Giants to pick #2 in 2018 NFL Draft

Acgott

4 hours ago, Bballbkd said:

Then we have a team that's 8-8. Go into next year's draft and trade up to get a quarterback you love, but in my opinion, having the number 2 overall pick, you go with the sure fire pick.  You want the next Adrian Peterson or do you want one of the QBs with questions across the board? 

Taking the wrong QB can set you back 5 years. That's straight out of gettlemans mouth.

Never RB. QB or pass rush 

12 hours ago, Bballbkd said:

Then we have a team that's 8-8. Go into next year's draft and trade up to get a quarterback you love, but in my opinion, having the number 2 overall pick, you go with the sure fire pick.  You want the next Adrian Peterson or do you want one of the QBs with questions across the board? 

Taking the wrong QB can set you back 5 years. That's straight out of gettlemans mouth.

I'm sold on Mayfield. Not so much on the others. We need a QB discussion thread. Id rank them

1. Mayfield

2. Rosen

3. Jackson

4. Darnold

25. Allen

I would take Laulette before Allen. 

On 1/28/2018 at 4:16 PM, Kip Smithers said:

Also, this is not addressed to you, but why on Earth would we let Pugh go? He’s by far our best lineman and no draft pick will be an upgrade on him? His versatility is huge for us. 

Because he is going to command a lot of money, and for a bit more than we would spend on him, we could get a 26 year old all-pro guard who hasnt missed a game in 2 years. If we can't land Norwell, we should try to retain Pugh, but if I'm Gettleman, I'm making a big push to steal Norwell away from Carolina. 

23 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

I know we never trade back but it is possible this year. It all depends on their evaluation of the QBs in this draft. A QB is getting taken at #2 but if we don't fall in love with any of the guys, we will get a king's ransom for the pick. 

All prior draft tendencies should be thrown out the window. We've got a brand new GM and Marc Ross is gone. We could do anything in this draft. Trade down, trade up, trade for players, etc. I wouldn't put anything past Gettleman. 

On 1/28/2018 at 11:06 PM, w4rrior723 said:

McKinnon is a Shane Vereen clone. He's a good 3rd down RB. Not a game changer.

Vastly different player. Vereen was always about dancing around everybody (so have a lot of Giants' RBs this past decade, hence why I like Darkwa so much), McKinnon is a burner, not a dancer. He runs past people, and he has a beefier lower body than Vereen. And unlike in NE with Vereen, McKinnon is forced into his role by the people he shares the ball with. I do agree McKinnon can be a good pickup, with a more of a committee role with Darkwa. That would be a decent tandem, and if not Darkwa someone in the draft would suffice. 

As much as I like Barkley, I just think we need to invest more in the O-Line. (AKA Trade down).

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Because he is going to command a lot of money, and for a bit more than we would spend on him, we could get a 26 year old all-pro guard who hasnt missed a game in 2 years. If we can't land Norwell, we should try to retain Pugh, but if I'm Gettleman, I'm making a big push to steal Norwell away from Carolina. 

Norwell is gonna cost some as well and he doesn’t offer near Pugh’s versatility. I’m not letting somebody like Pugh out of our building. I actually don’t think Pugh is gonna command as much money as you think. 

17 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Why are we under the impression that a QB taken at 2 wouldn't play this year? Eli has absolutely regressed. With some help on the OL, a new offensive scheme, and Shurmur, he should improve over last year. But how much is that? What happens if the team is great but QB play is subpar and holds us back? We need to invest at QB and get a legitimate potential starter. Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, or Jackson. 

Because the QBs aren’t ready and I don’t care how much you think he has regressed (which is overstated) no rookie QB is gonna be better than him. Granted it’s not about one year. There is no way you can watch last year and say we were being held back by QB play. If you want to invest in a QB, then it doesn’t have to be at two.

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Norwell is gonna cost some as well and he doesn’t offer near Pugh’s versatility. I’m not letting somebody like Pugh out of our building. I actually don’t think Pugh is gonna command as much money as you think. 

Name me one other OL that is entering free agency besides Pugh or Norwell without looking. 

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Because the QBs aren’t ready and I don’t care how much you think he has regressed (which is overstated) no rookie QB is gonna be better than him. Granted it’s not about one year. There is no way you can watch last year and say we were being held back by QB play. If you want to invest in a QB, then it doesn’t have to be at two.

We weren't held back by QB play, but he certainly didn't elevate his team like an elite QB does. Russel Wilson was working with a worse offensive line and worse running backs and he carried the team. Eli isn't at a stage where he can do that anymore. 

34 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

We weren't held back by QB play, but he certainly didn't elevate his team like an elite QB does. Russel Wilson was working with a worse offensive line and worse running backs and he carried the team. Eli isn't at a stage where he can do that anymore. 

Russell Wilson is a very unique player, not a fair comparison. Elevate what exactly? A shoddy o-line with PS receivers? People need to realise that QBs don’t make players better around them. Eli isn’t an elite QB and never has been. Still think Eli is still at least a solid QB.

13 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

Man it'd be amazing if the Browns signed Cousins...

Eh. I don't think it makes much of a difference. We either have our pick of QBs or or pick of QBs minus 1. 

If Cousins goes to Denver though, there's a better possibility Mayfield falls to round 2...

On 1/31/2018 at 2:59 PM, w4rrior723 said:

Who's #1 on your draft board?

Doesn't really matter.  Sounds like they want to keep Eli at QB.  If the Browns get set at QB then we're free to trade the #2 pick to whomever pays the highest price. :)  AKA picks.  Lots of picks.  We need them.  Sure, should probably nab a QB.  But it gives us tons of options.

Archived