NFL News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Is that worth the contract it'll take to keep him around?

He had about a 31 million dollar hit this year, and 31.6 next year.  If he isn't resetting the market, and I don't think he will, they should be fine.  He was the third highest cap hit QB in 2023 already.  Obviously, they will have to continue to hit in the draft, as they have for the last few seasons.  And as easy to dismiss them because of high draft positions, previous Lions regimes also had high draft positions and still managed to screw it up.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He had about a 31 million dollar hit this year, and 31.6 next year.  If he isn't resetting the market, and I don't think he will, they should be fine.  He was the third highest cap hit QB in 2023 already.  Obviously, they will have to continue to hit in the draft, as they have for the last few seasons.  And as easy to dismiss them because of high draft positions, previous Lions regimes also had high draft positions and still managed to screw it up.  

It'll go up to around 50/year.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

They also drafted Hooker in the 3rd so it really depends on what they see in him.  People counting on Detroit’s demise might end up disappointed. They drafted well and built up their lines. They got a steal with St. Brown who they will have to pay. They won’t keep everyone but if they do have even a decent QB in Hooker, they will be cap rich to pay some me of their premium guys.

Detroit has also drafted some quality players even if people felt they drafted them too early. Branch was the guy we had at pick 45 that we ended up trading for Reed, Wicks and Brooks. I like how it worked for us but Branch can play and would fill a major need for us. They have reset the culture and kept their OC  but just as importantly built a solid foundation of talent. Even if they slip a bit I believe we’ll be tangling with them for years to come for this division. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I actually changed my mind about the Goof this season.  He has a strong arm, and is deadly accurate, when he is on his spot.  When you get him moving in the pocket, he is not nearly as good, and in fact can be quite bad.  He won't give you the game, but there are certainly ways you can take it from him.  He probably won't ever be the top tier MVP type of QB, but he is going to be good to above average for like 85-90% of games.

He's a sort of QB the fan base hates up until the next guy comes in and is demonstrably worse (though based on the crowd during the Rams/Detroit playoff game, those people freaking LOVE Goff)

13 minutes ago, Refugee said:

They also drafted Hooker in the 3rd so it really depends on what they see in him.  People counting on Detroit’s demise might end up disappointed. They drafted well and built up their lines. They got a steal with St. Brown who they will have to pay. They won’t keep everyone but if they do have even a decent QB in Hooker, they will be cap rich to pay some me of their premium guys.

Detroit has also drafted some quality players even if people felt they drafted them too early. Branch was the guy we had at pick 45 that we ended up trading for Reed, Wicks and Brooks. I like how it worked for us but Branch can play and would fill a major need for us. They have reset the culture and kept their OC  but just as importantly built a solid foundation of talent. Even if they slip a bit I believe we’ll be tangling with them for years to come for this division. 

I really don't know about that. Campbell could quickly end up his own worst enemy. I also have zero faith Hooker is a viable replacement. As of right now I see nothing to convince me this is or isn't a blip.

5 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I really don't know about that. Campbell could quickly end up his own worst enemy. I also have zero faith Hooker is a viable replacement. As of right now I see nothing to convince me this is or isn't a blip.

Big hurdle for Detroit to maintain the rise is drafting well with significantly less draft capital.   Finding players that can play above their payscale like all other teams have to do when paying a QB big salary

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Big hurdle for Detroit to maintain the rise is drafting well with significantly less draft capital.   Finding players that can play above their payscale like all other teams have to do when paying a QB big salary

I think the bigger problem is Campbell shooting himself in the foot being "aggressive". The more big games they have where every possession matters the more it's going to bite them in the ***.

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

I think the bigger problem is Campbell shooting himself in the foot being "aggressive". The more big games they have where every possession matters the more it's going to bite them in the ***.

If Detroit is in the NFCCG on the regular, that would be a huge success.  

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

If Detroit is in the NFCCG on the regular, that would be a huge success.  

That's unlikely. They might make the playoffs but I wouldn't expect consistent deep runs, especially assuming the Packers are at least trade who gets the division and who's a wild card back and forth.

16 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Eh, I think the whole "lesser draft capital" argument is kinda overrated.

We all sit here and poke at teams for their high first round busts and talk about how important hitting your 2?d/3rd round picks are and then completely forget about that because top ten picks are OOO SHINY

12 minutes ago, spilltray said:

If you look at the actual numbers, Campbell's fourth down aggressiveness is basically a big reason the Lions ended up where they did.

You dance with who brung ya.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Bad Example said:

If you look at the actual numbers, Campbell's fourth down aggressiveness is basically a big reason the Lions ended up where they did.

You dance with who brung ya.

It cost them games against SF and Dallas. I don't care what it does vs the Jets or the Commanders. Against teams that can trade blows with them it's going to cost them.

19 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Eh, I think the whole "lesser draft capital" argument is kinda overrated.

We all sit here and poke at teams for their high first round busts and talk about how important hitting your 2?d/3rd round picks are and then completely forget about that because top ten picks are OOO SHINY

Hutchinson, Sewell, Gibbs, Decker, Ragnow, Campbell and all top 20 picks.  Lets see how well Detroit finds quality players picking late 20s

34 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Hutchinson, Sewell, Gibbs, Decker, Ragnow, Campbell and all top 20 picks.  Lets see how well Detroit finds quality players picking late 20s

That does remain to be seen.  But if you look at their last three drafts: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/draft.htm  they have selected a lot of guys that have at least contributed, through all rounds.  Of course they are going to have to continue to draft well to remain a good team, that is a given.  And in my estimation, they have put together a pretty good little stretch of doing just that recently.  They also still have a pretty good young base to carry them for a couple more seasons even if they start drafting worse.

• Like 2