Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

4 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

OK, we'll try this again.

Incognito stated that the Seahawks under John Schneider have missed the playoffs as many times as the Packers have under Ted Thompson.

That was, and remains, a demonstrably FALSE statement. 

As I correctly pointed out, the Packers missed the playoffs 4 times in 13 years under Ted. The Seahawks have missed the playoffs 2 times in 8 years under Schneider. 

Now, you chime in with another FALSEHOOD regarding Ted's playoff record as GM of the Packers.

The Packers under GM Ted Thompson did not "miss[] the playoffs 3 times over the course of 18 seasons" as you represent. 

Instead, after Ted took over in 2005 the Pack missed the playoffs in 2005, 2006, 2008, and 2017.

I know it really, really pains the Ted fans that the Packers have "reassigned" their man, but that is no excuse for constantly MISREPRESENTING the facts to inflate his playoff record.  

What's more likely, that incog intentionally posted a factually false understanding or you couldn't make a reasonable assumption to what incog meant?  This is why your arguments don't make sense.  You're not evenly applying your logic across the field.  John Schneider has been the GM of the Seahawks since 2010.  The Seahawks have missed the playoffs TWICE since Schneider has been the GM of the Seahawks.  Over at that same time period, the Packers have missed the playoffs ONCE.  That's a pretty significant difference despite the fact that you claim TT to be a mediocre GM and that Schneider is a great GM.  Since TT has been the GM, the Packers have missed the playoffs FOUR times over the course of 13 seasons.  That means the Packers have missed the playoffs 31% of the time that TT has been the GM.  The Seahawks have missed the playoffs in 25% of the time that Schneider has been the GM.  The fact is the Packers missed the playoffs in three of the first four years under TT, and have been in the playoffs every year except this year.

And I'm willing to admit my 3 times in 18 seasons was inaccurate.  You'll have to excuse me if I miscount after working.

4 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I am not advocating for Schneider to be named the new GM of the Packers.

I do not contend that Schneider has drafted well since 2013.

I did point out that one of Ted's most zealous fans misrepresented the record to make it appear Schneider's Seahawks had missed the playoffs just as many times in his 8 years as GM as Ted's Packers did in his 13 years as GM of the Pack.

As for Ted's drafting since 2011, I fully concur with your post from 1/02/18 (not even a week ago) that: "Most everyone recognized that TT's draft success had slipped in recent years." 

Really, outside of Frank Clark and maybe Justin Britt, which player did the Seahawks draft that would change the Packers fortune?  Maybe you could make an argument for Shaq Griffin or Tyler Lockett, but the Seahawks drafts have been miserable.

9 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I also don’t believe any of the rumors regarding people being bent about Russ Ball. 

Oh I can believe it, Ball is a bean counter (a brilliant one at that) but not a scout. If you are a coach or a QB that feels the roster hasn't been acquiring enough talent either through the draft or through FA then I think some concern about Ball becoming GM is valid.

I know the counter argument would be that it doesn't matter if Ball is largely about finances and the salary cap and that he can surround himself with scouting talent. Well I think chances are fairly good that the front office could lose the likes of Wolf and Gutekunst if Ball gets it, those that are more involved in scouting and people Ball would lean on.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

He is a super bowl winning GM? And is a yard away from being a 2x winning SB GM?

He has experience as a GM and has been successful at it... where as the 3 in house candidates have not.

Also the guy has stated that GM of the Packers is his dream job. What’s not to like?

Has anyone seen his drafts since 2013?

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Has anyone seen his drafts since 2013?

Has anyone seen our drafts from 2010-2013. Like I stated before everyone has missed and bad years... go look at some of New England’s drafts, if you want ugly.

Also they don’t view drafts like we do. They trade picks for other players, Graham/Richardson. Colors drafts differently.

Are SF fans going to be upset they don’t have a second rounder this year? Or if their whole draft class is garbage? Probably not given they have jimmy g.

Just now, jontat83 said:

Caroll has a huge say on the draft and its obvious they lean on Defense more than anything in Caroll's mind.

Maybe so, but that doesn't change the fact that his draft record since 2013 is really bad.  I mean, how many starters or significant players did Schneider draft that would play impact roles for the Packers?  In 2013, Luke Willson is the only guy who carved out a career and he's probably not much more than what Richard Rodgers is for the Packers.  A decent #2 TE.  In 2014, the Seahawks drafted Paul Richardson 45th overall.  8 picks later, the Packers selected Davante Adams.  The Packers clearly made the right choice here.  The Seahawks also drafted Justin Britt in the 2nd round.  After struggling at tackle, they moved him to C where he's played reasonably well.  The Packers drafted Corey Linsley in the 5th round of that same draft, so that's better value for the Packers.  In 2015, the Seahawks drafted Frank Clark who'd instantly be our #3 EDGE.  That was a good gamble by the Seahawks.  They also drafted Tyler Lockett in the 3rd round, but if I'm drafting a WR that high I'm hoping for more than a great ST player.  Shaq Griffin this year played a prominent role for the Seahawks.

All in all, the only players I think the Packers "missed" out on that the Seahawks drafted is Frank Clark and Shaq Griffin.  Not that great.

6 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Has anyone seen our drafts from 2010-2013. Like I stated before everyone has missed and bad years... go look at some of New England’s drafts, if you want ugly.

Also they don’t view drafts like we do. They trade picks for other players, Graham/Richardson. Colors drafts differently.

Are SF fans going to be upset they don’t have a second rounder this year? Or if their whole draft class is garbage? Probably not given they have jimmy g.

That's my point.  Everyone is going crazy for Schneider's drafts from 2010-2012, and then ignoring the drafts after.  It's the same people who are harking on TT's drafts since 2011, and then ignoring the previous work.  You have to be consistent with your stance.

EDIT: The Seahawks traded a 2nd this year for Sheldon Richardon, and a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year for Duane Brown.  And they missed the playoffs.  What kind of reaction do you think that Packers fans would have if they gave up three premium picks and missed the playoffs?  We'd have demanded Ted's head on a silver platter.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe so, but that doesn't change the fact that his draft record since 2013 is really bad.  I mean, how many starters or significant players did Schneider draft that would play impact roles for the Packers?  In 2013, Luke Willson is the only guy who carved out a career and he's probably not much more than what Richard Rodgers is for the Packers.  A decent #2 TE.  In 2014, the Seahawks drafted Paul Richardson 45th overall.  8 picks later, the Packers selected Davante Adams.  The Packers clearly made the right choice here.  The Seahawks also drafted Justin Britt in the 2nd round.  After struggling at tackle, they moved him to C where he's played reasonably well.  The Packers drafted Corey Linsley in the 5th round of that same draft, so that's better value for the Packers.  In 2015, the Seahawks drafted Frank Clark who'd instantly be our #3 EDGE.  That was a good gamble by the Seahawks.  They also drafted Tyler Lockett in the 3rd round, but if I'm drafting a WR that high I'm hoping for more than a great ST player.  Shaq Griffin this year played a prominent role for the Seahawks.

All in all, the only players I think the Packers "missed" out on that the Seahawks drafted is Frank Clark and Shaq Griffin.  Not that great.

Frank Clark should never be a Packer, or out of prison for that matter.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why would anyone make those up? Makes too much sense to me for it to not be true. Perfect avenue for Aaron/Mike to stir the pot without facing any sort of consequences. 

Clicks = Money.

Ted is recommending someone from his stable to Mark Murphy. In fact, realistically, Ted is Mark’s boss in this regard. He’s the architect of all of this. Ted and Mark already know who’s getting the job. It’s one of Ball, Guntekunst, or Wolf. Ted will scout for them.

McCarthy is comfortable with whichever. He’s figuring out the DC position. 

Everyone is making this out to be a major change. It won’t be.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He's certainly better at evaluating defensive talent than Ted, but he's not been nearly as good on the offensive side.

Or maybe he happens to have a defensive coach whom he aligns well with when drafting defensive talent, while TT has the benefit of an offensive coach whom he aligns with.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's my point.  Everyone is going crazy for Schneider's drafts from 2010-2012, and then ignoring the drafts after.  It's the same people who are harking on TT's drafts since 2011, and then ignoring the previous work.  You have to be consistent with your stance.

EDIT: The Seahawks traded a 2nd this year for Sheldon Richardon, and a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year for Duane Brown.  And they missed the playoffs.  What kind of reaction do you think that Packers fans would have if they gave up three premium picks and missed the playoffs?  We'd have demanded Ted's head on a silver platter.

We wouldn't bc you add those pieces or similar quality players to a Rodgers-led team and we wouldnt miss the playoffs. We'd likely be a top seed. That's the difference between having Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson, etc. Those same moves that might not make sense for some teams make perfect sense for a team that doesnt need 9 draft picks, but rather needs 2-3 vet studs/quality players. 

Archived