Why didn't you tackle, Marcus?

BossierWhoDat

That was so close to being an amazing comeback! ?

I'm not mad at Marcus but that was the ABSOLUTE worst time to pull up and avoid a penalty. And even worse, he took out the only guy who could (maybe) recover and make the tackle.

Okay, I am a little sour.

Any thoughts on this? Was this just a blessing for the often-plagued Vikings?

Hey, it is what it is.  We've been depending on stellar rookie play at many important positions all year, it was eventually gonna bite us in the ***.  Next year with more experience, hopefully we'll be considerably more dangerous.

rfwss33_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The defense was terrible on that last play irregardless of what Marcus Williams did, there's simply no reason he should have been left this wide open near the sidelines for a field goal attempt with 10 seconds left in the game, obviously Williams should have still made the tackle but this was just bad defense, but I've said previously that big plays like this have been hurting the saints all year, definitely need to improve.

3 minutes ago, Lyoane said:

rfwss33_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The defense was terrible on that last play irregardless of what Marcus Williams did, there's simply no reason he should have been left this wide open near the sidelines for a field goal attempt with 10 seconds left in the game, obviously Williams should have still made the tackle but this was just bad defense.

Go back...

Payton calls a ridiculous TO with 10 seconds left. Is seen talking to the DB's on the sideline, meanwhile allowing Minnesota to regroup and get a better play call in. Payton likley reminding his young DB's that the game cannot end on a defensive foul amd a PI could allow the Vikings a chance at a FG.

Now rewatch the last play... Saints DB's allow all recievers free routes and Williams comes up soft in support. Our DB's were playing scared thanks to Payton.

3 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Go back...

Payton calls a ridiculous TO with 10 seconds left. Is seen talking to the DB's on the sideline, meanwhile allowing Minnesota to regroup and get a better play call in. Payton likley reminding his young DB's that the game cannot end on a defensive foul amd a PI could allow the Vikings a chance at a FG.

Now rewatch the last play... Saints DB's allow all recievers free routes and Williams comes up soft in support. Our DB's were playing scared thanks to Payton.

You're probably right, but they could have easily also committed interference and lost us the game also.  I think Payton was right to remind them and give them a breather, but obviously in hindsight, it was the wrong call.  I don't think it was his most egregious mistake in the game.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

You're probably right, but they could have easily also committed interference and lost us the game also.  I think Payton was right to remind them and give them a breather, but obviously in hindsight, it was the wrong call.  I don't think it was his most egregious mistake in the game.

It was like a pitcher taking a No No into the bottom of the ninth and while sitting all alone off in the distance in the dugout his coach walks up to him, throws his arm over his shoulder and says... "Hey, how about this no hitter?"

Im sure Payton's intentions were good but the secquence of events that came from that TO (Minnesota regrouping, Our DB's made to think and not react) lead to a terrible outcome for us.

2 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

It was like a pitcher taking a No No into the bottom of the ninth and while sitting all alone off in the distance in the dugout his coach walks up to him, throws his arm over his shoulder and says... "Hey, how about this no hitter?"

Im sure Payton's intentions were good but the secquence of events that came from that TO (Minnesota regrouping, Our DB's made to think and not react) lead to a terrible outcome for us.

I would agree, but our defense hadn't been pitching a no hitter before then, in fact they had been getting burnt by the WRs and killing us with penalties all game.

I don't place the loss on Marcus solely, but regardless of what Payton told him, all he had to do was make a routine, fundamental play. 

13 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

That is the correct thing to do on Payton's part. The players didn't execute the opportunity was there, but they didn't. You can't just say Payton made Williams whiff. Williams made Williams whiff.

4 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I would agree, but our defense hadn't been pitching a no hitter before then, in fact they had been getting burnt by the WRs and killing us with penalties all game.

I don't place the loss on Marcus solely, but regardless of what Payton told him, all he had to do was make a routine, fundamental play. 

Agreed...

Just as if Hill linesup correctly (which is routine) on Ginns TD and it isnt called back. Or if Brees puts about 2 more yards of air under his deep throw to Ginn that was INT. If Snead hits Kamara in stride on the fake play... Etc, etc. 

Williams play is highlighted but alot went into this loss. If we murder the kid for his mistake I feel it could really damage a very bright future for him and us. Make no mistake about it, if the Saints are to come back stronger next season Marcus Williams will play a huge role in doing so.

Just now, whodatworm23 said:

Agreed...

Just as if Hill linesup correctly (which is routine) on Ginns TD and it isnt called back. Or if Brees puts about 2 more yards of air under his deep throw to Ginn that was INT. If Snead hits Kamara in stride on the fake play... Etc, etc. 

Williams play is highlighted but alot went into this loss. If we murder the kid for his mistake I feel it could really damage a very bright future for him and us. Make no mistake about it, if the Saints are to come back stronger next season Marcus Williams will play a huge role in doing so.

I agree I never like putting blame on a guy in that situation.  He already feels worse than any of us feel, and had the misfortune that his bad play happened at the end of the game.  We made too many mistakes in the first half, b ut it says a lot about this team in what we were able to do in the second half against this defense on the road to overcome that deficit.

I have wondered how different it would have been with Breaux out there if he wasn't injured. He was inconsistent and grabby but he was our original #1 corner. I wonder about Vaccaro too, he would have never missed that tackle.

Just now, NS922 said:

I have wondered how different it would have been with Breaux out there if he wasn't injured. He was inconsistent and grabby but he was our original #1 corner. I wonder about Vaccaro too, he would have never missed that tackle.

Breaux healthy, and playing well, opposite of Lattimore with Crawley in the slot would be amazing.

Archived