2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

10 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Agree with your observation.  I really don't care for Landry, I think he'd be a reach at 16.  If Key and Chubb are gone I think the next front seven candidates are Ferrell and Wilkins from Clemson.  Of those two I like Wilkins. He destroyed Miami in the ACCCG.  6'4" 310. He could start inside or DE for us.  Big upgrade over Lowry.  There are actually a few EDGE guys that will be available in the second round.  When you start looking at where we are picking it is kind of no man's land.  Does Derwin James start coming into play?  Not many people have safety as a need, but do you pass on BPA for need? James seems like a future ALL Pro.

I don't think a 34 DE is going to overhaul our pass rush...not to mention, we play primarily with two down lineman and Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark are our two preferred DL.  I'll be a bit upset if we take another DL in the first round.

8 hours ago, cooters22 said:

I don't understand/like the "fit" comment. Dom has to be shown the door. Any new guy coming in should or could run some type of different scheme. So until that happens how do we know if he "fits" our scheme. We have guys on our defense that maybe would be better in a 4-3 defense. Our two inside tackles maybe, Clay I think would. Could Perry be a 4-3 end? 

We're a 3-4 defense until we're not...so until then, we need to look at how players fit into the defense  And quite frankly, I share @ChaRisMa's feeling about questionable fit.  He's not a natural fit as a 34 OLB.  Nick Perry was a really good athlete, and wasn't stiff.  I think there's a bit of stiffness in Ferrell's game.

55 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're a 3-4 defense until we're not...so until then, we need to look at how players fit into the defense  And quite frankly, I share @ChaRisMa's feeling about questionable fit.  He's not a natural fit as a 34 OLB.  Nick Perry was a really good athlete, and wasn't stiff.  I think there's a bit of stiffness in Ferrell's game.

Eh Perry is pretty stiff, his Combine agility numbers are terrible. He's an explosive, straight line athlete.

At this point the fit is "can the guy rush the passer?" If yes, he's a fit.

Just to play devil's advocate here, if we don't re-sign Burnett, I wouldn't be upset if we took that top safety prospect if he fell.  If there's a pass rusher with any value whatsoever at the spot we pick, I'm picking pass rusher 100/100 times, but I'm absolutely not reaching on a prospect this year.  This will likely be the last year in a long time we end up with a top 16 pick, so we need a top 16 talent no matter what position they play (except for receiver or guard).  I do not want to trade down for more picks unless we use those more picks to get right back into the first round. 

This is the most crucial draft we will have for the remainder of Aaron's time here.  Not to put undue pressure on whomever we draft, but, if you're reading this unnamed draft prospect once you get drafted, we need you. 

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think a 34 DE is going to overhaul our pass rush...not to mention, we play primarily with two down lineman and Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark are our two preferred DL.  I'll be a bit upset if we take another DL in the first round.

I guess I think that that what we're doing isn't working.  Two DL just aren't getting the push we need.  I don't want to draft for a defensive mind set that is failing.  I don't want to reach for Landry or Ferrell.  Right now, at 16, Wilkins and Derwin James seem to fit the draft slot better and both would be upgrades on their position.  Drafting a CB at 16 might not even be a starter.  As unpopular as it is, if we stay at 16 the BPA fits a need- Quenten Nelson OG.

13 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I guess I think that that what we're doing isn't working.  Two DL just aren't getting the push we need.  I don't want to draft for a defensive mind set that is failing.  I don't want to reach for Landry or Ferrell.  Right now, at 16, Wilkins and Derwin James seem to fit the draft slot better and both would be upgrades on their position.  Drafting a CB at 16 might not even be a starter.  As unpopular as it is, if we stay at 16 the BPA fits a need- Quenten Nelson OG.

They way we run the nickle and dime is essentially the same as a 4-3 except our edge guys don't put their hand on the ground. They virtually always rush 4.

Also, I consider the #3 cb and wr "starters" so if they draft one in the first, he could easily be a key guy.

And just no on the G. Unless he's a generational talent, it's bad value, and probably then too.

I know speculation is that TT will be gone in the next year or two anyways. But if we come out of our best draft position in a decade with less than 2 guys that can contribute from day one, I will be upset and will be pounding the table for TT to get out. Same way we have to capitalize on advancing in the playoffs, we have to approach the draft the same way. We need immediate production from our early rounders this year. No cute projects.

37 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

I know speculation is that TT will be gone in the next year or two anyways. But if we come out of our best draft position in a decade with less than 2 guys that can contribute from day one, I will be upset and will be pounding the table for TT to get out. Same way we have to capitalize on advancing in the playoffs, we have to approach the draft the same way. We need immediate production from our early rounders this year. No cute projects.

Im starting to get on the trade up for Chubbs wagon more and more. Immediate impact player.

Just now, Kenrik said:

Im starting to get on the trade up for Chubbs wagon more and more. Immediate impact player.

I would love that. We have the ammo to move into the top 10 realistically this year. We just have to guarantee that we get a playmaker on defense

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Just to play devil's advocate here, if we don't re-sign Burnett, I wouldn't be upset if we took that top safety prospect if he fell.  If there's a pass rusher with any value whatsoever at the spot we pick, I'm picking pass rusher 100/100 times, but I'm absolutely not reaching on a prospect this year.  This will likely be the last year in a long time we end up with a top 16 pick, so we need a top 16 talent no matter what position they play (except for receiver or guard).  I do not want to trade down for more picks unless we use those more picks to get right back into the first round. 

This is the most crucial draft we will have for the remainder of Aaron's time here.  Not to put undue pressure on whomever we draft, but, if you're reading this unnamed draft prospect once you get drafted, we need you. 

Admittedly, I haven't really dug into the safeties yet but is there really an impact safety?  I mean, you've got Minkah Fitzpatrick (not sure where I fall on the is he a CB or S discussion) and Derwin James (up and down year), but I'm not sure what's behind that.

3 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

The problem is the Packers clearly are a nickel-based defense.  Does that change under a new DC?  Possibly, but it's not like our pass rush was an issue because of a two-man front before this year.  That's why I think the whole talk about switching defensive formation is crazy.  We've seen great production out of our OLBs, and it had little to do with our DL.  In fact, I'd argue our DL played worse in 2016 than it did in 2017 sans Mike Daniels.  Kenny Clark was much improved, Dean Lowry was better, and our depth was better there as well.  Right now, Mike Daniels probably still isn't 100% from that hamstring injury, but he's still better than most.  I just don't like drafting a non-rush DL, which is what I'm afraid of.  And if you're drafting a rush DL, that means you're either taking Kenny Clark or Mike Daniels off the field.

I think people need to go and watch more of Harold Landry.  He's probably the "cleanest" fit into a 34 defense.  He's got that great first step, and he's incredibly flexible.  There's some Leonard Floyd to his game, and i know some have advocated that they want a Floyd-like athlete at OLB.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

They way we run the nickle and dime is essentially the same as a 4-3 except our edge guys don't put their hand on the ground. They virtually always rush 4.

Also, I consider the #3 cb and wr "starters" so if they draft one in the first, he could easily be a key guy.

And just no on the G. Unless he's a generational talent, it's bad value, and probably then too.

Pretty much.  I know I've said this before, but I pretty much call our defense a 42 defense.  The only difference is our two EDGE play up instead of with their hand in the ground.

Agreed on teh 2nd part, and I'm leaning towards yes on the 3rd part.

1 hour ago, packerrfan74 said:

This could be a HUGE draft for the Packers.  They're going to be armed with their best draft pick since 2009, when they were selecting 9th overall.  On top of that, they're projected to earn a 3rd round compensatory pick for the loss of T.J. Lang.  They're also projected to earn three more 5th round picks from the losses of Micah Hyde, JC Tretter, and Jared Cook.  That's as many as 9 selections in the first 200 picks.  The Packers have a chance to have an impact draft.

1 hour ago, Kenrik said:

Not going to happen.  Going to cost way too much to move up to get him.  We're talking about throwing our 2nd round pick and probably more in order to get him.  That's not something the Packers are going to do.

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not going to happen.  Going to cost way too much to move up to get him.  We're talking about throwing our 2nd round pick and probably more in order to get him.  That's not something the Packers are going to do.

a more likely scenario is that Key falls to us because of the off field baggage. 

Archived