DIVISIONAL ROUND: JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS #3 @ PITTSBURGH STEELERS #2

.Buzz

On 2018-01-07 at 9:34 PM, .Buzz said:

Yeah...think Big Ben will still make some plays though. He's used to that type of weather/environment.

current forecast doesn't show much wind  and 10% POP with 18F as the temp. The weather appears to be decent, field should be good and no wind. The pats game could be quite rainy then getting cold and windy. 

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Further shows why Hackett needs to let Blake sling it on early downs more. Run/run/pass isn't putting Blake in a position to succeed.

I hate that.  Feel like that is completely missing the point of how that balance works.  You run/run/pass, so that when you do come out with a 1st down pass...it's against a run stilted defense and has that element of surprise going for it.  So you get more flattering numbers.  Whereas passing on 3rd down, the numbers are obviously gonna be lower because when we're passing on 3rd down, it's usually because we're backed into obvious passing situations, so that's what you get with Bortles throwing when they expect he's gonna throw.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I love this.  lmao.

I hope we can throw less too.  Run Leonard run.

Unless we see the Blake that played in Seattle of course. But yeah, hopefully we can do things in the run game.

We gotta get Grant in there. He always makes plays. It's so weird how he isn't a part of the offense really at all.

Just now, Tugboat said:

I hate that.  Feel like that is completely missing the point of how that balance works.  You run/run/pass, so that when you do come out with a 1st down pass...it's against a run stilted defense and has that element of surprise going for it.  So you get more flattering numbers.  Whereas passing on 3rd down, the numbers are obviously gonna be lower because when we're passing on 3rd down, it's usually because we're backed into obvious passing situations, so that's what you get with Bortles throwing when they expect he's gonna throw.

Although this is true generally and has at times been the case with Blake earlier this season, he clearly looks much better/more comfortable when he isn't forced to make a play in a 3rd and medium/long and get shots on 1st or 2nd down.

It's just how he is. I've noticed that as well. Especially from midseason on when our run game has fallen off a bit with Fournette's injury. Our run game wasn't always working when he'd get on good stretches. Those stretches usually occurred when Bortles was allowed to pass the ball on earlier downs.

Archived