NFL News & Notes

Leader

17 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Yeah, that match checks out.

Bear in mind that this comes from someone in the NFLPA, but apparently this study is done every year by some playing field committee that includes the NFLPA so I'd assume both sides agree on this report.

It would indeed be nice to have access to the full thing.

The other question we need to ask is whether the goal SHOULD be to get injuries down to zero? 

We could ban cleats today, put everybody in tennis shoes, and we wouldn't have people blowing their knees out at all. 

Now, nobody would be able to cut effectively and all the techniques would have to change due to a lack of grip, but we could do it. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

The other question we need to ask is whether the goal SHOULD be to get injuries down to zero? 

We could ban cleats today, put everybody in tennis shoes, and we wouldn't have people blowing their knees out at all. 

Now, nobody would be able to cut effectively and all the techniques would have to change due to a lack of grip, but we could do it. 

is there a noticeably better product on the field with turf?  I'm a casual fan, but I don't notice guys cutting harder or running faster compared to grass.  I think everyone would notice guys slipping every time they tried changing direction in flats though.

If we can reduce the risk of injury without compromising the product then its something that should be looked at.

5 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

is there a noticeably better product on the field with turf?  I'm a casual fan, but I don't notice guys cutting harder or running faster compared to grass.  I think everyone would notice guys slipping every time they tried changing direction in flats though.

If we can reduce the risk of injury without compromising the product then its something that should be looked at.

The skill position players seem to think so. They feel better and faster playing on it. 

I was just kind of setting one broad extreme. 

What if we mandated only 1/4 cleats, none of the 3/8 or 1/2 cleats? It would reduce injuries like this, but the grip and cuttability would be worse. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The skill position players seem to think so. They feel better and faster playing on it. 

I was just kind of setting one broad extreme. 

What if we mandated only 1/4 cleats, none of the 3/8 or 1/2 cleats? It would reduce injuries like this, but the grip and cuttability would be worse. 

Smaller cleats could certainly be a compromise. 

We could have everyone line up and do the cleat check like we all did as kids making sure nobody is wearing spikes

4 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

What’s better? The turf field the Rodgers tore his achilles on or the grass field the RB tore his achilles on in Baltimore?

Ah man, you really got me there. That sample size really shows it all. 

Wait..

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36243906/nflpa-new-injury-data-shows-grass-significantly-safer-turf?platform=amp

4 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

That’s BS. They collectively bargain for all nature of things. They could have made a push for this years ago. I’ve been hearing the players ***** about this since Eddie Lee Ivory tore up his knee. How many contracts have come up since then?  Fight for all outdoor stadiums be played on the surface they want etc.

I’m sure the billionaires will thank you for your hard work defending them. 

Edited by Bcv

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The last time we "Just listened to science" it turned out that "science" was just a bunch of women calling each other over wine and shooting from the hip about which of our civil libraries we would be allowed that day. Spare me "just listen to science". 

Without the per field injury data, there isn't much to conclude from this. If Panther Stadium is a hell hole but Cowboy stadium has no discernible difference, there's nothing to it. 

Should basketball be played on field turf because there's more give than wood laminate? 

99'9% of the time science is right, and a bunch of woman complaining to just complain is not science, why would you be so polarized against consenting opinion of dedicated professionals? 

the only reason turf is popular has to do with dollars, thats the main reason HS use it, and sense the speed at that level is less, we don't see as many injuries, most rural HS still have grass

which cost more at the NFL level, a star at any position is at least 10 million, doesn't take a genius to figure that out, imo owners will cave now, or at the next CBA.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

As opposed to he millionaires who are going to line up to give you a dry handy?

The millionaires are the ones providing me entertainment every week during the season. They’re also the ones providing the product that generates revenues for the billionaires and they’re not the ones reaping the majority of the profits.

Just now, turf toe said:

99'9% of the time science is right, and a bunch of woman complaining to just complain is not science, why would you be so polarized against consenting opinion of dedicated professionals? 

the only reason turf is popular has to do with dollars, thats the main reason HS use it, and sense the speed at that level is less, we don't see as many injuries, most rural HS still have grass

which cost more at the NFL level, a star at any position is at least 10 million, doesn't take a genius to figure that out, imo owners will cave now, or at the next CBA.

The above is what "Trust the Science" ended up being. 

Science seems to have come to the conclusion that the solution to gay austistic kids is to chop their **** off and tell them they're a girl. Spare me the rhetoric about how great modern science is. 

As far as the owners changing to grass, either now, OR AT THE NEXT CBA

THANK YOU!!!

That's the ******* point. 

The players will need to negotiate the change to the rules. 

It's bull**** that they're trying to force this change through now. 

The thing about the surface is that "play every game on grass" is something the NFL absolutely has the ability to do.  It would just cost them money, and they're not really inclined to spend more money for the same product.

But there is at least a faction in the NFLPA who wants grass fields as a part of a broader "player safety" mandate.  This is more of an intra-union discussion about "what should our priorities be" rather than something they can actually get by lobbying the media.  Since it's important to come to a negotiation like "collective bargaining" with a clear delineation of what your priorities are  There's a lot of things that would be nice for the NFLPA to get, but how many of them are actually important?

Like this comes up every time there are hard feelings about the franchise tag.  People are broadly upset about "how has the NFLPA allowed the franchise tag to continue to exist?"  But the franchise tag affects like 6 people every offseason, and the NFLPA's membership is like 2500.  The union isn't there to cater to the richest, most famous members, particularly when it comes at the expense of everybody else.

The current CBA expires in 2030, so it's a ways before we actually get to the bargaining table but these sorts of conversations are important when it comes to "setting priorities."

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bcv said:

The millionaires are the ones providing me entertainment every week during the season. They’re also the ones providing the product that generates revenues for the billionaires and they’re not the ones reaping the majority of the profits.

That you think the Billionaires don't play a part in providing you entertainment is ridiculous. There is more to the NFL than what happens on the field. I know logistics and infrastructure is boring, but it's what allows the league to function. 

As far as not seeing the majority of the profits . . . yes, technically, by 1.2%. Players get 48.8% of all revenue earned.