NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Well, his team is still playing.

Ah, duh, but correct me if I’m wrong - can’t you make a deal in principle with coaches that are still in the playoffs? I swear this has happened before, but I could easily be wrong 

4 hours ago, Isherwood said:

I suppose there is a debate to be had, but the good news is that there are seemingly more deserving minority coaches than ever, and I also don’t think it’s preventing qualified people of any race from getting jobs.

Ben Johnson is the one guy on the market that I am surprised is still on the market, but of course there’s plenty of time left and also we have no idea how his interviews went. 

I guess I’m kind of surprised Bill is still on the market, but maybe the NFL is getting past these old guys, regardless of their legacy. And with his apparent desires for more personnel control, maybe that’s making the decision to move past the old guard even easier.  

Nobody can hire him until the Lions are out of the playoffs, or at least that is what I thought. Having said that, if the Lions beat the 49ers, I expect he'll get passed over for a guy they can get in there and get to work.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Ah, duh, but correct me if I’m wrong - can’t you make a deal in principle with coaches that are still in the playoffs? I swear this has happened before, but I could easily be wrong 

No idea, but I would think they would not allow you to announce it. Could be a distraction to that team. 

If the Lions lose on Sunday and he's a HC somewhere on Monday, you can pretty much be sure your scenario happened. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

No idea, but I would think they would not allow you to announce it. Could be a distraction to that team. 

I remember what I was thinking of, too. Ha ha, it was the Josh McDaniels year where he agreed to the Colts job before his postseason was over but then he backed out 😂 

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I suspect he has a deal in principle at this point. But who knows. The coach hiring window has some seeming surprises every damn year.

I know he's interviewed, but who were the team(s) he interviewed with? 

5 hours ago, Isherwood said:

I guess I’m kind of surprised Bill is still on the market, but maybe the NFL is getting past these old guys, regardless of their legacy. And with his apparent desires for more personnel control, maybe that’s making the decision to move past the old guard even easier

This sounds stupid but that's never stopped me before. 

There's no "glory" to be gained hiring BB. If you win BB will get all the credit. If you don't you're the idiot who couldn't even win will the GOAT.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

This sounds stupid but that's never stopped me before. There's no "glory" to be gained hiring BB. If you win BB will get all the credit. If you don't you're the idiot who couldn't even win will the GOAT.

I'm not saying it would happen should somebody hire BB.....but tell that to an Owner after he's lifted up a Lombardi.

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not saying it would happen should somebody hire BB.....but tell that to an Owner after he's lifted up a Lombardi.

That's almost my entire point. The point of achieving something like that is getting the credit for accomplishing it and if you hire BB all that credit is going to him.

It's like us having a forum wide best ball golf tournament and somebody bringing in Tiger Woods as their partner. It doesn't matter how good you are at golfing. Shoot a 75 while the rest of us are shooting around 100 but everybody is going to say it was because you "hired a ringer".

7 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

That's almost my entire point. The point of achieving something like that is getting the credit for accomplishing it and if you hire BB all that credit is going to him. It's like us having a forum wide best ball golf tournament and somebody bringing in Tiger Woods as their partner. It doesn't matter how good you are at golfing. Shoot a 75 while the rest of us are shooting around 100 but everybody is going to say it was because you "hired a ringer".

Okay. I've got your point. Mine is far more simple: it wouldnt matter to the Owner. 
You dont hear the folks involved running around "taking credit" for winning Super Bowls. Shortly after - sure - you hear a lot of "We won" - and the Media will talk up a story (or two) about it....but I dont think it has any legs whatsoever amongst the people making these hiring decisions. The "Will I get credit" thing wont matter IMO.

The end all be all of the process is winning the thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay. I've got your point. Mine is far more simple: it wouldnt matter to the Owner. 
You dont hear the folks involved running around "taking credit" for winning Super Bowls. Shortly after - sure - you hear a lot of "We won" - and the Media will talk up a story (or two) about it....but I dont think it has any legs whatsoever amongst the people making these hiring decisions. The "Will I get credit" thing wont matter IMO.

The end all be all of the process is winning the thing.

right, Bill wants total control of all football operations, that mean a total remake of a FO, thats letting long tenured staff go, parting ways with some you've known for many years, doing stuff like that would give any owner night sweats, sounds like thats what Arthur Blank went through, imo Belichick will take this year to scale back his demands or a team with a broken FO will come calling.

5 minutes ago, turf toe said:

right, Bill wants total control of all football operations, that mean a total remake of a FO, thats letting long tenured staff go, parting ways with some you've known for many years, doing stuff like that would give any owner night sweats, sounds like thats what Arthur Blank went through, imo Belichick will take this year to scale back his demands or a team with a broken FO will come calling.

Well, I cant presume what he's saying in the interviews...and who's to say how accurate media reports (or leaks) actually are...but that's the working conditions he operated under in NE. His primary problem...is he has a less than extended....but longer than he'd like...history of not handling those matters all too well. His drafts have been readily trashed. His coaching hires....less than extraordinary. His record....not so good. So it would actually be odd for him to be demanding his NE level of influence be repeated wherever he's interviewing.

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Belichick can't get out of his own way at this point.  Can't blame ATL for taking a pass.  I wouldn't want Belichick having full control of my team either.

This is true, but he's also probably at a point where if he doesn't get it his way, he's not interested anyway.