The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

57 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I get that. I just don't necessarily believe that Watkins is in that tier of guys.  Could he be? Maybe, but he hasn't shown it yet. His inconsistencies as a player combined with his injury concerns and his inability to put up consistent numbers in one of the most high powered offenses in the league last year with one of if not the brightest young offensive minds in the league has me thinking there's no way he's worth that price tag. Right now he's still living off of that former first round pick status with loads of potential, but he hasn't really put it together in the league yet. Good for him for cashing in, but I'm glad we didn't pay him that type of money.

Yea, I mean that's fair if you don't rate him. But a handful of teams obviously do. I just think that mindset is going to lead you to a lot of frustration in the future, as the traditional numbers we're used to the last 3/4 years are not the baseline anymore. 

If we're going to hit any starter-level guys in FA it's going to be at $10M+ for pretty much anything at this rate.

17 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

And I’d be out on him at 16 mil. I’m not going to throw blind money at an average player just because other teams are willing to do it. I’d have my value on the player and what I think he’s worth and wouldn’t want to go too far above that. I don’t need a lesson from you on how free agency works. I’m well aware that guys get overpaid based on the market of their position, but merit still plays a role to me. I’m not paying big time money for a guy that hasn’t proven he’s worth it on the field. That’s just a silly investment to me. 

Like I said earlier, all of Watkins’ value is based off of his potential and his former first round pick status. Good for him for cashing in, but I wouldn’t have been paying 16 mil per for a guy that I haven’t seen produce on a consistent level.

And if you're a GM with a need at WR... good luck selling that to your season ticket holders who want to see their team make improvements. 

28 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

And I’d be out on him at 16 mil. I’m not going to throw blind money at an average player just because other teams are willing to do it. I’d have my value on the player and what I think he’s worth and wouldn’t want to go too far above that. I don’t need a lesson from you on how free agency works. I’m well aware that guys get overpaid based on the market of their position, but merit still plays a role to me. I’m not paying big time money for a guy that hasn’t proven he’s worth it on the field. That’s just a silly investment to me. 

Like I said earlier, all of Watkins’ value is based off of his potential and his former first round pick status. Good for him for cashing in, but I wouldn’t have been paying 16 mil per for a guy that I haven’t seen produce on a consistent level.

This where I am. The bolded. I'd have my value set for him. If I believe and apparently the Chiefs believe, that in that system he can be a productive guy, then go get him. If you don't think you can find anyone that will do what he can this year in FA or the draft them put the money out to get him.  

It's not a clear black and white thing to me.

I'd pay top money for a guy I believed in....while also not overpaying for a guy I like. If that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Bridgewater to Jets

Marquise Lee back to the Jags

Dang, Lee was a guy I was hoping we could snag in the 2nd or 3rd wave as an upgrade to Decker. Pair him and a guy like Gabriel with Davis, Taylor and Mathews and I'd feel pretty confident. Seems like they may keep Mathews and Davis as the top 2, and give Sharpe a chance to push for being the 3rd or 4th.

Just now, Chocolateman78 said:

And if you're a GM with a need at WR... good luck selling that to your season ticket holders who want to see their team make improvements. 

I’d take Allen Robinson at 14 per over Sammy Watkins at 16 personally but to each his own.

21 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I do find it funny how fans complain about their teams being inactive early into free agency but then complain about the price tag for the players.

Yep.

I think though it's fan looking at a website saying who the "best" FA's are and wanting a GM to shop from that list.  Go get Sammy Watkins.....hooooollld up. You paying him what?  After a season or two if they don't have 100 catches and 1500 yards, fans calling for the head of the GM and the player. 

Just because they switch jerseys, it doesn't erase a history of play. 

I understand both sides. But my thing is:

1. It's not your money.
2. If you want someone in FA, you have to spend above and beyond, especially early.
3. If you have a roster with only one active WR, you going to need to find some bodies to fill those spots. And can't do it all in the draft. 

22 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

This where I am. The bolded. I'd have my value set for him. If I believe and apparently the Chiefs believe, that in that system he can be a productive guy, then go get him. If you don't think you can find anyone that will do what he can this year in FA or the draft them put the money out to get him.  

I'd pay top money for a guy I believed in....while also not overpaying for a guy I like. If that makes sense.

This is 100% what I’ve been getting at. If I’m really high on a guy and think he’s a potential game changer for my team I’d be willing to overpay a bit for him. If it’s a guy I’m up and down on I wouldn’t be as willing to give him huge money. There’s a multitude of factors to all of this. There’s no black and white answers. Every scenario is different.

4 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

This is 100% what I’ve been getting at. If I’m really high on a guy and think he’s a potential game changer for my team I’d be willing to overpay a bit for him. If it’s a guy I’m up and down on I wouldn’t be as willing to give him huge money. There’s a multitude of factors to all of this. There’s no black and white answers. Every scenario is different.

Right and in FA you aren't just paying based on talent.

You gotta pay a "convenience fee"-add in a million or two for being the only team I visit.
a "relocation fee" another million or two to get me to move cities.
a "recruiting fee" another million or two to make me feel the love.
an "inflation fee" another million or two because the salary cap went up more
then you pay for potential, production and skill. lol

Add it all up and you get the $30 million guaranteed for Watkins and a $84 million fully guaranteed deal for Cousins. 

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

I do find it funny how fans complain about their teams being inactive early into free agency but then complain about the price tag for the players.

9 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I tend to agree here, but I still think fans get way into the numbers. Like lets say Sammy Watkins does bust in KC. How does that impact a fan outside of "X" player didn't make my team better? If Watkins is a bust, is it somehow better if you had paid him 11 mil as opposed to 16 mil? If he were a success are you gonna still be mad because in your mind he's worth 14 mil as opposed to 16 mil?

One of the weird side affects of the salary cap era is how caught up in it fans get. And it benefits the owners because it causes fans wrapped up in believing players should be happy at a certain price to play for their team. And if a player tries to maximize his value, fans chastise him as greedy and selfish. People might disagree, but if you ever thought someone should take a "hometown deal" then you fit the above narrative.  

I don;t buy this cap hell narrative which drives peoples fear of giving out big FA deals. Teams have learned to maneuver around these provisions. And if the decision goes bad, its not your money that has been wasted. The only reason to care about FA money being spent is if your cap situation gets so bad that you can't retain your own young talent. And for the vast majority of the league... that's not happening. It would be one thing if i was seeing teams have to give up on talented players because they don't have enough cap space to extend them due to bad decisions, but I'm not.  

And this isn't just aimed at Serenity. Every fan base does this and it makes no sense to me. And I'm not saying spend whatever on anybody, but we have gotten too bogged down into this 'X player is only worth this' narrative.

Long story short... I don't believe that missing on high priced players in FA is as detrimental to overall team success as it was 15 years ago. 

That doesn't mean that you sign every guy to the most money you can, but I don't think fans should be so wrapped up in how much a player is paid or overpaid.

Archived