The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

5 minutes ago, lovetitans said:

its like the Payton Manning sweepstakes on a much smaller scale lol. I think its going to end up the same way also. He's going to pick a team he wants in a few days then negations will start with that team.

Oh, I think the negotiations start long before he picks a team. He wants to get paid (which yeah, good for him, when you're destroying your body and have, a maximum, of three major contracts in your life, you should chase the biggest check), limiting the teams he's talking to will only hurt him when negotiating. He may have a team he's leaning towards, but you can almost guarantee that he's going to try his best to start a bidding war to get said team to match the best offer.

He's playing this so well. It reminds me of the HS football recruits that force schools to wine and dine them for months before they even consider making a decision. I like it. It seems like free agents feel the need to sign the second they can, I can respect going out and enjoying the process. Once you sign on the dotted line, you're just another member of the roster.

In the end, I do think that if we really, really want him, we'll land him. We can simply afford to pay him more immediately than the Saints or Seahawks. According to OTC, the Seahawks were just under $20 million in space before the Brown, Mingo and Alexander signings. So, I feel fairly comfortable assuming they're now around $15 million. The Saints are at $6 million. And we, after the four contracts, should be sitting in the $35-40 million range. Now, obviously New Orleans and Seattle can find work arounds to clear more room, but I can't imagine getting to the point where they could put forth an offer that we couldn't top without doing real long-term damage to themselves.

So if JR feels like he's worth breaking the bank for, we have the ability to be the highest bidder. The only question is what kind of ceiling Robinson will put on the length and guarantees of any potential contract.

If J-Rob really wants Suh and it comes down to money, just offer more than NOLA can in year 1 and we have a pretty good shot. If Suh does have 3/4 years left we are a better option anyways. Hope it happens

25 minutes ago, VY said:

If J-Rob really wants Suh and it comes down to money, just offer more than NOLA can in year 1 and we have a pretty good shot. If Suh does have 3/4 years left we are a better option anyways. Hope it happens

Yeah. If he is going to sign a 1 or 2 year deal then we are the better option. If he wants a 3 or 4 year deal then you guys are the better option. Plus you guys can offer more money. That seems like a real advantage. 

In all honesty, as cool as it would be for the Saints to land Suh, I just want an answer soon.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Yup. I'm saying the earliest he signs is March 25.

Also, all expense paid trips to New Orleans, Nashville and L.A. He's killing it.

This going to drag on forever...

3 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

How much salary cap the rams have ?

About $25 million.

1 minute ago, JMG5 said:

This going to drag on forever...

Yeah, there's no end in sight. If I was Hankins, I would wait until after Suh signs and hope that a couple of the losing teams jump into the bidding.

So, with this Suh chase likely going to drag on, anybody have a list of second-tier FA's that are still out there that they'd have interest in?

Eric Reid would be at the top of my list. I think Morgan Burnett would look good in our secondary. Terrelle Pryor. Obviously. If we miss out on Suh, Hankins would be nice. But I can't imagine him staying on the market long enough for us to get him as a consolation prize. Tre Boston? Maybe? Colin Kaepernick, though I'm hoping to not get dragged back into that. Could be talked into Mike Wallace to at least add competition for the third WR spot. 

Archived