Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

To add to this, this also eliminates the pressure to take an early slot corner, in case the draft does not fall the way we want it to. 

It would be nice to add an early pick to this CB room, but it's hardly a necessity now. Which is what I like about how Gute handles FA.

Sooooo many good slot CB guys in this class though. I hope GB doesn't go the other way "hey we got Nixon so we're going to pass" on Bullard, Jones, T. Smith, etc. Hope they still look to upgrade if the board leans that way. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

What were the real cuts? Swapping Jacob's for Jones and upgrading Savage to McKinney doesn't feel like starving the team to fix the cap. 

Ol buddy just wants to be right so bad.

Have you ever tried posing your question to the guy that actually made the comment? He might actually have an answer or clarification for you.

8 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

What were the real cuts? Swapping Jacob's for Jones and upgrading Savage to McKinney doesn't feel like starving the team to fix the cap. 

Ol buddy just wants to be right so bad.

Campbell and Bakh as well. Kinda obvious cuts, but certainly "real" in that they were under contract and their cuts have a dead cap impact too. Along with Jones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Have you ever tried posing your question to the guy that actually made the comment? He might actually have an answer or clarification for you.

I'm not going to get an answer from him, id just be blocked. You bring it here to put it in our universe. I ask my question back to the universe.

Not asking you the question when I quote you.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

I'm not going to get an answer from him, id just be blocked. You bring it here to put it in our universe. I ask my question back to the universe.

Not asking you the question when I quote you.

Actually....if you look at the replies that came with the initial post - you'll see others (randos) referencing previous / unspecified cuts. So apparently there were some. I dont see a reply back to any of them - but I doubt they got blocked. Ingalls has never struck me as "I'm right about all things" reactionary. 

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

Sure he might be our 6th-best receiver, but IMO Heath has already proven he's in a different category than the Charles Johnsons and Malachi Dupres of the world.

The Allen conversation is dumb anyway because as good as he is, there are teams who need a guy like that way more than we do. Just off the top of my head, there's ARI, NE, IND, JAX, CHI, KC, NYG, CAR, and probably some others.

We aren't bringing Allen into GB, that we agree on.

In 13 games Heath has 15 catches for 125 yards 8.3ypc and 1 TD (also a couple very poor drops on his limited targets).  He hasn't proved anything.    Being a tier...or two...above Charles Johnson or Malachi Dupre is still a hurdle one is stepping over, not even a little bunny hop.  I do get the reasons for everyone's optimism for Heath, but he should never be the reason we wouldn't look to upgrade that position.  (last part isn't directed at you Lodestar)

39 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Sooooo many good slot CB guys in this class though. I hope GB doesn't go the other way "hey we got Nixon so we're going to pass" on Bullard, Jones, T. Smith, etc. Hope they still look to upgrade if the board leans that way. 

This is how I feel about WR - or any of our position groups for that matter.    Bottom of the roster is infinitely replaceable/upgradeable year over year

2 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Agree he's not coming here...but to satisfy my own interest, I looked up his activity to see how many games he's played / missed.....

2020 - 14 games played
2021- 17
2022 - 10
2023 - 13

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Campbell and Bakh as well. Kinda obvious cuts, but certainly "real" in that they were under contract and their cuts have a dead cap impact too. Along with Jones.

Well yeah but Campbell was underperforming and became a semi-discontent at the end of the year. And bakhs situation was what it was. I don't think they were cut to fix our cap as much as production/health didn't equal compensation.

If Bakh was healthy last year I'd assume he's on the team this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

Well yeah but Campbell was underperforming and became a semi-discontent at the end of the year. And bakhs situation was what it was. I don't think they were cut to fix our cap as much as production/health didn't equal compensation.

If Bakh was healthy last year I'd assume he's on the team this year.

It depends on how you interpret his "unfortunate" qualifier. They were certainly not unfortunate in regard to forward value. But the results (dead cap) are an unfortunate result of the "all-in"mentality under Rodgers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Actually....if you look at the replies that came with the initial post - you'll see others (randos) referencing previous / unspecified cuts. So apparently there were some. I dont see a reply back to any of them - but I doubt they got blocked. Ingalls has never struck me as "I'm right about all things" reactionary. 

Well the cuts are bakh Campbell and Jones 100%. The only surprise is Jones and by all accounts we were trying to jimmy that contract and probably push some further down the road.

It's not like we were the Bills who had to make actual decisions on productive players.

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

It's not like we were the Bills who had to make actual decisions on productive players.

Correct - which is a good thing and I agree with the basic tenet of his comment: GB's getting it's cap situation reoriented and organized.

Thats pretty much all I took from his comment - which dovetails with the general commentary on the teams actions - and which is a good thing.

The interesting "un-calculated" part of this chatter is what Love's extension winds up looking like. Not sure when that's coming down the pike....but I sense it's getting worked on as we speak.

25 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

In 13 games Heath has 15 catches for 125 yards 8.3ypc and 1 TD (also a couple very poor drops on his limited targets).  He hasn't proved anything.    Being a tier...or two...above Charles Johnson or Malachi Dupre is still a hurdle one is stepping over, not even a little bunny hop.  I do get the reasons for everyone's optimism for Heath, but he should never be the reason we wouldn't look to upgrade that position.  (last part isn't directed at you Lodestar)

Yeah I'm not saying we shouldn't look to upgrade at WR if a guy falls in our laps. Hell, if this front office saw a guy they liked and took him in round 1 or 2 this year, I would find a way to get very excited about it.

What I am saying is that Heath's 13 measly catches as a rookie puts him in a different category than guys like Dupre, Johnson, DeAngelo Yancey, Kevin Dorsey, et al who never caught a single ball for us — AKA the guys Uglem is referring to when he says Packers fans overvalue our fringe WRs (which I think historically is true).

Finally, and most importantly, I somehow all this time thought your avatar was Vince McMahon, not Ken Jennings.