Gimme some Gruden info boys!

RaidersAreOne

Hey Gents,

In case you missed it, the Raiders have their next HC for the next decade. LOL.

Can you guys please provide me some information on Gruden?

• What type of schemes he runs?
  • How does he utilize his RBs/TEs in the passing game?
  • Is he ZBS or PBS orientated? 
  • What did he do best?
  • What were his downfalls?

Any and all info would be much appreciated!

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

I mean. It's been a decade since he was on a sideline. Your guess is as good as mine. icon_lol.gif

Were you a fan in 2006? Haha. Apparently he has been updating his playbook over the years after breaking down college/NFL film. I guess a lot of it will have changed tbh. He did like high tempo stuff though correct?

If there's any coach I'd give $100M to, it's BB.

He took Matt Cassell to a 10-6 record. He made both Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett look like all pros. Hell, Matt Shaub looked awesome with him.

The Jets had Revis. So he opted for TEs so he could beat them. 

There isn't a coach in the NFL that adapts his game plan, play calling, AND roster like he does.

The biggest thing about Gruden was stubbornness. He literally didn’t use the shotgun until 2007 when Jeff Garcia pushed for it. 

He also put a lot of players in his doghouse for reasons no one quite knows and he never really let them out. 

Drafting was also not a strong suit. He found some good players, but I can more easily name monumental busts than players who panned out into quality long term starters for the Bucs.

On the other hand, gameplanning was one of his strongest attributes. He went into Philly in the NFCCG with a great game plan and was able to get enough done against a good defence to win the game. 

Given that you guys appear to have a solid core at key positions, you should have success fairly early on. I don’t know enough about your oline, but Gruden has a good track record at building that unit, so when it comes time to replace the older guys, you should be fine.

Overall, Gruden can take a team with a solid foundation up a level, so it should be a good hire in the short term. His issues arise when he has to rebuild a unit when the older guys start to decline/ retire.

Absoultely awful draft talent evaluator. I think the only good pick that we took under him was Aqib Talib. Everyone else was solid at best and turned into bums after contract 2. Seriously, keep chucky OUT the draft room. 

Positive side of things:

Elite second half adjustment coach. We’d start off games really slow and play behind a lot but we always made it a game and would steal games from teams. He did this with Jeff Garcia at QB and a bunch of cast offs. Galloway, Hillard, etc..

Gru is a brilliant offensive mind. Hell just look at his brother out in DC. He is king of getting good matchups and exploiting them. He doesn’t just rely on his WRs either. I’ll never forget this one particular wheel route he called for Michael Pittman vs ATL for 6. Dude just understands what the defense is going to do. He uses a lot of motion and that helps identify what the coverage is. Great coach just not a good guy if you want him to build your team. Which isnt the case in OAK because they are only a few pieces away on D from becoming a top team. I know the offense was this year but with Gruden at the helm its easily a top 10 unit possibly 5.

Cheers for the info boys. It's pretty much what I expected and have heard a lot. I notice  guys didn't touch on FA, which I read is another strong suit of his. At the end of the day, Reggie is being retained and I thank god for that. We are also supposedly brining in 2 more executives for the front office to help Reggie out. 

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Cheers for the info boys. It's pretty much what I expected and have heard a lot. I notice  guys didn't touch on FA, which I read is another strong suit of his. At the end of the day, Reggie is being retained and I thank god for that. We are also supposedly brining in 2 more executives for the front office to help Reggie out. 

Ehhhh.

There are more success stories in FA than in the draft, but his 2004 FA class was a disaster. 

He did get more than was apparently left in the tank from Chris Hovan, Kevin Carter, Philip Buchanan, Keenan McCardell and Antonio Bryant to name just a few, but it got to the stage where the team was a patchwork of decent, old vets, with no younger players being developed behind them to take over.

The problem he has is that FA becomes a crutch to support his poor drafting. 

If Reggie and him can get along and Reggie does the drafting, you’ll be alright. If him and Reggie eventually fall out (eg the Gruden V McKay saga), it’ll get messy.

6 hours ago, indifference said:

Absoultely awful draft talent evaluator. I think the only good pick that we took under him was Aqib Talib. Everyone else was solid at best and turned into bums after contract 2. Seriously, keep chucky OUT the draft room. 

Davin Joesph was another one, though he got derailed by his knee injury. 

I’d argue Jermaine Phillips too. Another one who had his career cut short by injury.

Still not great, admittedly.

On 1/6/2018 at 5:03 AM, Buc Ball said:

Davin Joesph was another one, though he got derailed by his knee injury. 

I’d argue Jermaine Phillips too. Another one who had his career cut short by injury.

Still not great, admittedly.

In fairness, they found Penn, Bennett, and Graham as UDFAs.   I would expect his offense today to look similar to KC.  Presnap motion to give Carr a read of man or zone.  I guess if a player sustains a career ending injury, we can debate whether he is a bust or not.  My opinion is no, so draft picks like Simms, Caddy, and Sears I don't view as busts.  We 'll  see how much Carr plays in the shotgun, Gruden wasnt a big fan in Tampa because passing routes were based on timing.  Im not writing he wont use shotgun, but just maybe not as much on first or second down as the league average.

Im glad Gruden is back in the league.  I'm sure Davis wont be applauded by this move with his fellow owners because he has now redefined the coaching salary structure.  Not only with Gruden s salary and team, but coordinators reportedly being offered 4 year deals. I have  no problem with Gruden and the coaches getting that money.

my fear as if Gruden were to be brought back by the Bucs, he would still be that stubborn coach that would do it his way because it "worked in the past" nonsense. That's why Lovie Smith failed. Now Gruden, failed because he was stubborn, drove Rich McKay out of Tampa for his guy Bruce Allen from Oakland and Gruden failed to succeed with the extra power in roster and draft control given to him. Sure one can argue they had no picks in the first two rounds in 2002 and then no first in 03 and no second in 04. However, none of his drafts really worked out and failed at most of his picks. Talib and Tanard Jackson were his best picks and both had issues off the field that never brought them second contracts. 

That said, I haven't read what the terms of Grudens role in the personnel department. I hope he does not have final say over Mckenzie. 

The fire, juice, and preparation he brought to teams were top notch. If it is true, that he is only going to focus on coaching and the 9 years in the booth and doing homework on today's NFL game from ESPN's standpoint, and he has an updated playbook from all his studies, maybe this is a huge success. 

He was rightfully fired by the Bucs organization because he failed to rebuild this franchise and every decision was bad almost. If he can let the personnel and scouting department do it's job and trust them, I think this can workout for Oakland. 

Archived