FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

2 minutes ago, xenajets said:

That’s for sure. Johnson proved to be not good enough last year. Long will be an upgrade for sure but at the price we have him he needs to be good/great. 

I’d love to get Rosen/Baker/Darnold (in that order) at #6. 

A perfect combo of Smith/Hernandez/Price/Wynn (whoever is there at #37 and then one of the top tight ends at #49. Gesicki would be perfect. 

Makes me wonder if we could somehow trade for a pass rusher to fill that need as it just seems like every year we never dedicate enough resources to that critical part of any defense. 

I love your picks, especially Gesicki, lets hope Mac feels the same way

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xenajets said:

He played every game and a huge percentage of snaps last year after his injury so I would imagine this year he will be flying. I obviously don’t want to pay a nickel back $11m but at $8-9m he would be fine. So for the sake of $2-3m a year I would just go for it. We payed Ben Ijalana like $4m last year to eat as much as possible. I’d rather use that money on a difference maker like Tyrann. 

Also big thing to remember...we cut Skrine and that saves us $6m so for $4-6m a year extra we get the Honey Badger!!! It’s a no brainier in our predicament.  

We don’t know if he will though, there’s no guarantee. Yes, we cut skrine and it saves us 6 mil this year, but that’s it. I’m not saying don’t get him, would gladly take him. I’m just saying that he’s not a 12+ million dollar guy. While we can spend and overpay, we need to be smart too. Granted, I don’t see Mac paying him that much anyway. I’ll take Cockrell at 7 mil or so before I’d take Mathieu at 12+  

Edited by barnaby8787

9 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

We don’t know if he will though, there’s no guarantee. Yes, we cut skrine and it saves us 6 mil this year, but that’s it. I’m not saying don’t get him, would gladly take him. I’m just saying that he’s not a 12+ million dollar guy. While we can spend and overpay, we need to be smart too. Granted, I don’t see Mac paying him that much anyway. I’ll take Cockrell at 7 mil or so before I’d take Mathieu at 12+  

The thing is though there’s no guarantees whatsoever. Your right that we have to be controlled and sensible but a few million extra a year on a special talent like Tyrann is a gamble worth taking. We are paying McCown $10m for gods sake....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Reports are that we are in on him. Not sure how reliable the source is though. Giants, Jets, packers and Texans.  

Makes too much sense when you factor in he played for Bowles, we need a nickel upgrade and he’s ‘part of the family’. 

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Reports are that we are in on him. Not sure how reliable the source is though. Giants, Jets, packers and Texans.  

I like our chances. 

One thing to note is that Badger was significantly better in the second half of the season. It was obvious that he was starting to regain his old form. It takes a full two years to really recover from an ACL injury and he’s only 25. I think this whole “he’s not the same player” thing is being exaggerated. Another thing to note is that Badger spent the majority of his time as a slot defender and is where he is at his best, which is why I don’t get this concern about fit. 

10 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

I like our chances. 

One thing to note is that Badger was significantly better in the second half of the season. It was obvious that he was starting to regain his old form. It takes a full two years to really recover from an ACL injury and he’s only 25. I think this whole “he’s not the same player” thing is being exaggerated. Another thing to note is that Badger spent the majority of his time as a slot defender and is where he is at his best, which is why I don’t get this concern about fit. 

The kid was all pro his 1st seasons so his expectations were through the roof and there’s really no where to go but down from that.

I don’t question his skill at all. Make him a Jet Macc.

10 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I have a hard time seeing the Jets go for Mathieu, especially after re-signing Claiborne. 

More likely we go after Ryan Grant now that he’s back on the market. 

I don't want Grant personally.  Don't need another slot guy.  Give me a big bodied receiver.

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The kid was all pro his 1st seasons so his expectations were through the roof and there’s really no where to go but down from that.

I don’t question his skill at all. Make him a Jet Macc.

He is a small DB that plays like a big DB that never works out for a long career.  Could very well be a Bob Sanders.  I went to some Cards sites and even they were saying that he just hasn't been the same and hasn't been flying around as much.  They say it looks like he was playing to not get hurt.  It is a catch 22, because he isn't athletic enough or technical enough to play safe and still be top notch, but his body probably won't last long if he plays with his hair on fire like he used to.

I'd rather sign Cockrell for less.  We need Adams to become the guy that HB was.  What we need at the slot CB position is an actual slot CB, which Cockrell is and HB isn't.  I wouldn't be upset if we signed HB as he is an exciting guy, but I just think it would be a smarter more responsible more to sign someone like Cockrell.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

I don't want Grant personally.  Don't need another slot guy.  Give me a big bodied receiver.

I't pretty much Crabtree, Matthew or give Pryor a really small prove it deal after he flopped in Washington last year.  My choice is Jordan Matthews.  Liked him coming out, still super young.  Has had some nice season and is a good red zone threat.

4 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

He is a small DB that plays like a big DB that never works out for a long career.  Could very well be a Bob Sanders.  I went to some Cards sites and even they were saying that he just hasn't been the same and hasn't been flying around as much.  They say it looks like he was playing to not get hurt.  It is a catch 22, because he isn't athletic enough or technical enough to play safe and still be top notch, but his body probably won't last long if he plays with his hair on fire like he used to.

I'd rather sign Cockrell for less.  We need Adams to become the guy that HB was.  What we need at the slot CB position is an actual slot CB, which Cockrell is and HB isn't.  I wouldn't be upset if we signed HB as he is an exciting guy, but I just think it would be a smarter more responsible more to sign someone like Cockrell.

Not athletic enough?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I't pretty much Crabtree, Matthew or give Pryor a really small prove it deal after he flopped in Washington last year.  My choice is Jordan Matthews.  Liked him coming out, still super young.  Has had some nice season and is a good red zone threat.

Yeah, I'd love to take a flier on Pryor

19 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I have a hard time seeing the Jets go for Mathieu, especially after re-signing Claiborne. 

Why? I thought the same early on but it’s become obvious that we are interested. I think the Jets stand as good of a chance as anyone.

Edited by BlaZeN37

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not athletic enough?

Guy ran a 4.5 with 4 reps on the bench at the combine, at 5'9 186lbs.  He was never a freak athlete, he was a guy with fantastic instincts who had a knack for making things happen.  If we put him purely in the slot you take away most of his gifts which is improv and knowing where to be.  Also most Cards fans say he has visibly slowed since then due to injury.  

Edited by rampantjet