2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

2 hours ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I'm wondering what game he looked slow in? He looks like he has good burst and he plays physical as hell. Watch the North Texas tape.

He does have a nice get off but a lot of his snaps he was getting a running start from ILB. They do play him all over the place so he is versatile. he also goes through the man on almost every play, I think he ripped his man once the rest he was wither not blocked or he went through them. I didn't see him blow by his man around the corner mainly because he never tried. maybe that why I felt that way watching that game. Is he that powerful or was it North Texas? I will hold off on my final evaluation until after the all-star games.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

To be that small you need Russell Wilson's/Brees' arm. They don't have it. 

I actually think he has a good arm. Not as good as Brees but maybe stronger than Wilson. Better scrambler than Brees but not as good as Wilson. Now, neither of them were 1st round picks. i feel like he could be a nice pro QB. HOF... no but a solid QB.

No harder position to project than QB, but safe to say I would never want to place my bet on Mayfield. I thought Manziel was a no brainer to pass on. Yea yea hindsight. Deal with it. Just a whole lot of guys with better talent and character that didn't work out, why hitch your wagon to a question mark at all ? Off the top of my head, can't think of a single guy that turned out to be a great QB with questionable character or leadership skills. If you can't handle yourself, how are you going to handle being the leader of a professional football team ?

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

No harder position to project than QB, but safe to say I would never want to place my bet on Mayfield. I thought Manziel was a no brainer to pass on. Yea yea hindsight. Deal with it. Just a whole lot of guys with better talent and character that didn't work out, why hitch your wagon to a question mark at all ? Off the top of my head, can't think of a single guy that turned out to be a great QB with questionable character or leadership skills. If you can't handle yourself, how are you going to handle being the leader of a professional football team ?

this. I saw him on the sidelines and knew I didn't even care what kind of player he is/was. He's not going to be a respectable NFL QB from what I've seen. No way I'd take a chance.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

this. I saw him on the sidelines and knew I didn't even care what kind of player he is/was. He's not going to be a respectable NFL QB from what I've seen. No way I'd take a chance.

If you saw some particular clips of Rodgers or Brady on the sidelines, you might have said the same thing.  Basing a player evaluation off of a few clips of a side line interaction seems odd.   You are certainly entitled to your view on him as a prospect though.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If you saw some particular clips of Rodgers or Brady on the sidelines, you might have said the same thing.  Basing a player evaluation off of a few clips of a side line interaction seems odd.   You are certainly entitled to your view on him as a prospect though.

apples and grenades

Rodgers and Brady have never pretended to masturbate at the other team in front of 70,000 people (live) and millions? on tv. This is sort of what separates them (and 99% of the population) from Baker Mayfield.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Pretty sure Rogers or Brady never stood at mid-field and grabbed themselves in a mocking gesture toward the opposing sideline. I could spend an hour explaining how that translates to what kind of person you are inside and how you may handle future adversity, but you probably don't want to hear it

I don't know what kind of person he is, I like him as a football player, he is entertaining. I will say, I believe it was at the Heisman ceremony, he was asked about his actions and he said "I'm just a 22 year old kid and I made a mistake." No, at 22 you are a man, at 12 you are a kid. If you want to make a real apology, then do it, don't hide behind this "I'm a kid" crap. Just didn't sit well with me.

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I agree it is not a good look.  Will say that in the heat of a game after the previous things that went down in that game, I am not surprised that was the response.  

But it was the response

And there are 10,000 QB's that came before him that no doubt faced the same or worse adversity at some point and managed to not act like a 3 year old. How the hell is he gonna handle the pressures of an NFL season if he can't handle a non-handshake ? The answer is he won't be able to. 

1 hour ago, MNPackfan32 said:

He's good. Red flags? I have no clue, the fans normally don't find out the details of everything like the NFL does. The guy got arrested for alcohol, not a good look, but not the end of the world. Real question is, did he learn anything from it? Also, I'm not sure if Manziel is actually bad, he didn't work out in Cleveland, but that doesn't mean he's not talented enough to play in the NFL.

Very much this.  Manziel learned absolutely NOTHING from his mistakes.  Everyone is quick to assume that Mayfield is Manziel.

54 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Very much this.  Manziel learned absolutely NOTHING from his mistakes.  Everyone is quick to assume that Mayfield is Manziel.

Was listening to a local sports radio and they had some draft guy in - I picked up the segment halfway and they were talking about this exact comparison. From what I got out of what he said said there are 2 major differences: (1) Manziel always seemed far less apologetic and remorseful about his mistakes (2) Manziels shtick got old really quick amongst his own teammates - while Mayfields guys would run through a brick wall for him because he’s a great leader.

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Isn’t Tom Brady kind of a jag off too? All in all though, some... many guys mature once they get in the NFL. 

Archived