FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree. I think the media made both of them seem

like they were better than they actually were. Claiborne stayed healthy which was great but didn’t grade out well. #2 CB money is what he should get. ASJ only had like 350yds and 3 TDs, very pedestrian. Definitely shouldn’t overpay him.

Media and scout circle have been a low opinion for ASJ.  They suggest another one year contract for him.

Anyway, Take Ben Ijalana for example.  Jets gave him 10.25m over 2 years in few days before they picked a starting caliber LT in Beachum for solid starting money. Now, if Jets decide to cut a tie with Ijalana then he only got 5m from Jets for one season. Was that considered an over-payment? I don't think so. There goes for ASJ and his contract as it won't avert Jets away from signing Jimmy Graham or an akin TE.

Edited by JetsandI

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Media and scout circle have been a low opinion for ASJ.  They suggest another one year contract for him.

Anyway, Take Ben Ijalana for example.  Jets gave him 10.25m over 2 years in few days before they picked a starting caliber LT in Beachum for solid starting money. Now, if Jets decide to cut a tie with Ijalana then he only got 5m from Jets for one season. Was that considered an over-payment? I don't think so. There goes for ASJ and his contract as it won't avert Jets away from signing Jimmy Graham or an akin TE.

ASJ, while decent this year, really doesn't warrant anymore than he was offered after the season. Alcoholic with a rap-sheet who was mediocre in his one year here. Either sign the contract or take care bud. 

I never understood the Ijalana and Winters contracts last year. Nobody was knocking the doors down to sign these guys and Mac just gave them money they'll never again make in their life time. 

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

We paid roughly 100k per snap for Ijalana who is a below-average backup tackle. You don't think that's overpaying?

45 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I never understood the Ijalana and Winters contracts last year. Nobody was knocking the doors down to sign these guys and Mac just gave them money they'll never again make in their life time. 

Maybe because Maccagnan had no intention to negotiate with OL during FA that much.  Jets ended up swooping down on Beechum in FA. That's it.  Paying Ijalana as emergency LT. Winters held the RG for awhile. for continuity.  The major backfire was Morton ran different blocking assignment from Gailey.  Maccagnan shouldn't sleep on that part.

24 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

We paid roughly 100k per snap for Ijalana who is a below-average backup tackle. You don't think that's overpaying?

100k per snap over 2 years.  If Jets cut him after one season then 50k per snap over 2 years. Cry me a river, it ain't bothering me that much.

Edited by JetsandI

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

100k per snap over 2 years.  If Jets cut him after one season then 50k per snap over 2 years. Cry me a river, it ain't bothering me that much.

No. He played 56 snaps last year. You're the first jets fan I met who didn't hate that contract. Paying 5 mil for a mediocre backup is asinine. There's a reason why ALL jets beat reporters have ripped is as Mac's worse move in three years as a GM

43 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

No. He played 56 snaps last year. You're the first jets fan I met who didn't hate that contract. Paying 5 mil for a mediocre backup is asinine. There's a reason why ALL jets beat reporters have ripped is as Mac's worse move in three years as a GM

Ya it was and is hard to like that deal. Only defense for Macc was that at the time he was signed to "in essence" be our starting LT. When we signed Beachum, that's when he became a backup. Regardless Ijalana never deserved that contract.

12 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Signing him was a security blanket; it was always going to be a one year deal unless he was able to beat out Beachum or Shell. Deal made plenty of sense to me 

16 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Maybe because Maccagnan had no intention to negotiate with OL during FA that much.  Jets ended up swooping down on Beechum in FA. That's it.  Paying Ijalana as emergency LT. Winters held the RG for awhile. for continuity.  The major backfire was Morton ran different blocking assignment from Gailey.  Maccagnan shouldn't sleep on that part.

Neither were good no matter what blocking scheme we ran. Very poor scouting and contracts on Mac. No participation trophies for best efforts...Winters especially, he was terrible even with Mangold at center. Luckily that contract doesnt kill us with the cap space we have and he likely will be gone after this year, but Mac has to figure it out when it comes to fair market value and what a player is worth. 

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Can you elaborate on why?

I already have numerous times. 

- Will command 3 years of guaranteed money.

- Will be highest paid QB in NFL history, despite being a borderline top 12 guy. 

- Team hasn't drafted well enough to have 30 million committed to a QB

- We become Detroit AFC East. 

I really don't want to argue about this because neither of us are going to budge. I much rather draft a QB at 6.

1 minute ago, K-Ro 25 said:

- Will be highest paid QB in NFL history, despite being a borderline top 12 guy. 

- We become Detroit AFC East. 

I really don't want to argue about this because neither of us are going to budge. I much rather draft a QB at 6.

I’ll just leave it as that’s an interesting perspective to solve our QB issues.

6 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

- We become Detroit AFC East

Lot of hot taeks here my friend. 

1) Kirk Cousins top 10 in every major category the past 3 years...hes a top 10 QB, not borderline 12.

2) Team also hasn't drafted the QB position well, ever. We have 100 mil in cap space and a legit QB in his prime available. Way more of a sure thing than any QB in the draft.

3) The last is just a wild opinion, based off of what exactly, i dont know, Detroit has struggled to win regardless of stafford cap hit and our scenario right now is unique, something they never had. We have the ability to not only sign him but completely fix the holes on offense as well. 

Now in terms of not wanting to commit the money to him, I respect that, but it is way less of a gamble than anyone we draft. Despite what the experts say, watching film says...NOBODY is a sure thing. Cousins has a proven track record of very good QB play and is 29 years old. He will likely be the best QB that the franchise has ever had. 

8 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Lot of hot taeks here my friend. 

1) Kirk Cousins top 10 in every major category the past 3 years...hes a top 10 QB, not borderline 12.

2) Team also hasn't drafted the QB position well, ever. We have 100 mil in cap space and a legit QB in his prime available. Way more of a sure thing than any QB in the draft.

3) The last is just a wild opinion, based off of what exactly, i dont know, Detroit has struggled to win regardless of stafford cap hit and our scenario right now is unique, something they never had. We have the ability to not only sign him but completely fix the holes on offense as well. 

Now in terms of not wanting to commit the money to him, I respect that, but it is way less of a gamble than anyone we draft. Despite what the experts say, watching film says...NOBODY is a sure thing. Cousins has a proven track record of very good QB play and is 29 years old. He will likely be the best QB that the franchise has ever had. 

He’s actual been top 6 in most major categories.