Patriots - End of an Era?

Nick_gb

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He was made partial owner in Washington, something that couldn't happen in Green Bay.

I remember Lombardi's very emotional press conference where he stated that the demands of both GM and HC were too much for one person, so he was relinquishing the HC position (He gave it to Phil Bengston). A year later he realized that he missed coaching too much, but he was in a bind. He couldn't push his friend, Bengston, aside, so he left for Washington. That's the story as I remember it. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I remember Lombardi's very emotional press conference where he stated that the demands of both GM and HC were too much for one person, so he was relinquishing the HC position (He gave it to Phil Bengston). A year later he realized that he missed coaching too much, but he was in a bind. He couldn't push his friend, Bengston, aside, so he left for Washington. That's the story as I remember it. 

Lombardi wanted to get paid. The Redskins wrote him a fat check that the Packers were going to match, so the Redskins threw on the partial owner title to seal the deal.

I know we want to romanticize the legends of the past, but Vince wasn't leaving Green Bay due to some emotional bond he had with coaching. Vince was looking to get paid. While I have no doubt that Vince had a great relationship with the city and his players, looking at it from any perspective other than a man taking a better job for financial and ego issues, I believe is misguided. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I wonder if he was starting to have health issues even then...

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lombardi wanted to get paid. The Redskins wrote him a fat check that the Packers were going to match, so the Redskins threw on the partial owner title to seal the deal.

I know we want to romanticize the legends of the past, but Vince wasn't leaving Green Bay due to some emotional bond he had with coaching. Vince was looking to get paid. While I have no doubt that Vince had a great relationship with the city and his players, looking at it from any perspective other than a man taking a better job for financial and ego issues, I believe is misguided. 

Those are strong words. What evidence do you have that is was all about the money? 

23 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Those are strong words. What evidence do you have that is was all about the money? 

Coming off of yet another losing season, Redskins' owner and president Edward Bennett Williams reportedly offered the farm: an executive vice president title, full say over personnel and football decisions, a $110,000 salary and a 5 percent stake in ownership.

The Green Bay Packers subsequently released him from his contract, finalizing the deal.

At his introductory press conference, Lombardi was all smiles, telling the media: "I'm very happy to be here--believe me--most happy to be a Washington Redskin."

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Vince-Lombardis-Enduring-Redskins-Legacy/a0ddd6a0-05f0-4438-b8ea-0e6d9ae6a25f

We can't apply fan logic to decisions people make at their jobs. Sure, we are eternally loyal to the Packers because it doesn't really impact our lives one way or the other. For them it's their job, a very unstable one at that, so you can't fault these men for seeking better salaries. I love my company and coworkers but I know I'd switch jobs in a second if they offered me significantly more money with similar conditions in a different company.

Archived