2018 Free Agency

turtle28

8 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I was also coming here to throw in that I think that would be a great (if contract is around 6M for 1 or 2 Year deal) addition to this offense.

I think a signing like Crabtree is rather unlikely.  Doctson is going to start.  Crowder's the slot guy, and we didn't give Paul Richardson the contract we did to be our #4 WR, he's going to start.  That means any addition we bring in will have to accept a #4 role.  

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Just saw that ...

You're telling me that the Redskins couldn't have offered something better? New England's 6th is pick 205, Cleveland's 7th is pick 219. Basically the Patriots just swiped Devin McCourty for a 6th round compensatory pick.

Moron. Always Moron.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Just saw that ...

You're telling me that the Redskins couldn't have offered something better? New England's 6th is pick 205, Cleveland's 7th is pick 219. Basically the Patriots just swiped Devin McCourty for a 6th round compensatory pick.

Moron. Always Moron.

Browns probably did McCourty a solid.  He probably wouldn't have gotten the same contract on the open market, he gets traded to the Pats, keeps his contract and gets to go to a good familiar team.  

Treating players right like this helps you in the long run in free agency.  Our front office wouldn't know anything about that.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Browns probably did McCourty a solid.  He probably wouldn't have gotten the same contract on the open market, he gets traded to the Pats, keeps his contract and gets to go to a good familiar team.  

Treating players right like this helps you in the long run in free agency.  Our front office wouldn't know anything about that.  

Wait, are you telling me that you think that agents are steering their clients away from Washington because of the way Moron has treated our players?! Say it ain't so!

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Okay, then let's focus on 2014-2016.

Current number of players on the roster from the 2014 draft class: 1 of 8 (Morgan Moses (56 GP, 49 GS)); 1 starter
Current number of players on the roster from the 2015 draft class: 5 of 10 (Brandon Scherff (46 GP, 46 GS), Preston Smith (48 GP, 34 GS), Jamison Crowder (47 GP, 21 GS), Arie Kouandjio (16 GP, 8 GS), Martrell Spaight (30 GP, 7 GS)); 2 starters, 1 major role player, 2 backups
Current number of players on the roster from the 2016 draft class: 3 of 7 (Josh Doctson (18 GP, 14 GS), Su'a Cravens (11 GP, 3 GS), Matt Ioannidis (24 GP, 10 GS)); 2 starters, 1 backup

We've got six(*) starters and three backups from 25 picks. If we're building through the draft, the heart of our team should be in these classes especially considering how little we got out of the 2010-2013 classes.

(*) I'm going to treat Crowder as a starter. Doctson starting to date is more due his draft position and the lack of other options in our receiving corps.

Thanks for going in the total opposite direction of my point.

My point was from 2010 we only have one starter out of the draft left - TWill. No one else worked out long term.

In 2011 we have Kerrigan, no one else worked out long term.

In 2012 we had RG3 fail and McCloughan/Gruden decided they didn’t want to keep Morris after his rookie contract was up, my opinion was it was more McCloughan because he wanted Matt Jones to be the future. If it wasn’t for McCloughan it’s my opinion that Alfred Morris would still be our starting RB and getting near or over 1,000 yards each of the last two seasons.

We all know the Kirk Cousins saga since he was drafted and especially since 2015 and not getting a contract, clearly that’s on Bruce Allen but from all reports McCloughan didn’t want to sign him to a huge blockbuster deal either or one similar to what he just got from the Vikings. Remember McCloughan didn’t think he was a special player.

In 2013 we drafted Jordan Reid and Chris Thompson who have worked out long term.

So, in 4 years of Shanahan drafting we got 4 players who have worked out long term for us. That breaks down to one player a year. The Shanahan drafts seem like more of the travesty than what has happened since Shanhanan was fired.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So, in 4 years of Shanahan drafting we got 4 players who have worked out long term for us. That basically breaks down to one a year. That seems like more of the travesty than what has happened since Shanhanan was fired.

So instead of four in four years we've ended up with *checks notes* four in three years (I'm assuming Preston Smith leaves, but we keep Jamison Crowder and Matt Ioannidis).

giphy.gif

Better than horrible != good

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Thanks for going in the total opposite direction of my point.

My point was from 2010 we only have one starter out of the draft left - TWill. No one else worked out long term.

In 2011 we have Kerrigan, no one else worked out long term.

In 2012 we had RG3 fail and McCloughan/Gruden decided they didn’t want to keep Morris after his rookie contract was up, my opinion was it was more McCloughan because he wanted Matt Jones to be the future. If it wasn’t for McCloughan it’s my opinion that Alfred Morris would still be our starting RB and getting near or over 1,000 yards each of the last two seasons.

We all know the Kirk Cousins saga since he was drafted and especially since 2015 and not getting a contract, clearly that’s on Bruce Allen but from all reports McCloughan didn’t want to sign him to a huge blockbuster deal either or one similar to what he just got from the Vikings. Remember McCloughan didn’t think he was a special player.

In 2013 we drafted Jordan Reid and Chris Thompson who have worked out long term.

So, in 4 years of Shanahan drafting we got 4 players who have worked out long term for us. That breaks down to one player a year. The Shanahan drafts seem like more of the travesty than what has happened since Shanhanan was fired.

You conveniently leaving out how we significantly changed offensive schemes which impacted a lot of them not being retained.  

Also, pointing out other failures doesn't make Bruce Allen any less of a failure.  

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

So instead of four in four years we've ended up with *checks notes* four in three years (I'm assuming Preston Smith leaves, but we keep Jamison Crowder and Matt Ioannidis).

giphy.gif

Better than horrible != good

You’re making assumptions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/06/pfts-free-agent-top-100/

I'm by no means saying that PFT is the one true source for information, but they were a handy-dandy "top 100" of free agents. Here's what's left per their ranking (excluding RFAs, they only had two anyway):

9. Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh (released March 14).
13. Seahawks defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson.
21. Giants offensive lineman Justin Pugh.
24. Bills cornerback E.J. Gaines.
26. Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu (released March 14).
27. Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro.
29. Falcons defensive end Adrian Clayborn.
36. Packers safety Morgan Burnett.
39. Dolphins center Mike Pouncey (released March 15).
40. Raiders inside linebacker Navorro Bowman.
41. Chiefs defensive tackle Bennie Logan.
44. Chargers safety Tre Boston.
47. Colts guard Jack Mewhort.
48. Ravens center Ryan Jensen.
53. Bears linebacker Pernell McPhee (released).
55. Lions tight end Eric Ebron (released March 14).
56. 49ers safety Eric Reid.
63. Colts cornerback Rashaan Melvin.
67. Jets cornerback Morris Claiborne.
68. Cardinals receiver Jaron Brown.
75. Bills receiver Jordan Matthews.
76. Washington receiver Terrelle Pryor.
78. Washington linebacker Junior Galette.
80. Ravens receiver Mike Wallace.
86. Bears receiver Kendall Wright.
87. Rams outside linebacker Connor Barwin.
90. Lions linebacker Tahir Whitehead.
93. Falcons defensive lineman Derrick Shelby (released).
94. Rams center John Sullivan.
96. Bills linebacker Preston Brown.
99. Cardinals safety Tyvon Branch.
100. Cardinals cornerback Justin Bethel.

Basically, only a third remains after "two" days (realistically four).

Separated out by position:

68. Cardinals receiver Jaron Brown.
75. Bills receiver Jordan Matthews.
76. Washington receiver Terrelle Pryor.
80. Ravens receiver Mike Wallace.
86. Bears receiver Kendall Wright.

55. Lions tight end Eric Ebron (released March 14).

21. Giants offensive lineman Justin Pugh.
47. Colts guard Jack Mewhort.

39. Dolphins center Mike Pouncey (released March 15).
48. Ravens center Ryan Jensen.
94. Rams center John Sullivan.

29. Falcons defensive end Adrian Clayborn.

9. Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh (released March 14).
13. Seahawks defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson.
41. Chiefs defensive tackle Bennie Logan.
93. Falcons defensive lineman Derrick Shelby (released).

40. Raiders inside linebacker Navorro Bowman.
53. Bears linebacker Pernell McPhee (released).
96. Bills linebacker Preston Brown.

78. Washington linebacker Junior Galette.
87. Rams outside linebacker Connor Barwin.
90. Lions linebacker Tahir Whitehead.

24. Bills cornerback E.J. Gaines.
63. Colts cornerback Rashaan Melvin.
67. Jets cornerback Morris Claiborne.
100. Cardinals cornerback Justin Bethel.

26. Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu (released March 14).
27. Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro.
36. Packers safety Morgan Burnett.
44. Chargers safety Tre Boston.
56. 49ers safety Eric Reid.
99. Cardinals safety Tyvon Branch.

Archived