barely won the game. I think Cam could get hot and take over in the playoffs but I could also seem Cam being under pressure all game and the Rams slowing him down just like last season. The difference is the Panthers won’t have to face a pathetic Rams offense like last season. It’s safe to say the Panthers will probably have to score at minimum 27pts to have a chance to win. I just don’t trust the Panthers offense consistently to do so because I don’t know which Cam will show up from game to game. 

31 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The most recent time the Rams played Carolina was last season and the Panthers won by 3pts (13-10). The Rams sacked Newton 5 times in that game. The Rams outgained the Panthers in total yards 339-244. The Panthers won the turnover battle though 1-0. My point is, even when the Rams were terrible last season the Panthers barely won the game. I think Cam could get hot and take over in the playoffs but I could also seem Cam being under pressure all game and the Rams slowing him down just like last season. The difference is the Panthers won’t have to face a pathetic Rams offense like last season. It’s safe to say the Panthers will probably have to score at minimum 27pts to have a chance to win. I just don’t trust the Panthers offense consistently to do so because I don’t know which Cam will show up from game to game. 

And this Panthers team is much better than it was last year. I mean, Aaron Donald was paired up with Geno Gradkowski instead of Ryan Kalil last season. I'm not sure what your point is. I've already acknowledged that the Rams are good. No one is arguing that. My point is that you would be a better matchup than New Orleans.

In any case, the Panthers have scored 27+ in four of their last six games (including against the #1 ranked defense Vikings, who you only scored a paltry 7 points against) so that doesn't seem like it'll be too much of a stretch.

Archived