2018 Free Agency

turtle28

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The only big loss so far is Kirk and trading away Fuller. You can’t possibly be standing on the table for the others.

I'm a bit surprised you are so sanguine about Murphy walking away since you led the very lonely "Trent Murphy Appreciation Fan Club."

12 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

We also lost a 3rd round pick, which could have potentially been another starter.  We lost our starting #2 CB in Breeland.  Fuller, Murphy, and Long were all key backups.

Long was a starter. Whether he should have been is another question.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

There’s your Ryan Grant replacement and we also have Harris, Robert Davis and the draft to add a WR to compete for the #4 through 6 spots at wr.

1. Except he didn't replace Grant last year when both were here. He didn't do anything.
  2. Given the loss of the 3rd round pick, do we want to spend a pick for a #4 WR (barring a value grab) when we have needs elsewhere (LG, NT, ILB, RB)?

I mean, if we are going to discuss why we don’t have 10 or more players on our roster anymore from the 2010-2013 drafts shouldn’t we look to who was selecting our players from 2010-2013 as a key reason why. That’s 4 drafts right there where we got a few players out of it but not many are on this team from those 4 drafts and Allen wasn’t picking the players.

11 hours ago, Eric said:

Got to give some love to McKinnon and Hyde. Honorable mentions to Murray and Gore. Also let's not forget Crowell. Thanks for the effort in getting signed to push Ronald Jones to us in the 2nd round. If he's on the board and we pass I'm probably busting the ol tv with a remote. I want him badly on this team

If we've filled 2 of 3 in the list of "DL/NT, LG, and ILB" (either by free agency or with the 1st round pick) by the time our second round choice comes up, then absolutely take a RB. If we haven't, don't unless the value proposition is so much better for Jones (or whichever RB).

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think we’re going to be cutting Davis and to my knowledge Ebron is a Jordan Reed type TE, he’s not a good blocker either. I don’t think us signing Ebron would be upgrading our run blocking.

Odd too, because back in the SF days, Vernon Davis was regarded as a good blocker. 

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Building through the draft means we’ll sign Cousins future long term replacement at some point in this year’s draft of next,

You don't trade for a QB and give him a four year extension that is 75%+ guaranteed if you are drafting his replacement in 2018 or 2019.

we drafted Moreau to replace Breeland and we drafted Anderson to replace Murphy. 

While Moreau seems viable as a replacement for Breeland, you're putting a lot of faith in Anderson. Faith that the coaching staff didn't seem to reflect last year with how little Anderson played. Only linebackers who got less defensive snaps than Anderson (193; special teams = 146) last year: Will Compton (150; ST = 125), Josh Harvey-Clemons (93; ST = 206), Pete Robinson (27; ST = 95), and Chris Carter (2; ST = 330).

So as of right now, Anderson is on a trajectory to replace Compton, not Murphy. Maybe that changes, especially with Smith entering his contract year.

Source: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2017-snap-counts.htm

Holsey could be Fuller’s replacement either this year or in the future, 

"Could be" is tightrope narrow. Asking a 7th rounder to replace a guy who likely would have been a 1st rounder had he (like Moreau) not gotten hurt is asking a lot.

our top 3 OLBs are drafted players

Excluding roster fluff right now, we only have three OLBs.

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

half of our starting DBs will be drafted players this year

Due to letting others walk or trading them away. And that assumes Su'a Cravens actually makes the final roster.

and most of our the top back ups on our defense will be drafted players too just like last year.

That's partially due to the quality of the free agents they brought in last year and being forced to rely on UDFAs.

So, yes, they've been building through the draft. But now the roster is thin at multiple positions with gaping holes at two of them (LG, ILB). They gave away a draft pick which makes it harder to build through the draft.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, yes, they've been building through the draft. But now the roster is thin at multiple positions with gaping holes at two of them (LG, ILB). They gave away a draft pick which makes it harder to build through the draft.

I thought I read some comments here recently about either Clemmings +/or Kouandijo looking like he/they were showing some improvement at some point. 

Anyone have thoughts on this? That maybe one has a chance to further improve into an adequate LG starter? 

Just now, oldman9er said:

I thought I read some comments here recently about either Clemmings +/or Kouandijo looking like he/they were showing some improvement at some point. 

Anyone have thoughts on this? That maybe one has a chance to further improve into an adequate LG starter? 

Clemmings?! Dear lord, no!

Kouandjio never beat out Lauvao in three years, no matter how much we wished to see Lauvao go away. He only got to start because of injuries.

So neither is a promising option in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Clemmings?! Dear lord, no!

Kouandjio never beat out Lauvao in three years, no matter how much we wished to see Lauvao go away. He only got to start because of injuries.

So neither is a promising option in my opinion.

Okay, thanks for the info.

:( 

5 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Any interest in Crabtree ? Played with Smith and had good hands .

Too much money for a WR that no longer would likely have a strong role. Overcrowding better fits of the top trio with an old, possession WR making too much money. Nah... give me JMac for cheaper, if we go the older vet for WR3 snaps/depth. 

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I mean, if we are going to discuss why we don’t have 10 or more players on our roster anymore from the 2010-2013 drafts shouldn’t we look to who was selecting our players from 2010-2013 as a key reason why. That’s 4 drafts right there where we got a few players out of it but not many are on this team from those 4 drafts and Allen wasn’t picking the players.

Okay, then let's focus on 2014-2016.

Current number of players on the roster from the 2014 draft class: 1 of 8 (Morgan Moses (56 GP, 49 GS)); 1 starter
Current number of players on the roster from the 2015 draft class: 5 of 10 (Brandon Scherff (46 GP, 46 GS), Preston Smith (48 GP, 34 GS), Jamison Crowder (47 GP, 21 GS), Arie Kouandjio (16 GP, 8 GS), Martrell Spaight (30 GP, 7 GS)); 2 starters, 1 major role player, 2 backups
Current number of players on the roster from the 2016 draft class: 3 of 7 (Josh Doctson (18 GP, 14 GS), Su'a Cravens (11 GP, 3 GS), Matt Ioannidis (24 GP, 10 GS)); 2 starters, 1 backup

We've got six(*) starters and three backups from 25 picks. If we're building through the draft, the heart of our team should be in these classes especially considering how little we got out of the 2010-2013 classes.

(*) I'm going to treat Crowder as a starter. Doctson starting to date is more due his draft position and the lack of other options in our receiving corps.

Archived