Offseason news/rumours

KimuraGod

13 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Winters is definitely gonna be on the roster but I'm coming more from the mind set of finding his replacement/competition and dumping him next year

I could see a 5th round developmental guy or Dozier pushing him.  Doubt we use a premium resource on RG competition.  I'm not as down on him as some.  I think injuries are more of a concern then play on the field.

I could see us target a OT rather than a OG in the draft. Reason being is Shell isn’t a proven every game starter quite yet. And Beachum is cuttable after this season. So an OT if Shell works out can play LT and if Shell doesn’t he can play RT. I think we target a OC and OG in FA. If a great prospect falls to us get him. 

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I could see us target a OT rather than a OG in the draft. Reason being is Shell isn’t a proven every game starter quite yet. And Beachum is cuttable after this season. So an OT if Shell works out can play LT and if Shell doesn’t he can play RT. I think we target a OC and OG in FA. If a great prospect falls to us get him. 

Yes.  I could move Shell to inside.  He has some experience there.

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Can't say one way or the other on Shell yet.  Flashed at times but was banged up a bit.  He'll get another chance this year to lock it down.  OT in round 2 is definitely an option though as we need insurance at LT this year.  Good thing is there could be a few solid options.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Can't say one way or the other on Shell yet.  Flashed at times but was banged up a bit.  He'll get another chance this year to lock it down.  OT in round 2 is definitely an option though as we need insurance at LT this year.  Good thing is there could be a few solid options.

I think Jets will take OT when it becomes availability. Not hurry up and snare OT.   

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

Random, but I have a bad feeling that Darnold will go one, Allen will go two, Mac will stay put, the Phins will trade up to 4 to grab Rosen, Elway will grab Mayfield, and Mac will sit their at 6 and pass on Lamar.

I would really be shocked if we decide to sit at 6 if we miss on Cousins. Macc has wanted to move up in the past and he went out this past season to make sure we'd have the most ammo to do so. I do think the Colts are looking to trade with either the Broncos or Jets because realistically the teams picking at #4 and #5 won't take Chubb, who I believe the Colts love. It would be like the 49ers situation last year where you move down and still get the guy you want. It may even cost you less to move up if the Colts are sky high on Chubb and don't want to move lower than that in fear of losing him. You described the perfect storm of nightmare scenario though.

7 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I would really be shocked if we decide to sit at 6 if we miss on Cousins. Macc has wanted to move up in the past and he went out this past season to make sure we'd have the most ammo to do so. I do think the Colts are looking to trade with either the Broncos or Jets because realistically the teams picking at #4 and #5 won't take Chubb, who I believe the Colts love. It would be like the 49ers situation last year where you move down and still get the guy you want. It may even cost you less to move up if the Colts are sky high on Chubb and don't want to move lower than that in fear of losing him. You described the perfect storm of nightmare scenario though.

Don't worry, Joel Stave will be the savior.

Agreed.  Jets have to trade up to get their qb. Forget playing the value game.

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Don't worry, Joel Stave will be the savior.

Agreed.  Jets have to trade up to get their qb. Forget playing the value game.

Yea idc about the value, you have the resources to move up, pull the trigger and get your guy if he is at 3

29 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Mac has wanted to move up, but he's also never willing to overpay, which you usually have to do in these situations.

15 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Mac has wanted to move up, but he's also never willing to overpay, which you usually have to do in these situations.

I agree. I don’t think we even make an attempt to move up unless he falls in love with a prospect and the price is right. Therefor I see a small chance of us moving up. And I’m actually for staying at 6. None of these QBs scream give up more valuable picks for me imo.

16 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I think there are legit factors that prevented that though. I don't think the factors that have been issues in the past are factors this year. Just my opinion but in 2015 we had a young Geno that had never really gotten a fair shake, Bucs and Titans weren't looking to trade out; for me that is fine.

2016 in terms of FA there really wasn't anyone of note, with an aging roster and a QB that had come off the best season in Jets history there were really only 2 options. Move up in the draft or resign Fitz. If the rumors were true we wanted the #1 pick because we didn't want to risk moving up to #2 and not get our guy. That seems fair to me, now lets look at the compensation given up:

For #1 the Rams gave up - #15 (2016), two seconds (2016), a third (2016), 1st rounder (2017), and a third (2017) - safe to say we didn't remotely have enough to make that jump.

For #2 the Eagles gave up - Byron Maxwell, Kiko Alonso, and the #13 pick to move up to #8 then they gave up - #8, #77, #100, 2017 1st, and 2018 2nd - Keep in mind we were 7 picks behind the Eagles so we would have needed to give up even more than that.

Our next option in 2016 was Paxton Lynch, could you imagine the **** storm if we had blown a 1st instead of a late 2nd on a QB?? 

2017 with Watson and Mahomes, sure we could have taken 1 of them but I don't think either was considered a franchise guy, this seems to be confirmed by the fact that numerous QB needy teams passed on them. The teams that traded up to get them were teams with loaded rosters that could absorb losing a future pick, I don't think our roster was in a place to make that gamble for a player that who we didn't consider a franchise guy at #6 especially since we had a mystery in Hack sitting on the bench already. It made more sense to try and help Hack by taking the BPA and giving him a fair shake at the starting job.

Fast forward to 2018, we now know that Hack is not the QB we had hoped he'd be, I think we keep him in hopes he develops into trade bait or possibly a backup QB with upside. We have a top 6 pick as opposed to the #20 pick like back in 2016 and we have extra high round picks to move up. We also have a better idea of the weaknesses of this roster, with the seasons prior to 2017 we had aging vets or unproven young guys. The final piece for me is that Macc and Bowles are very much on the hot seat regardless of the extensions (Rex was fired after his 2 year extension), I think Macc has his back against the wall in terms of finding a QB. For me 2018 looks like we are primed to either get Kirk Cousins or trade up to get our guy.

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree. I don’t think we even make an attempt to move up unless he falls in love with a prospect and the price is right. Therefor I see a small chance of us moving up. And I’m actually for staying at 6. None of these QBs scream give up more valuable picks for me imo.

There is no way we should entertain trading up or even taking a QB at 6 if we don't love them. If we take a QB just because he is the best one left I think that is a recipe for disaster. If we are fine with any of the top 4 QBs then yea I could live with sitting at #6 I just think if you are leaning a certain way on a QB and you have the ability to get him then throw out value and go up and get the guy.

12 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

There is no way we should entertain trading up or even taking a QB at 6 if we don't love them. If we take a QB just because he is the best one left I think that is a recipe for disaster. If we are fine with any of the top 4 QBs then yea I could live with sitting at #6 I just think if you are leaning a certain way on a QB and you have the ability to get him then throw out value and go up and get the guy.

I agree with you on needing to trade up but Macc seems like the type of guy that doesn't move away from what he thinks is fair value. He also seems pretty tight with contract signings as well. I don't see Macc being the type of GM that would make a big offer to move up. If we move up, it'll be at a fair price. Otherwise, we are likely staying at 6. 

Archived