2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I'm not passing on any top 40 quality DB, WR or TE to take another rusher though.

I'd pass on a top 40 DB in favor of a top 50 pass rusher, but that's just because I'm confident in King/House/Randall/Rollins/Pipkins.  Wouldn't pass on a top 40 WR or TE either, though. 

22 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Am I the only one that wants to double dip on pass rushers in 1/2?

I wouldn't be opposed to it ... we have to improve the pass rush or the defense will more than likely be trash.  If we could land a good corner in free agency it really would allow us to do the double dip.  If we can't get that done in free agency we will probably end up going Edge/CB 1-2.

8 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'd pass on a top 40 DB in favor of a top 50 pass rusher, but that's just because I'm confident in King/House/Randall/Rollins/Pipkins.  Wouldn't pass on a top 40 WR or TE either, though. 

We had 37 sacks this year, the 2009 Pettine defense that has posted the best points per drive number since that year had 30. Perry, Matthews, 1st rounder, June 1st guy, Biegel/Fackrell is way more talent than he had that year.

All of the guys you listed missed at least 3 games. That group is not good enough going into 2018.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We had 37 sacks this year, the 2009 Pettine defense that has posted the best points per drive number since that year had 30. Perry, Matthews, 1st rounder, June 1st guy, Biegel/Fackrell is way more talent than he had that year.

All of the guys you listed missed at least 3 games. That group is not good enough going into 2018.

Neither group is good enough. We need to land a FA CB (there are several available) plus resign House and draft 2 Edge guys with our first 4 picks. 

Our health at pass rush hasn't been too stellar either, though.  I do not want Fackrell to be a pass rusher next year, and I don't think he will be.  Not saying I think he gets cut, but I don't think he's gonna be a pass rusher. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Our health at pass rush hasn't been too stellar either, though.  I do not want Fackrell to be a pass rusher next year, and I don't think he will be.  Not saying I think he gets cut, but I don't think he's gonna be a pass rusher. 

He'd be the 5th rusher in that scenario, so he'd be seeing the equal amount of snaps to Chris Odom this year.

The Jags are about the only team that go more than 4 deep with pass rushers. When they are healthy you're going to want Perry, Matthews and hopefully our top pick out there. We need another vet to pick up Brooks snaps. Fackrell/Biegel/Gilbert are more than fine to battle for the final spots.

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Fackrell is fine as your No. 5 or 6 guy who can swing inside if needed. Same thing with guys like Rollins amd Hawkins at CB. They are No. 5/6 guys, not No. 3 or 4 guys. 

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not making a call on either one until I see the numbers, I'm just telling you the thought process. And I disagree that elite speed guys can't run around NFL tackles. Von Miller does it. 

Von is the master of speed to power. Need that move for the speed to continue to work. Key does not have a speed to power move.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Neither group is good enough. We need to land a FA CB (there are several available) plus resign House and draft 2 Edge guys with our first 4 picks. 

Why would House want to return to be a 4th CB?

Give me a June 1st vet over a 2nd rookie rusher. Depending on what we do in FA, after we get that rusher we need to switch our focus to offense.

He'd be the 5th rusher in that scenario, so he'd be seeing the equal amount of snaps to Chris Odom this year.

You make valid points, but I still want to double dip.  Not so much considering depth position or pass rush rotation, more just to have better odds at hitting on one of them. 

It's easier to find an effective veteran corner than it is to find an effective veteran pass rusher, especially when you're talking about non-starting roles. 

Just now, MNPackfan32 said:

Von is the master of speed to power. Need that move for the speed to continue to work. Key does not have a speed to power move.

Pass rush moves are totally irrelevant to me. The good pass rushers in the league have the things you can't teach. 

A bull rush is about the easiest pass rush move to learn. Most of these guys couldn't be stopped in college, why use an array of moves when what you're doing continuously works?

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You make valid points, but I still want to double dip.  Not so much considering depth position or pass rush rotation, more just to have better odds at hitting on one of them. 

It's easier to find an effective veteran corner than it is to find an effective veteran pass rusher, especially when you're talking about non-starting roles. 

Again like I said above, that's another year of ignoring the skills with the top 2 picks. I'll take the June 1st cut and look to add some youthful pass catchers in rounds 2/3.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Why would House want to return to be a 4th CB?

Give me a June 1st vet over a 2nd rookie rusher. Depending on what we do in FA, after we get that rusher we need to switch our focus to offense.

Because he's not a No. 2 corner. If he doesnt want the role, cya later. There are 10+ Davon Houses out there. Heck, I'd bring back Tramon who outplayed House this past year and likes Pettine. 

I wouldn't be opposed to a vet edge but I think the FA crop is much weaker than CB. I rather use FA to secure the CB position, and possibly look at a vet SS if Burnett wants too much money.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Again like I said above, that's another year of ignoring the skills with the top 2 picks. I'll take the June 1st cut and look to add some youthful pass catchers in rounds 2/3.

Personally, assuming the board isnt drastically against it, I'd love our first 4 picks (1st, 2nd and two 3rds) to be a combo of 2 edge guys, a WR and TE. We have enough young guys already in our secondary. Look to adds vets at CB and safety if needed. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Personally, assuming the board isnt drastically against it, I'd love our first 4 picks (1st, 2nd and two 3rds) to be a combo of 2 edge guys, a WR and TE. We have enough young guys already in our secondary. Look to adds vets at CB and safety if needed. 

If you think you can pull a middle of the road CB#2 in Free Agency, this is the best plan. 

Archived