NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Van Ness is going to replace Preston, not Rashan.

could be right, but we have several ways to deal with Gary, no way I'am paying him based on prior 1.5 year production out of the 4 years he's been on this team after that acl, he'll have to prove to me he's capable to return playing at that level, specially after drafting LVN and the emergence of Enagbare, much above 20 m annual and I cut the cord, get a first in a trade and move on.

4 minutes ago, turf toe said:

could be right, but we have several ways to deal with Gary, no way I'am paying him based on prior 1.5 year production out of the 4 years he's been on this team after that acl, he'll have to prove to me he's capable to return playing at that level, specially after drafting LVN and the emergence of Enagbare, much above 20 m annual and I cut the cord, get a first in a trade and move on.

This is why you post on a message board and are not a GM. 

21 minutes ago, turf toe said:

20m range is fine. If he starts asking north of 30 though, we should listen to offers

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This is why you post on a message board and are not a GM. 

to funny, let us all know when you've been offered a job for the Packers.

Mike Smith talked Guty into drafting Gary, it was a stupid pick then and it will be stupid to pay him prior to his proving that Knee will allow him to play as he did in 2021, and no more then about 22, 23 even then, Pass pressure is great but Gary has not proven to be a sack artist.

Enagbare is Preston Smiths replacement, or we'll resign Preston on a cheaper contract, LVN will get Gary's job unless he signs a reasonable deal.

14 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Paying someone based on prior production rather than future expected production is a bad move

Packer Fans have defended this pick from day 1, even after we signed both Smiths, Guty should have traded back, picked up another pick and taken a player at a position of need.

I hated the Gary pick for just those reasons, we needed a player, not a groomer, that he did well 3 seasons later is besides the point, and now he's coming back after a knee rebuild, so it's debatable that he'll ever be as good as he was in 2021, the problem is his agent will demand money based on that season, and that money is now close to 30 mil. thats to much for me.

22 minutes ago, turf toe said:

to funny, let us all know when you've been offered a job for the Packers.

Mike Smith talked Guty into drafting Gary, it was a stupid pick then and it will be stupid to pay him prior to his proving that Knee will allow him to play as he did in 2021, and no more then about 22, 23 even then, Pass pressure is great but Gary has not proven to be a sack artist.

Enagbare is Preston Smiths replacement, or we'll resign Preston on a cheaper contract, LVN will get Gary's job unless he signs a reasonable deal.

Enagbare might be Smith's replacement, but none of them are close to the talent of Gary. Only a fool would espouse we trade Gary for a FRP. He's not going to be 26 years old until December 3rd. 

You trade Gary and release Smith after this year. The latter is likely, you turn a position of strength into a complete unknown and likely a weakness.  

It's absolutely asinine to suggest we might do that. Your whole argument is based on, "I didn't like the pick so we have to trade him so I can be right!"

Guess what, I hated the pick, but am smart enough to admit when I was wrong and get on board with a dynamic player, we are lucky to have. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Leader said:

I dont take in a whole bunch of Patriot related media....so I've mostly been exposed to his short responses to some presser question. Doesnt mean he actually doesnt speak at greater length however. We just dont see those. 

He does this at least 5x per season and if you haven't seen them I guess you just haven't been paying attention.  It's a well known thing in NE - any random question can set up a really long tangent like answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Enagbare might be Smith's replacement, but none of them are close to the talent of Gary. Only a fool would espouse we trade Gary for a FRP. He's not going to be 26 years old until December 3rd. 

You trade Gary and release Smith after this year. The latter is likely, you turn a position of strength into a complete unknown and likely a weakness.  

It's absolutely asinine to suggest we might do that. Your whole argument is based on, "I didn't like the pick so we have to trade him so I can be right!"

Guess what, I hated the pick, but am smart enough to admit when I was wrong and get on board with a dynamic player, we are lucky to have. 

If a team offers 2 FRPs for Gary, I'm listening. This is all dependent on his contract demands also

12 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

If a team offers 2 FRPs for Gary, I'm listening. This is all dependent on his contract demands also

If It's KC I'm not. If it's Arizona I would, maybe. The conversation was a single FRP. 

He's coming back with a vengeance. 

Edited by Old Guy

If we get the offer the bears made for Khalil Mack at this year's deadline, we take that.  Something less, probably keep Gary.

I don't think Gary's age perfectly fits with the window the rest of this team has. 

LVN's does though.  Musgrave, Watson, Tom, Elgton Jenkins, Jaire, Quay Walker, Wyatt all are better long term fits given age and existing contract.

Trading Gary and not having to pay him is a big thing.  You get to spend that money on a player who is supposedly just as good as Gary.

38 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

He does this at least 5x per season and if you haven't seen them I guess you just haven't been paying attention.  It's a well known thing in NE - any random question can set up a really long tangent like answer.

He may do this 5x a season (or following any random question), but this is the first time I've seen his speak at this length at one time.

5 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Oh I agree, his answer was interesting to listen to.  I also realize the guy asking the question probably didn't mean anything nefarious by it and was trying to pick Bill's brain but damn that kind of attitude is so annoying.  I've seen people say that same **** about kickers and punters and are 100% serious.

I don't think it was "oh anyone can do it" and more "it didn't used to be a specialty, is it necessary for it to be one now?" Back inOd say the 80s it was just your center, and if he got hurt usually there was a TE or LB who could do it. 

As far as GB, they signed veteran center Blair Bush as a plan B free agent, and found him so valuable as a LS that (IIRC) he just flew in for games.