2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, DocHambone said:

I'm not a Washington guy, but Nelson is not good anymore. Its painful to watch. Cobb is JAG and plays a pretty mitigated value position. Nelson and Cobb are our 3rd and 4th highest paid players. That is a problem, and the lack of talent was evident when Adams went down today. 

GB is going to have to find a way to free up money from Jordy, Randall's contract and looks to add + players who catch the ball this offseason. WR could certainly be in play during round 1-2 even with the major edge, CB deficiencies. 

The problem is that Washington really only does one thing really well, and that's not really the way the Packers like to utilize their WR.  Washington is more of a vertical threat, and not a huge YAC guy which is generally where the Packers prefer to see their WRs have their success.  If you want to take him on Day 3, and hope he can be what we had hoped Trevor Davis would become, go right ahead.  But taking him any earlier than that is just a bad idea.

The Packers need to draft a WR with an eye towards the future.  Eventually, they're going to have move Nelson into the slot as he continues to age.  He's not going to be able to run forever, which is where his route running would help him translate there.  And as I mentioned before, releasing Randall Cobb has more to do with the Packers wanting to be active in FA.

47 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

GB does need more weapons though. They absolutely shouldn't draft WR over OLB early on though but it is a position they need to address. That or TE....or both tbh. I gotta think one of Jordy/Cobb are gone after this yr because neither is worth what they're making.

Another thing GB has to take into account now, sad to say, is Davante's concussion history. They're obviously gonna give him an extension but he's now suffered 3 concussions in a little over a yr.

They may need more weapons, but we've seen Aaron do more with less.  I'm not using a 1st round pick on a WR, plain and simple.  And depending on how the board shapes up, I might not even use a 2nd round pick on one either.

Maybe if we ran the ball things would loosen up a bit

It's shocking how well our line has played when you consider defenses have no need to respect a running play and our own defense puts us behind the 8 ball after the first drive of the game

Anyway. Another defensive filled draft as usual. Add some more guys to disappear into the black hole of this scheme.

The "we'll just outscore them" mentality never ends well. 

25 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

I think the best draft pick we could end up with is 11. We're probably looking at 13-15

Without doing the math, I think the highest we could pick is 7th.  Although, I'd assume SOS would knock us down a few spots.  Last year, the first 7-9 team (Bills) picked 10th with a SOS of .482.  New Orleans was the last 7-9 team and they picked 11th with a SOS of .523.  In 2016, the first 7-9 team (New Orleans) picked 12th with a SOS of .504.  The last 7-9 team (Detroit) picked 16th with a SOS of .535.  In 2015, the first 7-9 team was Minnesota at 11.  The last 7-9 team was New Orleans at 13.  My guess is we're picking in that 12-14 range if we lose out.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The problem is that Washington really only does one thing really well, and that's not really the way the Packers like to utilize their WR.  Washington is more of a vertical threat, and not a huge YAC guy which is generally where the Packers prefer to see their WRs have their success.  If you want to take him on Day 3, and hope he can be what we had hoped Trevor Davis would become, go right ahead.  But taking him any earlier than that is just a bad idea.

The Packers need to draft a WR with an eye towards the future.  Eventually, they're going to have move Nelson into the slot as he continues to age.  He's not going to be able to run forever, which is where his route running would help him translate there.  And as I mentioned before, releasing Randall Cobb has more to do with the Packers wanting to be active in FA.

Just to be clear, I'm not a Washington guy. Nothing about his game screams success at the NFL level where hes playing against high level athletes. 

Also to be clear, Jordy hasn't been able to run since the day he tore his ACL. Right now GB has one boundary reciever that can win 1 on 1, and hes had 3 concussions in the last year+.

There area a lot of interesting day 2 guys that I hope we are in play for.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Without doing the math, I think the highest we could pick is 7th.  Although, I'd assume SOS would knock us down a few spots.  Last year, the first 7-9 team (Bills) picked 10th with a SOS of .482.  New Orleans was the last 7-9 team and they picked 11th with a SOS of .523.  In 2016, the first 7-9 team (New Orleans) picked 12th with a SOS of .504.  The last 7-9 team (Detroit) picked 16th with a SOS of .535.  In 2015, the first 7-9 team was Minnesota at 11.  The last 7-9 team was New Orleans at 13.  My guess is we're picking in that 12-14 range if we lose out.

Yup you're correct. Best would be 7th but thats not counting SOS. Not a chance we catch Denver or Cinncy SOS. So the best possible pick if everything played out would be 9th but yes I think we end up at 12. TB will have to sweep the division haha

Just now, Pugger said:

I heard we'll have 12 picks this coming draft.  I wonder if Ted will use this situation to make a deal and move up or back into the 1st like he did when we picked Clay?

I think it's more likely we end up with 37 picks. 

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

I heard we'll have 12 picks this coming draft.  I wonder if Ted will use this situation to make a deal and move up or back into the 1st like he did when we picked Clay?

Preferably Ted wouldnt be doing any drafting, but assuming he is, we have more than enough picks. This team doesnt need 12 new rookies, it needs 2-3 impact players. I'd use those 12 picks to move up in the earlier rounds if possible. I'd also look at trading some of those picks for a mid-range vet or two who can help this team in 2018. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Preferably Ted wouldnt be doing any drafting, but assuming he is, we have more than enough picks. This team doesnt need 12 new rookies, it needs 2-3 impact players. I'd use those 12 picks to move up in the earlier rounds if possible. I'd also look at trading some of those picks for a mid-range vet or two who can help this team in 2018. 

Ted's contract is up after the 2018 season so I doubt he's going anywhere.  My prayer is Capers gets canned or "retires".

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

Maybe we can make a deal with John Dorsey and the Browns?  I think they are currently set for pick #1 and #4 .. doubt they make both picks.  Dorsey is going to want to add some extra picks to help improve that roster. 

Archived