Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Depends. OTC has us at 7th. Spotrac has us at 19th. Neither site has us with our backs against the wall like the Chicken Littles of the world want you to believe.

Not all draft picks have signed so this is subject to shake up (and part of the reason for the discrepancy between the two sites) I haven't dived too deep into the differences to see exactly which one is wrong and why. So I'll concede that my point may be exaggerated if the data I trusted (since OTC typically has been better than Spotrac for team cap space) is inaccurate.

Regardless, we have plenty of cap space right now to capitalize on the inevitable post-June 1 cuts, should we choose to.

OTC does not have the Love contract included

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I agree we could be better. Incog said "obviously" better, and that's not true. We hope the young guys are better than league average, but many will bust, that's the nature of the game.

optimistic fans see all young players as ascending.  realistic ones see that some will ascend while others regress.

I think the “rebuilding” conversation comes down to simply… GB moving off Rodgers.

If everything was the same as now, just with Rodgers as the QB… everyone would be looking for GB to be “competing”.

I think given just the nature of how young QBs work the best case scenario is if Love is the long term answer… GB goes to the playoffs this year and is likely a one and done, but Love gains the experience. So they are ready to compete in earnest in 2024 and beyond.

But if you look at how GB is even operating finically… this year is being treated as a whatever happens happens, we just need to clear the books. The glass half full group can point to… regardless the experience, this team is miles away more talented that last year, if not the last 2-3 years. If that talent hits and hits early, no reason GB isn’t a surprise playoff team.

Glass half empty will look at the QB position and it’s great unknown… as well as all that inexperience and say that will hold the group back.

This seems very boom or bust… which likely means Gb will be middle of the road haha.

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I agree we could be better. Incog said "obviously" better, and that's not true. We hope the young guys are better than league average, but many will bust, that's the nature of the game.

We are obviously better overall in those two rooms than we were last year. 

Good chance that the packers recent draft made them worse relative to the rest of the league.  Every other team had a draft too and they all think that they had the best draft for their needs/team.

Good chance that switching from Rodgers to Love will actually be a significant downgrade, and that losing Lazard will be a big deal.

Many things have to break right for the Packers to be back where they were last year - in playoff contention in week 18.

Now, they definitely could overcome those obstacles, they could rebuild completely with 1 draft.  But they are definitely rebuilding - they are shedding veterans and getting younger, not retaining Free Agents, and drafting over 10 players when in previous situations they have had less emphasis on this team-building approach.

Why did they change the team-building approach? Because they are rebuilding after a failed season.

After working in the yard most of the day and coming back to read the last four pages, I must say it makes my head hurt. Optimist and pessimist both calling each other what they are, while everyone declaring they are the realist in the debate. At this point in the season is there any reason not to focus on the why it can be done, rather than the why it can't be done. 

It says a lot more about individual people than what they realize. You have free choice to live in the world that you want to, chose wisely.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Good chance that the packers recent draft made them worse relative to the rest of the league.  Every other team had a draft too and they all think that they had the best draft for their needs/team.

Good chance that switching from Rodgers to Love will actually be a significant downgrade, and that losing Lazard will be a big deal.

Many things have to break right for the Packers to be back where they were last year - in playoff contention in week 18.

Now, they definitely could overcome those obstacles, they could rebuild completely with 1 draft.  But they are definitely rebuilding - they are shedding veterans and getting younger, not retaining Free Agents, and drafting over 10 players when in previous situations they have had less emphasis on this team-building approach.

Why did they change the team-building approach? Because they are rebuilding after a failed season.

Why is there a good chance our 13 picks will be worse than the other draft classes? What is a "good" chance? 

This reads far more pessimistic than realistic.

5 minutes ago, R T said:

After working in the yard most of the day and coming back to read the last four pages, I must say it makes my head hurt. Optimist and pessimist both calling each other what they are, while everyone declaring they are the realist in the debate. At this point in the season is there any reason not to focus on the why it can be done, rather than the why it can't be done. 

It says a lot more about individual people than what they realize. You have free choice to live in the world that you want to, chose wisely.  

The next optimist in this thread will be the first one 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Damn, there goes my argument that this isn't a rebuild. Full rebuild now. 

The Packers did Coco a good deed here, when they signed Orzech to a 3-year deal with guaranteed money the writing was on the wall that it was over for Coco in GB. This give him a chance to sign on with another team and have a fair shot at a roster spot. Will not be surprised to see him get claimed in the next day. 

1 minute ago, R T said:

The Packers did Coco a good deed here, when they signed Orzech to a 3-year deal with guaranteed money the writing was on the wall that it was over for Coco in GB. This give him a chance to sign on with another team and have a fair shot at a roster spot. Will not be surprised to see him get claimed in the next day. 

Little do we know, but Coco was at the top the Rodgers' Wish List.