Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

Finish up the Monday protocols. Show everyone, players and coaches, their due respect for the very hard work that goes into each season. I still think they would be negligent not to interview candidates for DC and see what the options are. None of this has to be finished this week or on media’s timeline but you can’t claim “due diligence“ if you don’t explore all of the options. If they decide to run it back, there will be plenty of wailing and doubting from the fans with a lot of good reason. We are trying to win it all, if they don’t think Barry can be that guy I don’t want to settle for the devil we know. 

This.

33 minutes ago, Leader said:

Let's see how loyal he is, offer him the vet minimum for 3 years, all guaranteed! LOL

Seriously, he played better than I thought he was able to. I still can't give him what he's going to get on the open market. 

23 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Aw man, the way that first question immediately broke him down. I know he's been one of the most criticized Packers of the past couple years, but JRJ seems like a genuinely great dude.

Top 5 graded offensive player vs SF, too. 

He's a valuable roster piece at the right price.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Top 5 graded offensive player vs SF, too. 

He's a valuable roster piece at the right price.

I reluctantly disagree.

We drafted a tackle, from a big time program,  in the third round and have trained him to play guard for two years.  We did that so that we should not overpay for guys like JRJ.

And we will keep doing it. 

I know that there is a price out there that we'd all like JRJ back at.  But in terms of roster building and draft/development, bringing him back is the wrong play here.

As much as I dig that video and for as much as I've seen improvement from him, it is time to move on and see what we have in Rhyan. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I reluctantly disagree.

We drafted a tackle, from a big time program,  in the third round and have trained him to play guard for two years.  We did that so that we should not overpay for guys like JRJ.

And we will keep doing it. 

I know that there is a price out there that we'd all like JRJ back at.  But in terms of roster building and draft/development, bringing him back is the wrong play here.

As much as I dig that video and for as much as I've seen improvement from him, it is time to move on and see what we have in Rhyan. 

That video tells you everything you need to know about having to "overpay" for him. 

We won't have to.

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Here is hoping the Packers are as willing to move on from their worst coaches/coordinators, as they are with their players.

It's not an easy task to justify staff changes to people who actually know football after a season that handily exceeded expectations. 

Convince me that Rashan Gary was better than Joe Barry this season when it mattered 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

That video tells you everything you need to know about having to "overpay" for him. 

We won't have to.

We need better that what Runyan showed this year.  He was subpar for most of this season.  Tough business, but the Packers need to replace him.  If he wants to come back for cheap then maybe they can work something out, but someone out there will probably pay him a lot more than the Packers will.  

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

It's not an easy task to justify staff changes to people who actually know football after a season that handily exceeded expectations. 

Convince me that Rashan Gary was better than Joe Barry this season when it mattered 

It is very difficult for outsiders to judge coaching, as the evidence is usually indirect. Still, it should be possible to evaluate guys for those on the inside, irrespective of the results.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We need better that what Runyan showed this year.  He was subpar for most of this season.  Tough business, but the Packers need to replace him.  If he wants to come back for cheap then maybe they can work something out, but someone out there will probably pay him a lot more than the Packers will.  

If he's so bad, yet played so much for us (indicating we don't have a better option on the roster), why would another team pay him more than we would?

41 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We won't have to.

If he expects to be paid like a quality starting guard, that is an overpay.  He's precisely the kind of player that we should not be offering a starters' contract to.  

If he wants a nice Lane Taylor/Lucas Patrick deal?  Now I'm open for business.  

21 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If he's so bad, yet played so much for us (indicating we don't have a better option on the roster), why would another team pay him more than we would?

Most teams don't have a comparable replacement on a rookie contract waiting in the wings. 

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If he expects to be paid like a quality starting guard, that is an overpay.  He's precisely the kind of player that we should not be offering a starters' contract to.  

If he wants a nice Lane Taylor/Lucas Patrick deal?  Now I'm open for business.  

"If"

What makes you think he's expecting to be paid like a "quality starting guard"? And how much is that?

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Which teams don't who are looking to add an apparently below average starter this FA?

Lol I'm not going down that path

I like Runyan and am not even calling him below average. I'm just saying that with the dearth of OL talent around the league, plus Rhyan already competing for snaps on a rookie deal, it stands to reason that a league-average starting guard like Runyan would have a bigger market outside of Green Bay.

• Like 2