Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interestingly.....though I agree that AR provides us the best opportunity for W's now - these playoff performances and losses have begun to weigh on me.

Frankly, my only two "hedges" against wanting AR back is the team going into cap hell (which I'm hoping against hope they can avoid.....) and these playoff losses.

I like getting there....no doubt....and I'm not saying Love's gonna push us over the top (certainly not at the beginning...) - but the downturns we take in the playoffs is disconcerting at best.

My concerns about Rodgers turtling in the playoffs are still there. But I'm also not foolish enough to think Love would give them a better shot to get the team to the cusp like Rodgers can. I can only hope his latest debacle wakes him up.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

In big picture terms, this is great news for Packers' fans. Shows Gute's strongest internal drive is winning, above being right. He's going to take a lot of heat when Love is traded. A lot of people would have stuck with their original plan at all costs. But he is taking the path which provides the best chance to win the trophy - this coming year or next. And I have no doubt he'll be ready with a new plan when the cap dancing needs to be done at Rodger's retirement.

I won't give him heat.  He took a chance on Love.  It was the 26th pick, which are hit or miss a lot of time anyway, and I haven't thrown Love out just yet.  Was Love the motivation for Rodgers to get the MVPs? If so, it works for me.  Some teams have been looking for a QB for 50 years.  This is peanuts to pay and we may still get some dividends in his play or a trade.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

My concerns about Rodgers turtling in the playoffs are still there. But I'm also not foolish enough to think Love would give them a better shot to get them to the cusp like Rodgers can. I can only hope his latest debacle wakes him up.

Agree.

Love's entirely an open book for me. Unlike some, I've yet to see enough of him to know what he's got (or will develop into). I'm not an NFL GM and feel no need to play one on social media. My ego's not entwined into this situation at all.

Flip side to the "AR waking up" thesis you put forward.....you have to consider that even he may consider it time to switch things up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

My concerns about Rodgers turtling in the playoffs are still there. But I'm also not foolish enough to think Love would give them a better shot to get the team to the cusp like Rodgers can. I can only hope his latest debacle wakes him up.

The blame on Rodgers for this game is vastly overrated.  Sure, he missed some receivers as he did throughout his 13-3 MVP season.  He was 20-29 with zero picks in zero degree weather.  How atrocious.  Plenty of blame to go around Lewis fumbled, Aaron Jones angle on his reception, STs.  Rodgers performance could have been better, but it wasn't the disaster it's being made out to be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

The blame on Rodgers for this game is vastly overrated.  Sure, he missed some receivers as he did throughout his 13-3 MVP season.  He was 20-29 with zero picks in zero degree weather.  How atrocious.  Plenty of blame to go around Lewis fumbled, Aaron Jones angle on his reception, STs.  Rodgers performance could have been better, but it wasn't the disaster it's being made out to be.

Disaster is the wrong term IMO and I honestly dont think I've read anyone actually describing his game that way.

Then....when you throw "MVP sprinkles" over it all...you wind up with.....concerns...or a loss of confidence that he's gonna elevate his game to actually win the damn thing.  Underwhelming would be the term I'd apply.

ST snafu's not withstanding....the game was there to be won.....at home......and we didnt execute when it mattered - again.

6 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

That game would be fine if you're Jimmy Garappollo or Ryan Tannehill. It's not okay when you're the highest paid player on your team, the MVP, and the #1 seed. Aaron came up short in the playoffs once again. It just is what it is at this point

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Given the ST collapse, no.

I mean, with that collapse, we still lost by 3 points. The question remains, if 12 didn't have 17 as an option in the 2nd half, would the offense have actually performed better for that one half of football? (By comparison, with 17, we had one drive for 3 points and mostly 3 and outs otherwise).

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

That game would be fine if you're Jimmy Garappollo or Ryan Tannehill. It's not okay when you're the highest paid player on your team, the MVP, and the #1 seed. Aaron came up short in the playoffs once again. It just is what it is at this point

I agree.  We’ve seen this movie.  20-29 is misleading.  I can recall several completions where the pass was so bad that the play failed even though they were caught. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, with that collapse, we still lost by 3 points. The question remains, if 12 didn't have 17 as an option in the 2nd half, would the offense have actually performed better for that one half of football? (By comparison, with 17, we had one drive for 3 points and mostly 3 and outs otherwise).

I'll throw a different possibility at you.....

Rather than having a DL blocking the EDGE on FG and Xtra point attempts (I'm presuming Lancaster was out there on Xtra points....dont know) - what if Yosh was blocking there?

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Impossible to say.....Dillon being out hurt (coupled with the apparent lack of trust giving Patrick any snaps....).

Just now, Leader said:

I'll throw a different possibility at you.....

Rather than having a DL blocking the EDGE on FG and Xtra point attempts (I'm presuming Lancaster was out there on Xtra points....dont know) - what if Yosh was blocking there?

I mean the ST was a **** show. Any person in this forum could have done a better job than Drayton in that game. 

I think the question about Adams is interesting though given our success without him in the past and 12 playing a different game without him as well...