Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This is saying we gave up the 5th MOST rushing yards in the league

If you go Avg yards per rush, we gave up 4.7, thats tied for 2nd WORST

For a team that won 11 games (i.e. teams arent killing the clock on us) that is HORRENDOUS. We has the 22nd most rushes against, and gave up the 5th most total yards. Also, only 3 teams gave up more Rushing TDs than we did.

yea, my bad - I pulled the wrong information. 

17 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

Why would McVay draft J. Crowder in 2015 when they already had Jackson and Garcon? Why in 2016 did he draft J.Docton when he had Crowder, Jacskson AND Garcon?  McVay drafts weapons - history will show you that regardless of who YOU think is a priority.  McVay is offensive minded - it's not easy to figure that out. 

You are aware that McVay wasnt in charge of any of those drafts right? Hes not even necessarily in charge of these drafts. This is much more of Snead's show than it every has been before, the last two offseason moves make that pretty darn obvious. McVay is the HC, he clearly has a heavy influence but he isnt making the draft picks or the free agent signings.

I wouldnt say a WR isnt an option early in the draft (early is relative since we dont have a 2nd round pick) but I he proved he can do very well with basically the same WR group we currently have. Yes Sammy Watkins' reputation is much higher than Josh Reynolds', but is it crazy to think he could be the other outside weapon and put up? Take away the TDs, what Sammy gave us was 3 catches for 40 yards on average each week. And if those 8-10 TDs are spread among Reynolds, Everett, and then Kupp... I think that is a pretty likely scenario

5 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Absolutely I’m comfortable with the WR depth chart. It seems you and many others have forgotten McVays message. He designs the offense around the people he has. As for why he didn’t get more time I have no idea, go ask McVay. Since he was drafted and during the season even this off season McVay has been very complimentary of Josh.

then why did we give up this years 2nd round pick for a WR like Sammy Watkins? McVay said he really wanted him back - but obviously $ talks and we couldn't afford what he was offered....that to me sounds like Reynolds is NOT the main man nor will he be. 

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You are aware that McVay want in charge of any of those drafts right? Hes not even necessarily in charge of these drafts. This is much more of Snead's show than it every has been before, the last two offseason moves make that pretty darn obvious. McVay is the HC, he clearly has a heavy influence but he isnt making the draft picks or the free agent signings.

I wouldnt say a WR isnt an option early in the draft (early is relative since we dont have a 2nd round pick) but I he proved he can do very well with basically the same WR group we currently have. Yes Sammy Watkins' reputation is much higher than Josh Reynolds', but is it crazy to think he could be the other outside weapon and put up? Take away the TDs, what Sammy gave us was 3 catches for 40 yards on average each week. And if those 8-10 TDs are spread among Reynolds, Everett, and then Kupp... I think that is a pretty likely scenario

everyone knows (McVay also stated MANY times over) lots of what Sammy did went unnoticed and many teams stacked up against him due to the fact of his abilities. If Reynolds was capable of doing the same stuff then clearly we would have seen more than just a handful of targets ALL season long 

6 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Because the two veterans you list were aging and approaching free agency. Our oldest WR is Woods and he just signed. Comparison isn’t even close. Plus did he have that much input on the draft or was it Jay Gruden?

so when all of you make the Jordan Reed comparison that many of you relate to McVay - isn't that the same thing too? I'm seeing a trend of hypocrisy in here

37 minutes ago, Car_Ramrod said:

Why would we draft a WR With one of our first 3 picks when we have no idea who our 2 starting MLBs, NT and edge rusher opposite of Barwin will be? We had a top 3 offense last year. 

FWIW, Gurley led the team in receptions last season followed by Kupp.  Watkins had 39 catches and disappeared in a lot of games. It won’t be that hard for Reynolds to replace that in all honesty (The tds certainly will). Drafting a wr in the first couple rounds makes 0 sense when we have more pressing needs on defense. 

If we aren't concerned about WR then why are we bringing them in for visits? Pettis would be in the 3rd - 4th round range? 

Just now, RamPackFan said:

If Reynolds was capable of doing the same stuff then clearly we would have seen more than just a handful of targets ALL season long 

I have said many many times. I am not saying Josh Reynolds is Sammy Watkins when it comes to raw ability, but I do think he could definitely be the same Receiver that Sammy was in this system.  Then "things that Sammy did that went unnoticed" is alot of coach speak to keep Sammy happy. Sure some of that is true, but alot of it was Sammy quitting on clear out routes, not knowing what the plays were (Goff & Woods had to line him up pretty often) and yes also pulling some extra coverage his way.

And to start the year, Reynolds wouldnt pull the same respect, but also we will have another year wiser for Kupp & Woods, plus adding in the TE aspect to this offense. So if Reynolds is in that Sammy role from last year, and in the first 6 weeks, he has 20 catches for like 350 yards with 5 TDs because he is the one getting the favorable lone coverage on the outside (becomes the fantasy darling) which then pulls more coverage his way and evens out the offense?

Cooper is still a nice piece, Tavon is going to be on this roster and has an elite skill, and sure we can upgrade over Mike Thomas, but we are talking about a 6th WR that will likely not really ever see the field. Sure more depth is always good, but this Offense does not need a superstar weapon.

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I have said many many times. I am not saying Josh Reynolds is Sammy Watkins when it comes to raw ability, but I do think he could definitely be the same Receiver that Sammy was in this system.  Then "things that Sammy did that went unnoticed" is alot of coach speak to keep Sammy happy. Sure some of that is true, but alot of it was Sammy quitting on clear out routes, not knowing what the plays were (Goff & Woods had to line him up pretty often) and yes also pulling some extra coverage his way.

And to start the year, Reynolds wouldnt pull the same respect, but also we will have another year wiser for Kupp & Woods, plus adding in the TE aspect to this offense. So if Reynolds is in that Sammy role from last year, and in the first 6 weeks, he has 20 catches for like 350 yards with 5 TDs because he is the one getting the favorable lone coverage on the outside (becomes the fantasy darling) which then pulls more coverage his way and evens out the offense?

Cooper is still a nice piece, Tavon is going to be on this roster and has an elite skill, and sure we can upgrade over Mike Thomas, but we are talking about a 6th WR that will likely not really ever see the field. Sure more depth is always good, but this Offense does not need a superstar weapon.

-even after not doing his job right and "quitting" on routes he still did his job better than Reynolds is what you're saying? I'm not saying Sammy is at an ELITE #1 WR level either, but we could still sure do better than that....and wouldn't it be nice to IMPROVE our offense vs leaving it as is or maybe a step worse (depending on Reynolds' fate)?

-We've been WAITING forever for Tavon - I'm not gonna keep kicking that same can down the road nor am I holding my breath on that one....may as well count him out at this point until he proves to be a "WR" in the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

If we aren't concerned about WR then why are we bringing them in for visits? Pettis would be in the 3rd - 4th round range? 

I feel like you think this is US against YOU for some reason. Its not, but you are taking quite a hardline stance that we WILL be taking a wideout.

We have no idea what is happening at #23 or especially a later pick. Who would have guessed we trade down with Zay Jones or especially Forrest Lamp on the board for us last year?

And I would caution you on your "source" of that so called isit list there. I can also guarentee you that we have talked to 5x or even 10x more prospects (even outside the combine) so one possible UDFA and a middle round guy does not make me think we are for sure taking a WR at any point

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

I feel like you think this is US against YOU for some reason. Its not, but you are taking quite a hardline stance that we WILL be taking a wideout.

We have no idea what is happening at #23 or especially a later pick. Who would have guessed we trade down with Zay Jones or especially Forrest Lamp on the board for us last year?

And I would caution you on your "source" of that so called isit list there. I can also guarentee you that we have talked to 5x or even 10x more prospects (even outside the combine) so one possible UDFA and a middle round guy does not make me think we are for sure taking a WR at any point

it probably sounds that way...nah, not taking it personal...and I'm also not saying we are for sure taking a WR with our 1st pick...but I betchya if Ridley is sitting there at #23 it could be a possibility or even Courtland Sutton, perhaps. I think we go defense with our 1st pick then WR with one of the next two (3rd or early 4th) - just as I stated before ( 1 out of our first 3 picks)

1 hour ago, RamPackFan said:

ok, are you willing to put $ on that then? I say McVay drafts an "unneeded" WR within the 1st 3 picks. 

If Josh Reynols is so special then why hardly ANY playing time last year? answer me that one? 

Because with what Tavon was being paid, they had to at least try and work him in there - so Reynolds was 1) lower on the pecking order than at least 4 guys (Woods, Kupp, Watkins, Tavon) and 2) was a rookie - and, again, rookie receivers take time to acclimate to the league unless they're Mike Evans/OBJ special type of athletes; even someone like Michael Thomas (Saints), who was far less challenged on his depth chart as a rookie, didn't really breakout until late-October.

I mean, honestly, I don't mean to be rude, but that's kind of a ridiculous question.  "Why didn't a 4th round pick WR see more playing time?"  I'm not trying to say that they're comparable players, but for crying out loud, Antonio Brown (also drafted in the 4th round and fairly well-buried on the depth chart he came into) only posted 16 receptions for 167 yards in 10 games in the regular season as a rookie... and that was with 4 receptions for 52 yards coming in the final week of the season.  Reynolds wasn't handling any kind of return duties and we all know how strict and competitive Coach Bones is with the special teams spots and who gets those gunner spots.

31 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

-even after not doing his job right and "quitting" on routes he still did his job better than Reynolds is what you're saying? I'm not saying Sammy is at an ELITE #1 WR level either, but we could still sure do better than that....and wouldn't it be nice to IMPROVE our offense vs leaving it as is or maybe a step worse (depending on Reynolds' fate)?

This is just an awful argument. Reynolds was a Rookie Receiver, picked in the middle of the draft. Clearly a project with potential that we didnt exect a single thing from this past season. Thats how drafting players works. If he was ready to be a day 1 impact player, with his measureables, he would have been a 1st round draft pick. Which by the way, thats what Sammy Watkins was. He was the more talented WR, and had the bigger reputation (they just traded future assets for him) he was going to be the guy in that role. Reynolds was the backup, this is a futile argument to have if you cant get pass that. 

Sure lets only improve the best part of our team, I hope you like the Vikings and Eagles running the ball down our throat for the next couple of years. Hows that shiny new WR going to help when he is standing on the sideline for 2/3rds of the game?

31 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

-We've been WAITING forever for Tavon - I'm not gonna keep kicking that same can down the road nor am I holding my breath on that one....may as well count him out at this point until he proves to be a "WR" in the NFL. 

I wasnt saying he was going to be some stud, but he is on this roster, and he is going to be part of this offense for atleast one more year. Deal with it.

Archived