I see the Road to the Super Bowl going through Minnesota. The NFC championship will be in Minnesota. But I see the Saints going to Super Bowl 52

chargerbuckeye

8 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Well the numbers show that we are terrible on third down, and primarily because of an inconsistent passing attack, and receivers that can't get open.  We have no tight ends, Snead has all but vanished, and is more useful blocking.  The OL really is inconsistent run blocking, which makes it even worse.  And Brees to Ginn deep ball is really hit or miss, and that's what Ginn is best at.  This offense has always utilized TE play, and we have no TE.  We need Coleman to step up, but he has shown that isn't dependable at all.

When everyone plays well, it's a great offense, but everyone doesn't always play well, and have been really inconsistent lately.  And it's the same story defensively, with all the injuries, there's no telling which version of the team will show up in the playoffs, and it's improbable both units get it together for 4 games in a row. 

As it stands, there's no legitimate reason to think the Saints should be the NFC favorites, and it is pretty clearly IMO Rams and Vikings.  Of course, I hope this isn't the case, and if they do get it together, they'll be tough for anyone to beat.

You are somewhat correct the numbers do show that we are middle of the pack in 3rd down percentage. We are 3 percent worse than the Rams in that stat category. However, we have had the fewest 3rd down attempts in the entire league. That combined with one of the best scoring offenses (And watching every game) tells me that we simply have been getting it done on 1st and 2nd down. We led the league in 20+ yard passing plays by a substantial margin. We are top 5 in 1st down percentage passing. We allowed the 2nd fewest sacks in the NFL. Brees has a league leading 72% completion percentage, is 4th overall in passing yards, he led the league with an 8.1 average, and had the 2nd highest QB Rating with a 103.9. Our WR's get open just fine. We are top 5 in rushing yards as a team. We lead the NFL in yards per carry. We lead the NFL in rushing touchdowns. We are 4th in 1st down percentage rushing. We are 2nd in 20+ yard plays rushing, and 1st in 40+ yard plays rushing. All of this tells me that we have both an explosive passing offense and rushing offense, and that we are every bit as good as our numbers indicate.

We do have no TE's that part is correct. Snead has vanished, Kamara has emerged as our 3rd target in the passing game. Ginn has made several plays in the intermediate and short game this year. While the deep ball has historically been Ginn's go to play, he as Sean Payton has stated this year "is like a fine wine, he gets better with age". The offense has always utilized a TE in the past. We aren't the Saints offense of the past. We are a much more balanced team than we've been for years. Hence guys like Kamara/Ingram doing historic things this season.

I have no worries about the offense going into the playoffs. We are pretty healthy on offense, and have our key guys clicking just fine. On defense, we are fine when we have our top guys out there. We are obviously thin right now, and can't take really any more hits in the injury department there, or we are going to be involved in some high scoring shootouts.

As it stands I have the Saints and Vikings as NFC favorites. 

I think the Vikings lose to the Pats in the SB.

I don't see the  Saints beating the Vikings in the NFCCG, assuming the Saints even make it that far. I know I personally think we're set up nicely for a one and done. Obviously fingers crossed that I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

You are somewhat correct the numbers do show that we are middle of the pack in 3rd down percentage. We are 3 percent worse than the Rams in that stat category. However, we have had the fewest 3rd down attempts in the entire league. That combined with one of the best scoring offenses (And watching every game) tells me that we simply have been getting it done on 1st and 2nd down. We led the league in 20+ yard passing plays by a substantial margin. We are top 5 in 1st down percentage passing. We allowed the 2nd fewest sacks in the NFL. Brees has a league leading 72% completion percentage, is 4th overall in passing yards, he led the league with an 8.1 average, and had the 2nd highest QB Rating with a 103.9. Our WR's get open just fine. We are top 5 in rushing yards as a team. We lead the NFL in yards per carry. We lead the NFL in rushing touchdowns. We are 4th in 1st down percentage rushing. We are 2nd in 20+ yard plays rushing, and 1st in 40+ yard plays rushing. All of this tells me that we have both an explosive passing offense and rushing offense, and that we are every bit as good as our numbers indicate.

We do have no TE's that part is correct. Snead has vanished, Kamara has emerged as our 3rd target in the passing game. Ginn has made several plays in the intermediate and short game this year. While the deep ball has historically been Ginn's go to play, he as Sean Payton has stated this year "is like a fine wine, he gets better with age". The offense has always utilized a TE in the past. We aren't the Saints offense of the past. We are a much more balanced team than we've been for years. Hence guys like Kamara/Ingram doing historic things this season.

I have no worries about the offense going into the playoffs. We are pretty healthy on offense, and have our key guys clicking just fine. On defense, we are fine when we have our top guys out there. We are obviously thin right now, and can't take really any more hits in the injury department there, or we are going to be involved in some high scoring shootouts.

As it stands I have the Saints and Vikings as NFC favorites. 

I know all the numbers, but Saints have been playing some sloppy offense over the past month, and that's just a fact.  Nothing about scoring 17 points on a 24 ranked Bucs defense screams NFC favorite.  Especially with Jameis throwing 3 picks.  Nothing about scoring 17 points on the Falcons with Matt Ryan throwing 3 picks screams NFC favorites. Even the Jets game was the sloppiest 31 points you're gonna find, and we're lucky Bryce Petty was playing.  

There's no real reason to think we should be NFC favorites over the Rams or the Vikings.  We're capable of beating those teams, but it's gonna take some better play than we've shown lately, and we have to travel to both LA and Minnesota.

4 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I know all the numbers, but Saints have been playing some sloppy offense over the past month, and that's just a fact.  Nothing about scoring 17 points on a 24 ranked Bucs defense screams NFC favorite.  Especially with Jameis throwing 3 picks.  Nothing about scoring 17 points on the Falcons with Matt Ryan throwing 3 picks screams NFC favorites. Even the Jets game was the sloppiest 31 points you're gonna find, and we're lucky Bryce Petty was playing.  

There's no real reason to think we should be NFC favorites over the Rams or the Vikings.  We're capable of beating those teams, but it's gonna take some better play than we've shown lately, and we have to travel to both LA and Minnesota.

Yeah and the Rams lost to the 49ers. Eagles lost as well. The Panthers just lost as well. If you pick far enough on any playoff team you can find negatives. Regardless none of that really changes my outlook on what the Saints have shown throughout the season. Every team has some inconsistencies. I like our roster of players being as good as any going into the playoffs. If this is some form of antijynx than by all means continue lol

46 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah and the Rams lost to the 49ers. Eagles lost as well. The Panthers just lost as well. If you pick far enough on any playoff team you can find negatives. Regardless none of that really changes my outlook on what the Saints have shown throughout the season. Every team has some inconsistencies. I like our roster of players being as good as any going into the playoffs. If this is some form of antijynx than by all means continue lol

It's not an anti jinx, I just don't see the Saints as the favorites to come out of the NFC.  Doesn't mean they can't or they won't.  

5 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It's not an anti jinx, I just don't see the Saints as the favorites to come out of the NFC.  Doesn't mean they can't or they won't.  

Fair enough. Regarding some of those games the past month in the previous post. I'd also mention that the Falcons who we played twice have been a very tough team the 2nd half of the year as it seems like they are starting to closer resemble the powerhouse they were last year. I'd rather play the Panther than the Falcons at this point. 

Jets- Several playoff teams have struggled against the Jets this season or at least have been in close games with them. We beat them by 12 points. The Panthers beat them by 8 points. The Patriots the first game won by 7 points. The Jaguars won by 3 points. The Bills lost to the Jets once. The Chiefs beat them by 7 points. The Falcons beat them by 5 points. They have been a tougher team than their record reflects.

Falcons- They went 6-2 the 2nd half of the season with losses to the Vikings and Saints. They are a very tough opponent, but we showed we can certainly beat them and play a close game with them.

Buccaneers- This game didn't really do much for me as far as my thoughts going into the Postseason. Same with several other teams this week that lost games. We had a playoff spot locked up, and were out of the running for a bye week. I think the main thing with that game was simply getting out with no injuries. We rested some guys including our LT. It was also our only loss to a none playoff team. 

5 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Fair enough. Regarding some of those games the past month in the previous post. I'd also mention that the Falcons who we played twice have been a very tough team the 2nd half of the year as it seems like they are starting to closer resemble the powerhouse they were last year. I'd rather play the Panther than the Falcons at this point. 

Jets- Several playoff teams have struggled against the Jets this season or at least have been in close games with them. We beat them by 12 points. The Panthers beat them by 8 points. The Patriots the first game won by 7 points. The Jaguars won by 3 points. The Bills lost to the Jets once. The Chiefs beat them by 7 points. The Falcons beat them by 5 points. They have been a tougher team than their record reflects.

Falcons- They went 6-2 the 2nd half of the season with losses to the Vikings and Saints. They are a very tough opponent, but we showed we can certainly beat them and play a close game with them.

Buccaneers- This game didn't really do much for me as far as my thoughts going into the Postseason. Same with several other teams this week that lost games. We had a playoff spot locked up, and were out of the running for a bye week. I think the main thing with that game was simply getting out with no injuries. We rested some guys including our LT. It was also our only loss to a none playoff team. 

The Jets have played teams tough but this is Bryce Petty Jets, not Josh McCown Jets.  Since the Saints game, Jets have averaged 6.5 points.

The Falcons have been better, but still, it's 17 points and Matt Ryan threw 3 picks.  Not exactly something to brag about.

Look, we were trying to win the Bucs game bottom line.  We didn't tank it, and the Rams tanked heir game.  There's a difference there.

38 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Exactly I thought it was pretty funny they lost in a meaningless week 17 game as well

The Rams' big flaw is our terrible run defense. Claiming that the 49ers loss shows weakness just makes you look ignorant. The Rams rested their starters. It's not even remotely similar to the Saints losing a game against TB that they tried to win (not that I think that's a big deal).

14 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

The Jets have played teams tough but this is Bryce Petty Jets, not Josh McCown Jets.  Since the Saints game, Jets have averaged 6.5 points.

The Falcons have been better, but still, it's 17 points and Matt Ryan threw 3 picks.  Not exactly something to brag about.

Look, we were trying to win the Bucs game bottom line.  We didn't tank it, and the Rams tanked heir game.  There's a difference there.

That certainly is a fair point, but we put up 31 points and had it not been for Brandon Coleman fumbling twice in Jets territory we potentially win by 3 scores.

We also just scored 23 points against the Falcons and beat them. The Falcons just held the Panthers to 10 points this week. They also held the Vikings to 14 points. I'm pretty happy with how we've played the Falcons especially with the obscure calls on the road in the first game (yes I know it went in our favor the 2nd game). 

If we were in a "must win", Terron Armstead plays through a thigh injury. We escaped that game without injury in a game that didn't change all that much for us regarding playoffs.

Archived