2017 Wild Card Round

Leader

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

After watching ATL against the LAR last night - I think they're hitting stride at the right time. The stage definitely looked too large for LA - but they'll be back next year. ATL has a balanced look to them and their D is showing clear signs of SEA-like speed and extra-curricular holding and hitting - with payoffs. Although I thought PHIL the most balanced NFC team in the Playoffs - the inclusion of Foles into that equation has given me pause to think that ATL can take them.

yep ATL has a great chance to beat PHI. I suspect they'll even be favored by vegas. They (ATL) have a bit of a 2010 GB whiff to them, minus the ever-important elite QB play, however. I like them to make a game of the NFCCG. If MIN lucks into making the NFCCG I see ATL winning it. If NO makes it, I see NO dispatching ATL in NO. Torn on CAR, but if CAR gets past NO and MIN, I like them at home vs ATL too.

11 hours ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

I have no problem with the idea of replays, but rather how much time it takes to make the damn call. If it's a simple "did he get his feet inbounds" call.. it shouldn't take 4 minutes out of the game to decide when the replay is so clear.

This should take no more than 30-45 seconds. It's ridiculous how much it slows the game down. I hate it.

Yup.  The replay itself isn't the problem, it's the execution.  The league needs to figure out how to stop interrupting games for 5 minutes to review calls that the average fan can determine within 15 seconds.  More to the point, if a replay shown at 1/2 speed doesn't make the call obvious, let the play stand and move on.  This whole freeze frame split second "evidence" being used to overrule calls is nuts.  At this point, the refs are being held to standards that literally aren't even possible for a human to meet.

Atlanta has a defense I hoped we would have. Speed all over the place, a very good pass rusher and good fatties, strong play from ILB who has speed, shut down corner and a good #2, CB3 is an amazing tackler (Poole), Neal is playing well. 

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think PHI needs to hope for bad weather next weekend if they are going to hang with ATL.  The Falcons look like a team that is hitting its stride at the right time.

I was thinking the weather angle as well......but then I consider how well do I think Foles will perform in it and doubts creep in. ATLs D game will to speed rush and assault Foles. Period the end. Will cold weather slow / prevent that? Not sure. A sprinkling of snow might though.....

I think Foles capable - he's not a bum IMO - but he can go either way.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Yup.  The replay itself isn't the problem, it's the execution.  The league needs to figure out how to stop interrupting games for 5 minutes to review calls that the average fan can determine within 15 seconds.  More to the point, if a replay shown at 1/2 speed doesn't make the call obvious, let the play stand and move on.  This whole freeze frame split second "evidence" being used to overrule calls is nuts.  At this point, the refs are being held to standards that literally aren't even possible for a human to meet.

It needs to be an automatic change.  All turnovers and scoring plays should be reviewed by a single source within two minutes after the play in question comes to an end, or else the call remains the same.

The NFL keeps looking at protests and lack of scoring and all these other things that they like to blame the ratings dip on when the answer is abundantly clear.  They've taken excitement out of the game.  What are the two most exciting plays in football?  Turnovers and touchdowns.  What's the quickest way to make touchdowns and turnovers abundantly less exciting?  Have every single one of them subject to a four minute replay. 

I remember I used to jump and shout and scream whenever the Packers had a turnover or a touchdown.  Now I literally just stare at the screen and wait for the review.  Then I'll give a little fist pump once it's confirmed. 

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

Atlanta has a defense I hoped we would have. Speed all over the place, a very good pass rusher and good fatties, strong play from ILB who has speed, shut down corner and a good #2, CB3 is an amazing tackler (Poole), Neal is playing well. 

ATL has SEAs D - because ATL has SEAs former DC as HC. I wouldnt mind some of it as well.

Just now, Leader said:

ATL has SEAs D - because ATL has SEAs former DC as HC. I wouldnt mind some of it as well.

Well I meant more personnel. Atlanta's back end does not touch the LoB. Deion Jones won't be compared to Wagner yet, but KJ Wright as far as coverage goes. 

2 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Very much this. Jones and Campbell are fast, havoc causing ILBs and Alford and Trufant balled out last night. Just played strong, mostly man coverage and stuck to their guys. Rams hardly had an open receiver all night. 100% difference from what we have seen the last few years in GB with receivers running free all over the place. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It needs to be an automatic change.  All turnovers and scoring plays should be reviewed by a single source within two minutes after the play in question comes to an end, or else the call remains the same.

The NFL keeps looking at protests and lack of scoring and all these other things that they like to blame the ratings dip on when the answer is abundantly clear.  They've taken excitement out of the game.  What are the two most exciting plays in football?  Turnovers and touchdowns.  What's the quickest way to make touchdowns and turnovers abundantly less exciting?  Have every single one of them subject to a four minute replay. 

I remember I used to jump and shout and scream whenever the Packers had a turnover or a touchdown.  Now I literally just stare at the screen and wait for the review.  Then I'll give a little fist pump once it's confirmed. 

And flags. I never cheer a play for a full 5s as I stare at the banner on the bottom of the screen

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

Well I meant more personnel. Atlanta's back end does not touch the LoB. Deion Jones won't be compared to Wagner yet, but KJ Wright as far as coverage goes. 

I'm not making a player for player comparison. The schemes, attitudes and implementation look similar to me - hence, ATL's drafting or selecting FAs that mirror SEAs IMO.

Just now, Leader said:
2 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I'm not making a player for player comparison. The schemes, attitudes and implementation look similar to me - hence, ATL's drafting or selecting FAs that mirror SEAs IMO.

Okay, I understand that

Just now, incognito_man said:

And flags. I never cheer a play for a full 5s as I stare at the banner on the bottom of the screen

Exactly.  A play should be blown dead the minute a flag is thrown, too.  This is a change that will never happen, but I don't even watch punt returns anymore.  If something big happens, it's called back on 80% of the plays. 

It would hurt the Packers because of all the free plays Rodgers gets, but I don't even care.  If there's a penalty, it won't count anyway, so why allow the play to continue? 

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

I was thinking the weather angle as well......but then I consider how well do I think Foles will perform in it and doubts creep in. ATLs D game will to speed rush and assault Foles. Period the end. Will cold weather slow / prevent that? Not sure. A sprinkling of snow might though.....

I think Foles capable - he's not a bum IMO - but he can go either way.

I think ATL is going to give Foles major problems no matter the weather.  I think PHI would benefit greatly if they get some cold & windy weather to force ATL into leaning on their run game.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think ATL is going to give Foles major problems no matter the weather.  I think PHI would benefit greatly if they get some cold & windy weather to force ATL into leaning on their run game.

Probably true....but dont discount Matty Ice's innate ability (or habit) to make the inopportune (read: boneheaded) throw that winds up in a defenders hands. More often when trying to jam a pass into Julio that should find Sanu or Taylor......

Archived