The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

I’m trying not to rush football season so I can enjoy summer but man I miss football and just love football season. Maybe I should move to a warmer climate so I don’t have to worry about winter and summer lol.

We have talked a lot about WR recently with the Dez odds and everything but what are the other positions you are either worried about or just are interested in a certain position battle?

I have D-Line as my next biggest worry or question mark. Casey Logan Johnson and Jones are the first 3 or 4 starters on the line depending the formation. Jones is coming off an injury and Casey is 1 year older. The depth behind those guys isn’t pretty. 

Should the Titans look to add D-Line help or will they give Dodd a crack first then if he don’t work out then look to see what’s available? 

I believe King and Dodd are the 2 guys behind the first 4 guys I named is that going to be enough to win the division?

Also one other position battle I’m looking forward too during the preseason is the 3rd RB spot. I truly hope Akrum Wadley makes an impact in preseason and forces his way on the roster over Fluellen. I hope Henry and Lewis stay healthy but if god forbid either guy went down I would feel better about Wadley than I would Fluellen getting carries 

2 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Seen a tweet that Jameis Winston is bracing for a suspension. Once again thank you Tampa for taking Winston over Mariota 

I saw that too..

Thank you J.Rob. :)  He knew what he was doing. Even if he didn't predict himself coming to the Titans, he wanted to give his home state the better QB.

On 6/20/2018 at 12:22 AM, Titans fan 617 said:

I’m trying not to rush football season so I can enjoy summer but man I miss football and just love football season. Maybe I should move to a warmer climate so I don’t have to worry about winter and summer lol.

We have talked a lot about WR recently with the Dez odds and everything but what are the other positions you are either worried about or just are interested in a certain position battle?

I have D-Line as my next biggest worry or question mark. Casey Logan Johnson and Jones are the first 3 or 4 starters on the line depending the formation. Jones is coming off an injury and Casey is 1 year older. The depth behind those guys isn’t pretty. 

Should the Titans look to add D-Line help or will they give Dodd a crack first then if he don’t work out then look to see what’s available? 

I believe King and Dodd are the 2 guys behind the first 4 guys I named is that going to be enough to win the division?

Also one other position battle I’m looking forward too during the preseason is the 3rd RB spot. I truly hope Akrum Wadley makes an impact in preseason and forces his way on the roster over Fluellen. I hope Henry and Lewis stay healthy but if god forbid either guy went down I would feel better about Wadley than I would Fluellen getting carries 

I don't disagree that D line could use some improvement, but the Casey thing doesn't make sense. He's not at the age where being one year older is something to worry about and has shown zero signs of slowing down. He'll be his usual monster self.

19 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I saw that too..

Thank you J.Rob. :)  He knew what he was doing. Even if he didn't predict himself coming to the Titans, he wanted to give his home state the better QB.

I'm not a fan of Winston... I'm team MM8 all the way... but to be fair... MM8 has missed 6 full* games and parts of others in his career... Winston's only missed 3 (all last year).

So let's talk some Lewan contract.  I guess I'd like to know what you guys think would be reasonable... and at what point you'd draw the line.  There's a few guys out there that have crossed the $55M+/$11M+/$23M+ thresholds (total contract/avg yearly/total guaranteed).  But the guys who have set the market are:

• 2014 - Tyron Smith - 8 years, $98M, $12/yr, $22M guaranteed (but that included guaranteeing the final 2 years of his rookie contract)... because this was an extension, the contract was really 10 years, $110M... but the final two years are fully voidable and the Cowboys can cut him without any dead hits (they really got 8/$83M/$8M/$22M).  This was a steal of a contract for the Cowboys... and I'm sure Smith and his agents are kicking themselves for it.
  • 2015 - Trent Williams - 5 years, $66M, $13.2M/yr, $30M guaranteed... Williams set new standards for average yearly pay, and was the first guy to hit $25M guaranteed (and even 3 years later was the only one at $30M guaranteed until Solder's deal).  
  • 2016/2017 - Saw a few guys approach Williams' numbers, but no one surpassed him nor set a new market.
  • 2018 - Nate Solder - 4 years, $62M, $15.5M/yr, $35M guaranteed... bust through the wall, and set the market for new contracts.  $15.5M and $35 are significantly more than anyone got received before.  He was also the first to get more than 50% guaranteed, getting a nice 56% of his money guaranteed
  • *2018 - Zack Martin - 6 years, $84M, $14M/yr, $32M guaranteed.  May not exceed Solder's numbers, but it shook the market as well as a G getting the 2nd richest OL contract (per year and guaranteed). Norwell almost matched him as well, with $13.3M/yr and $30M guaranteed (shorter length, less overall, but higher percent guaranteed).

So where does that leave Lewan?  I think most of us rank him as the best OL in the league... top 3 for sure.  I think the rest of the NFL probably ranks him in the top 5.  Most have him rated above Solder... and overall, a top 5 LT is more highly regarded than even the best interior OL.  

Could he be the first true $100M LT?  Will he exceed $16M/year and will he be the 2nd OL hit 50% guaranteed money?  Would you all be ok with:

• 6 years
  • $100.2M
  • $16.7/year
  • $50M guaranteed

or how about

• 7 years
  • $112M
  • $16M/year
  • $55M guranteed

Don't forget that average QBs are getting $20/year as well... if Mariota has a bounce back year, we're looking at somewhere in the $25M/yr range coming for him (at the very least).  We're talking about tying up $40M/year ... somewhere around 20-25% of the cap on 2 players.

It's a tricky thing as well I think because of Lewan's age. He'll be 27 when the season starts. A 6 or 7 year deal puts him at 33/34 when the contract ends. I mean he very well could still be playing at a high level at that point(See: Whitworth), but more than likely around that age is when he'll start a decline(Roos as an example started a decline, slow, but still a decline, as he reached in to his 30s). He and his agent could be looking at this saying that he's not going to get a huge 2nd contract, and he needs to make as much money as possible on this deal.

I think we seriously dropped the ball on not signing him before last season started. He had already proven himself, and you know each year the contracts are just gonna keep going up(the cap space is too, but still).

Watching Robinson manage the cap these next couple years will be interesting. He's got Casey signed long term, but we've still got Lewan, Mariota, Byard, Conklin, Henry(assuming he's as good in the new system as some expect him to be) and Adoree as potentially huge contracts over the next 4ish seasons.

If those two contracts are the options, I'd probably go with option two. Won't have to worry about the position for 7 years, should make Lewan happy as the highest paid LT in football, and over time 16m a year for a top end LT will look better and better.

On 6/21/2018 at 6:02 PM, ragevsuall17 said:

I'm not a fan of Winston... I'm team MM8 all the way... but to be fair... MM8 has missed 6 full* games and parts of others in his career... Winston's only missed 3 (all last year).

Mariota 1 playoff win.  Winston 0  :)

9 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Mariota 1 playoff win.  Winston 0  :)

Oh there's plenty of arguments why Mariota is the better QB, football player,  teammate, person, etc... But let's not use missed games as one of those reasons when our guy had missed more himself, regardless of the reason. 

10 hours ago, VY-FTW said:

Marcus was always better 

Bucs my 2nd fav team because they passed MM like fr I smile every time I see them play LOL

The only reason I felt Winston went over Mariota, is because Winston plays wit emotion that not only shows, but is infectious & his teammates thrived off his leadership. Marcus is the quiet assassin.

2 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

The only reason I felt Winston went over Mariota, is because Winston plays wit emotion that not only shows, but is infectious & his teammates thrived off his leadership. Marcus is the quiet assassin.

Cause Marcus knows theres nothing to talk about. Lets just go out there and do it BABY! Marcus is clutch AF I dont care what anyone says

6 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I personally thought Winston was drafted because he played college ball in the same state and it was an easy way for the Bucs to sell tickets 

That was definitely a big part of it... can't overstate how important that PR is.  But I think Mariota's system also probably scared them a little bit... still not many college spread QBs have experienced sustained success at this level.  

Archived