Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think I just bite the bullet and eat all of the contract next season.  Love Aaron Jones, but I don't think I want anything to do with extending a high money contract with him into 2025. He is a RB hitting the 30 year mark and already has durability issues.  

So Jones is due about $7M in bonuses that won't change, and another $11M in salary for a total of $18M cap hit. I just don't see how you can justify biting that bullet. That's why @CWood21 and I are suggesting an extension or an outright pay cut. If instead of $11M over one year, you offer $5M guaranteed, and $3M/year for two years. His cap hit would be $7M (existing bonuses) + $2.5M (new guaranteed) + $3M in 2023 base = $13M. So his cap hit goes down about $5M in 2024. You'd be pushing another $2.5M of guaranteed money into 2024, plus his remaining void year bonuses. So in a way, you're just pushing out the full extend of the bullet biting for one more year of service.

Another option, you just tell Jones you're going to cut him if he doesn't take a $4M paycut. If Jones thinks he can more than $7M on the open market, he might not bite. This would less than what he would earn in scenario one.

Either way, I just don't see them keeping his $11M base salary in 2024. That would be the 2nd highest in the league.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I actually wonder what the teams signing our former WRs thought they were getting.  Moreso MVS and Lazard.

I think that the Jets and Chiefs have misused both of these players and expected more than the role they played on the Packers, which is what they were very well suited for.  The Packers used Lazard really as a replacement for not having a real TE threat.  He is a really big WR that blocks and moves the chains.  A very useful player, but not one that you give 11 million per year for and deploy as your go to WR2.  I think the Chiefs didn't really do their homework on MVS either.  I think they see gigantic plays and 23mph running speeds and just think they can get a cheap(er) Tyreek Hill replacement.  MVS will pull a deep safety like Tyreek, but that is about where the comparisons end.  MVS is a 50-50 proposition when throwing him the ball, he is used to make teams play back and open up underneath stuff, and he is also a really good blocker from the WR spot.  But if you really need to pick up a first down, you are flipping a coin with MVS.  

I don't want either back with the Packers.  But that is because I am really high on the WR room that we currently have.  I do think that both of them can be utilized much better than they have been, and when they eventually get cut they can most likely be useful to a WR room that uses them properly.

It's wild that this is even a conversation topic. MVS/Lazard would be WR5 on this roster, and the 6th pass catching option if you include Musgrave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's just a guy, and not a real good one at that.  Take a guy in the middle rounds with high upside and move on.

Eh, I just don't see it as a priority to even mention him.

IMO:

Move on from Dillon. He struggles to consistently run like a big guy. Dances too much at the LOS. 

Extend Jones in a manner that gives us easy cap hits for the next few seasons. Mathematically there's no better way. He becomes a 10-touch-a-game type.

Draft a guy in rds 3-6 who could become the every-down type. 

Taylor competes against UDFAs for RB3.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Patrick Taylor?  Thinking you can draft somebody fairly low for a rb and do just what Taylor would do.  Save the salary dollars and draft another back if that's the case.

Like I said, he is a guy that will be cheap and already knows the system.  He can be your back-up and 3rd down back.  He is a good blocker, and with more carries this season, his average ypc is up and he is a competent receiver, considering the looks he has gotten.

If you only have 3 RBs that you want in the draft, and you don't get any of them, and Dillon has outpriced himself then you look at a familiar face.  

36 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

It's wild that this is even a conversation topic. MVS/Lazard would be WR5 on this roster, and the 6th pass catching option if you include Musgrave

Strong disagree from me.  But I would rather have a 22 year old Wicks over a 29 year old MVS to develop.  So give the kids the snaps.  

But our bullishness on the current WR room doesn't mean that two of our former players aren't good and aren't being misused.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Strong disagree from me.  But I would rather have a 22 year old Wicks over a 29 year old MVS to develop.  So give the kids the snaps.  

But our bullishness on the current WR room doesn't mean that two of our former players aren't good and aren't being misused.  

Who do you think MVS is better than amongst our young guys. And...why?

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think we will take a size/speed wideout in the draft, since Watson hasn't shown himself to be able to stay healthy.  Then need another speed element to make this offense dynamic.

Ok. My point is that MVS sucks and I wouldn't even take him above our 6/7 guys right now regardless of contract. Give me Heath and Melton over him straight up.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

Who do you think MVS is better than amongst our young guys. And...why?

MVS would most likely see the field over Wicks and Doubs and at times both.  Heath probably wouldn't be on the team, and we can also eliminate Melton and Toure most likely with him.  MVS is not as dynamic as a healthy Watson, but he draws safeties deep, and blocks just as well, probably better.  I think you would see MVS opening up underneath routes for Reed especially, but probably Wicks and Doubs as well, depending on the personnel grouping.  MVS pulls zones together and all of a sudden we have 4.3 Reed running around LBs flailing around like their name is DeVondre Campbell.

At this point, I don't take MVS (or Lazard) over our current guys because I really like what we have, and I want to see how they develop or fall short as they age.  I am very bullish on Wicks.  But 1 to 1, only this season, take the vets and the better QB.  Yeah, I did say that.  Love is better than Mahomes.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Ok. My point is that MVS sucks and I wouldn't even take him above our 6/7 guys right now regardless of contract. Give me Heath and Melton over him straight up.

Technically I'd agree, but he offers an element the Packers need for their offense to take off.  MVS might have been more valuable to the Packers this ear than Heath or Melton has been because teams have to respect the deep speed.  

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think we will take a size/speed wideout in the draft, since Watson hasn't shown himself to be able to stay healthy.  Then need another speed element to make this offense dynamic.

Gotta see where that size/speed guy is.  EQ/MVS/Lazard type of investment, I'm in.  Adding another 2nd rounder to this group? I am cooler on that idea.

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

MVS would most likely see the field over Wicks and Doubs and at times both.  Heath probably wouldn't be on the team, and we can also eliminate Melton and Toure most likely with him.  MVS is not as dynamic as a healthy Watson, but he draws safeties deep, and blocks just as well, probably better.  I think you would see MVS opening up underneath routes for Reed especially, but probably Wicks and Doubs as well, depending on the personnel grouping.  MVS pulls zones together and all of a sudden we have 4.3 Reed running around LBs flailing around like their name is DeVondre Campbell.

At this point, I don't take MVS (or Lazard) over our current guys because I really like what we have, and I want to see how they develop or fall short as they age.  I am very bullish on Wicks.  But 1 to 1, only this season, take the vets and the better QB.  Yeah, I did say that.  Love is better than Mahomes.

You must have a heavy MVS bias...

He's... really bad. No chance he beats out Doubs lol

Or Wicks.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Technically I'd agree, but he offers an element the Packers need for their offense to take off.  MVS might have been more valuable to the Packers this ear than Heath or Melton has been because teams have to respect the deep speed.  

Yeah, his 20 catches, 300 yds and 1 TD with Mahomes, on a team with no WR talent is really a testament to how good he is.

Guys. mVS straight up sucks. He'd be the 8th receiving option at best here