The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

2 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Long story short... I don't believe that missing on high priced players in FA is as detrimental to overall team success as it was 15 years ago. 

That doesn't mean that you sign every guy to the most money you can, but I don't think fans should be so wrapped up in how much a player is paid or overpaid.

Completely agree. You certainly can still cripple yourself with bad contracts, but the days of one or two high-priced free agents potentially mortgaging the future are gone. Particularly since almost any contract can be gotten out of after two years with limited penalties.

How many consecutive years have the Jaguars had to overpay in free agency to see results? How did it work for the Giants a year after everyone claimed it worked for them? Now the Jaguars let Allen Robinson walk and we're supposed to act like they just didn't want him back and it has nothing to do with the cap ****hole they will be in next year when they have to start letting those big names go?

We need to be active instead of cheap, but not 16 million dollars to Sammy Watkins active. I don't give a **** which billionaire's money it is, spend it on somewhere else. Props to him for getting paid, but I don't like paying a ton for underachievers.

Edit: Robinson I thibk is more easily justified. The salary number and the more complete player.

Just now, titans0021 said:

Completely agree. You certainly can still cripple yourself with bad contracts, but the days of one or two high-priced free agents potentially mortgaging the future are gone. Particularly since almost any contract can be gotten out of after two years with limited penalties.

Yea man, teams front load deals so that they can get out of them later in the contract, when the cap number rises, with little penalty. I'm almost sure this is how the Jags are doing it. By the time they are extending Ngakoue, Jack, Ramsey, etc... Malik Jackson, Calais Campbell, and the lions share of AJ Bouye's contracts will be done, easily restructured or cut with minor cap dead money. 

11 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I tend to agree here, but I still think fans get way into the numbers. Like lets say Sammy Watkins does bust in KC. How does that impact a fan outside of "X" player didn't make my team better? If Watkins is a bust, is it somehow better if you had paid him 11 mil as opposed to 16 mil? If he were a success are you gonna still be mad because in your mind he's worth 14 mil as opposed to 16 mil?

One of the weird side affects of the salary cap era is how caught up in it fans get. And it benefits the owners because it causes fans wrapped up in believing players should be happy at a certain price to play for their team. And if a player tries to maximize his value, fans chastise him as greedy and selfish. People might disagree, but if you ever thought someone should take a "hometown deal" then you fit the above narrative.  

I don;t buy this cap hell narrative which drives peoples fear of giving out big FA deals. Teams have learned to maneuver around these provisions. And if the decision goes bad, its not your money that has been wasted. The only reason to care about FA money being spent is if your cap situation gets so bad that you can't retain your own young talent. And for the vast majority of the league... that's not happening. It would be one thing if i was seeing teams have to give up on talented players because they don't have enough cap space to extend them due to bad decisions, but I'm not.  

And this isn't just aimed at Serenity. Every fan base does this and it makes no sense to me. And I'm not saying spend whatever on anybody, but we have gotten too bogged down into this 'X player is only worth this' narrative.

Yeah I actually agree with most of this. Most GMs these days are smart enough to have provisions to get out of bigger FA deals if they go south, but these big deals still play a factor in how much of your in house talent you can afford to resign. There's still a lot of very talented players that hit the market, because their teams were strapped for cash.  Looking towards the future, I wouldn't want to lose a valuable piece to my team because of a poor decision I made in FA the year before that tied down big money to an average player.  I think teams still need to be somewhat mindful of how they're spending in FA, because it still has a domino effect on your team in one way or another.

As far as fans getting bogged down by the salary cap. I think your average fan is all about "go sign all the big name FAs! Why haven't the Titans signed Watkins and Robinson and Norwell!?" and could really care less about the team's salary cap situation. Fans on this board tend to dive deeper into actual team building and the philosophy behind every move and that's a big reason why I love coming on this board. No, it's not my money to spend, but the way that the team spends that money has a direct impact on the overall product I see on the field every Sunday which is important to me.

The Salary Cap is still a major aspect of the entire offseason process. If it wasn't teams wouldn't have cap guys that's sole job is to make contracts work within the cap now and into the future.

I think one thing to remember and @Chocolateman78 said it a minute ago. 

We've invested a lot of resources and money into our passing game. 
Corey Davis-1st round pick
Rishard Matthews- Mid size contract FA.
Taywan Taylor- 3rd round pick
Tajae Sharpe -5th round pick
Jonu Smith- 3rd round pick? (I forget)
Delaine Walker- Big money re-sign FA Pickup

I like new and shiny things, but I guess we do need to see if they can turn into something before we replace them.  New OC may be the biggest "FA" pick up we could have made. I do think we will add to the group, but don't have to be a high price FA or an 1st/2nd round pick to do that. We don't need WR#1. We need a good #3/4 that can play like an #2. :) 

Archived