Still a good day to be a Steelers fan...

CKSteeler

Ben Roethlisberger said publicly on Sunday he will return to play in the 2018 season. He has told teammates he wants to play at least another three.

The question now becomes, who will be the Steelers’ offensive coordinator in 2018 and beyond?

However, a Steelers source surmised that some biting words from Haley the day after the loss in New England prompted a frustrated Roethlisberger to bring up retirement publicly.

The coach and quarterback rarely talked along the sidelines, never huddled to discuss upcoming strategy while their defense was on the field. It came to a head when the coaches were unprepared to have a play ready when the Jesse James touchdown was overturned against New England.

Mike Tomlin made the unusual move at midseason to have quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner leave the coaches’ booth for the sideline. It came at the behest of Roethlisberger, who wanted a “buffer” between him and Haley, according to a CBS report at the time.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/15/Ben-Roethlisberger-retirement-todd-Haley-offensive-coordinator-replacement-Randy-Fichtner-Mike-Tomlin-Jaguars-Patriots/stories/201801150139

By Crom's greatness, Roethlisberger will be back. And committing to 3 more years, at that. Merely because Todd will be gone.

Also lost in all of the commotion - both Butler and Haley's contracts are up. Neither was renewed. Perhaps we can see an influx of new ideas on both sides of the ball. And finally...maybe we can see this offense reach its actual potential.

The superstitious Steelers fan side of me wants to point out Elway's loss to the Jaguars in 1996 in a shootout. How this game and its baffling head coaching decisions against a resurgent Jags team they lost to twice in 2007 led to a Super Bowl the following year. The rational side of me tells me there's a fundamental rot in how this team has been built and the personalities they rely on.

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

did't know butler's deal was up... really hope the steelers at least think about other options before they keep him

Wasnt aware of that either.

In that case, I would definitely be exploring other options.

Wouldnt mind seeing something like...

OC - Randy Fitchner
DC - Rex Ryan
LB coach - Keith Butler (not sure he would stay, but I liked him as LB coach)
DB coach -  Kris Richard (former Seattle secondary coach)

But I expect the only change to be made is Fitch to OC.   Rest is status quo.   

To be honest I don’t keep track of other coaches to really know who I would want but I know I want something different. I’d atleast like to see a new OC, DB Coach, LB coach and I wouldn’t mind finding a new DC either although it won’t bother me if Butler stays at DC.

just think seeing the steelers defense end the season looking lost and confuse in back to back years is a huge cause of concern

the steelers lost the AFC title last yr before the game even started because of the coaching advantage the pats have.. but I let that pass because bill always makes other coaches look stupid.. but to have this happen again against that jags offense? come on

The Steelers have spent 3 years broadcasting how they've simplified their defense without Lebeau. We still see a ridiculous amount of blown coverages despite high draft picks.

It's simply getting old, and I don't think it's all on Butler at all. I mean, you can't as a head coach broadcast your role in the defensive design and then wash your hands of those mistakes. Especially when you spent more time as a DB coach than a coordinator. But they need to get some people in here to clean things up.

38 minutes ago, August4th said:

just think seeing the steelers defense end the season looking lost and confuse in back to back years is a huge cause of concern

the steelers lost the AFC title last yr before the game even started because of the coaching advantage the pats have.. but I let that pass because bill always makes other coaches look stupid.. but to have this happen again against that jags offense? come on

The defense was playing well early in the season before Shazier and Haden went down.      It was always vulnerable because of our crap safeties and lack of a pass rush without blitzing, but it was at least playing at a respectable level.

Like Butler or not, that will be a strong defense for him keeping his job.    

I dont honestly care if he is replaced....but I dont think he is as terrible as some Steeler fans seem to think either.   Lets remember that the almight LeBeau always struggled against the Pats too....and if he had the defensive talent we have now, Im not sure his defenses would be much better that what Butler's is....especially after losing a vital piece the defense was largely built around.  

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

The Steelers have spent 3 years broadcasting how they've simplified their defense without Lebeau. We still see a ridiculous amount of blown coverages despite high draft picks.

It's simply getting old, and I don't think it's all on Butler at all. I mean, you can't as a head coach broadcast your role in the defensive design and then wash your hands of those mistakes. Especially when you spent more time as a DB coach than a coordinator. But they need to get some people in here to clean things up.

I wish they would bring in a coach like Ryan or Del Rio and let them have full control of the defense.

Unfortunately, I dont see it happening.

54 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I wish they would bring in a coach like Ryan or Del Rio and let them have full control of the defense.

Unfortunately, I dont see it happening.

I would like an overhaul on the D, this system only does well vs non playoff teams from what I have seen. Stats are often a product of who you play.  I am not sure what a new DC would do with the existing talent. If we play 3-4, we need edge that can cover and learn that much more. It's another reason why I have been thinking 4-3 in recent years.  Media will talk about ben returning and bell getting his deal, but the D should be getting addressed in a series manner. Haden was a start, but we need more help unless the goal is more games like yesterday. I couldn't stand that game despite the score .  

Archived