Believe in Blake Bortles

pwny

https://sports.yahoo.com/believe-blake-bortles-211153971.html

“Who would have ever thought?” first-year offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett tells Yahoo Sports. To be sure, Bortles’ rapid ascension through the quarterback ranks is in large part traced to the tutelage of Hackett.

“You see Blake not only running the show, but commanding it,” Hackett says. “I have been more aggressive [as a play-caller] because Blake has allowed me to be. It’s so much more fun.”

In fact, Bortles ranks 11th in total passing yards, while tossing 21 touchdown passes, which slots him in between Cam Newton and Matt Ryan, the league’s previous two MVPs. Bortles’ improvement begs the question: What exactly has changed?

[continued]

Additionally, the 6-foot-5, 236-pounder has become a devastating runner. His 6.3 average per carry is the best among active players with at least 200 carries, and the fourth-best clip in NFL history, behind names like Michael Vick and Randall Cunningham. It’s yet another reason why the Jags won their first division title since 1999 and earned their first postseason birth since 2007.

After finishing 24th last season, Bortles now ranks 14th in Defense-adjusted Value Over Average (DVOA), which measures a quarterback’s value. His 4.1 percent clip slots him ahead of marquee quarterbacks like Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott and 2015 MVP Cam Newton. Additionally, his VOA — the so-called “cousin” stat of DVOA — ranks him ahead of two-time MVP Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford and Wilson.

Plus, it’s not as if he’s dinking and ducking his way down the field, which he did in 2016  while accumulating the third-lowest yards per attempt total. In 2017, he’s up to a 7.05 YPA, which is slightly ahead of Rodgers, hovering around the middle of the league.

Fact of the matter is, QB play outside of the elites are always going to be similar to what Blake has done this year. I have watched Cousins on several occasions and although he is better than Blake, he has some huge issues himself (and yes, I know most of that Washington team has battled serious injuries). 

It'll be interesting to see how these playoffs go, but I hope it's more like the IND/SEA/HOU stretch than the SF (although he had his moments) and TEN games. 

Either way, I hope we bring in some type of guy to push him and be a guy who could start if he falters/things aren't going well. I'd still be all for a QB round 1 even if a guy like Lamar/Baker/Rosen is there and we feel good about them ala Alex Smith/Mahomes in KC.

Either way, Blake is an awesome guy and I hope he continues to show more positives than negatives and can do some things for us here in the playoffs. I'd love nothing more for him to be the QB (if he deserves it) for this franchise for the long haul. But some weeks he makes it difficult.

we can't go into next season with him as the only realistic QB option. Need someone to push him for sure. dude has a 54.1 rating in the 4th quarter. He's not currently a playoff caliber player and wouldn't be anywhere near sniffing the playoffs if his defense wasn't the best in the league. 

Hope he gets better next year, because otherwise we're gonna waste this defense. 

On 1/2/2018 at 4:01 PM, Jaguarfan said:

we can't go into next season with him as the only realistic QB option. Need someone to push him for sure. dude has a 54.1 rating in the 4th quarter. He's not currently a playoff caliber player and wouldn't be anywhere near sniffing the playoffs if his defense wasn't the best in the league. 

Hope he gets better next year, because otherwise we're gonna waste this defense. 

We'll see what he does in the playoffs, when all the chips are down.  But i'm mostly inclined to side with this.

Problem is though, Blake has never really struck me as the type to respond all that positively to being "pushed" that way.  Some guys take that sort of move as inspiration and break out of their comfort zone and improve when their back is against the wall like that.  With Bortles though, he's already too predisposed to "trying to do too much" and this sort of thing looking over his shoulder at an oncoming challenger just seems likely to exacerbate the issue, pushing him to do too much, which is Bad Bortles, or pushing him to try to play an overly conservative timid game (a la an Alex Smith game manager) that he just isn't equipped to play.

It makes for a really tricky situation.  There's no way we can go into next season resting entirely on Bortles getting it done.  But i think any move you make to truly, legitimately push Bortles with a high-end rookie or veteran option...is ultimately just going to blow up into a full-on QB controversy by the end of training camp.

I don't know what the solution would even be.  But Bortles actually stringing together some promising, competent games here and there has really complicated things.

Archived