NFL News & Notes

Leader

Sounds like Elliot Wolf has been talking to SF for a while about a trade for Aiyuk.  After drafting Maye at #3 overall, he now wants to trade for Aiyuk and (presumably) pay him the big contract.

Looks to me like GB made the right call going with Gute over the Elliot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Sounds like Elliot Wolf has been talking to SF for a while about a trade for Aiyuk.  After drafting Maye at #3 overall, he now wants to trade for Aiyuk and (presumably) pay him the big contract.

Looks to me like GB made the right call going with Gute over the Elliot.

Why?  Like I'm not fighting you at all, I dig Gute, but....why does it look like the right call was made?

Because Wolf inherited a dumpster fire of a team and is transforming it right now.  He got his QB, now he's trying for a WR because there just is not much over there that has any talent.

If there is a time to pay a high end WR, it's when you are devoid of talent and when you have a young QB who needs help.

I guess I'd have to see what the comp looks like for Aiyuk, but I think he's going to be dealt for not a whole lot of draft capital.  And that is just due to the contract stuff.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Why?  Like I'm not fighting you at all, I dig Gute, but....why does it look like the right call was made?

Because Wolf inherited a dumpster fire of a team and is transforming it right now.  He got his QB, now he's trying for a WR because there just is not much over there that has any talent.

If there is a time to pay a high end WR, it's when you are devoid of talent and when you have a young QB who needs help.

I guess I'd have to see what the comp looks like for Aiyuk, but I think he's going to be dealt for not a whole lot of draft capital.  And that is just due to the contract stuff.  

I agree with this, but we don't know if he got his QB or not. Not a quarterback guru but think Drake Maye is a bust waiting for an opportunity to prove it. 

I have never been a fan of Maye.  It's not even about the rough reports out of NE's camp.  I've just never been a fan.  We'll see.  GB fans know better than most that rookie QB's struggling isn't a death blow to their career.

I think trading for a top-end WR in the current WR market is nuts.  SF wouldn't trade Aiyuk at draft time when the picks would have been immediate because nobody would meet their demands.  I don't think it's likely that SF's asking price is dropping now, when the picks are all in the future.  SF is at the peak of their SB window, they won't be dealing Aiyuk without a significant return.  I also see Aiyuk as a good WR, but I don't view hims as an elite/special.  If he's treaded, he's immediately going to be paid like he's elite.

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Watch SF do something like pull off a trade with Aiyuk to NE for Judon straight up.

If that happens, Wolf is a fool and deserves plenty of criticism. Maybe he develops into a worthy GM but he was definitely light on experience when we could have elevated him. Gutey already had a long track record as a scout with plenty of receipts even for guys we did not bring in as well as a very steady temperament. Even if Wolf turns into something, which remains to be seen, we got the right guy. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I agree with this, but we don't know if he got his QB or not. Not a quarterback guru but think Drake Maye is a bust waiting for an opportunity to prove it. 

Whether you or I or anyone else feels like Maye is a bust is irrelevant to the conversation.  New England didn't have a franchise QB.  Wolf went in there and drafted a guy to be his franchise QB.  It's what GM's do.  Now he's trying to bring in an actual quality NFL receivers to help his offense and his young QB.

My point is this, Wolf inherited a team with little talent, especially on offense.  He's doing it his way now and he got his QB, now he wants to add a very good WR.

I don't see that as being a reason as to why "we made the right choice".  

I do dig Gute.  Also?  I dig Wolf.  I think we got the right guy, the more seasoned, better prepared guy at the time.  

• Like 1

I have never been a fan of Maye.  It's not even about the rough reports out of NE's camp.  I've just never been a fan.  We'll see.  GB fans know better than most that rookie QB's struggling isn't a death blow to their career.

I think trading for a top-end WR in the current WR market is nuts.  SF wouldn't trade Aiyuk at draft time when the picks would have been immediate because nobody would meet their demands.  I don't think it's likely that SF's asking price is dropping now, when the picks are all in the future.  SF is at the peak of their SB window, they won't be dealing Aiyuk without a significant return.  I also see Aiyuk as a good WR, but I don't view hims as an elite/special.  If he's treaded, he's immediately going to be paid like he's elite.

Watch SF do something like pull off a trade with Aiyuk to NE for Judon straight up.

57 minutes ago, Refugee said:

If that happens, Wolf is a fool and deserves plenty of criticism. Maybe he develops into a worthy GM but he was definitely light on experience when we could have elevated him. Gutey already had a long track record as a scout with plenty of receipts even for guys we did not bring in as well as a very steady temperament. Even if Wolf turns into something, which remains to be seen, we got the right guy. 

Judon is 32 years-old and in the last year of his contract. Under most circumstances this would be a bad move. NE is going nowhere this year and Judon will move on after the season. I could see this trade given what the two teams are trying to do. San Fran, all in this year. NE would be giving their young QB a Bonafide WR, which they don't presently have. 

Aiyuk's extension would all be during the time they have a rookie quarterback contract so it's not as damaging from a cap standpoint. 

General rule of thumb, I'm not trading for a WR to pay him big bucks. This situation could be the one exception with the rookie QB. 

Edited by Old Guy

NE making a  move for a proven WR to help ID if Maye is the QBotF makes sense.  Would it be better if they didn't have to trade for 1, absolutely.  They were in on Ridley in the FA WR market, so this makes some sense.  NE has the cap space to pay Aiyuk for the next few years and if that helps solve the "is Maye the future at QB", that cost is certainly worth a discussion on making the move.  

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Judon is 32 years-old and in the last year of his contract. Under most circumstances this would be a bad move. NE is going nowhere this year and Judon will move on after the season. I could see this trade given what the two teams are trying to do. San Fran, all in this year. NE would be giving their young QB a Bonafide WR, which they don't presently have. 

Aiyuk's extension would all be during the time they have a rookie quarterback contract so it's not as damaging from a cap standpoint. 

General rule of thumb, I'm not trading for a WR to pay him big bucks. This situation could be the one exception with the rookie QB. 

I actually didn't realize Judon was that old.  In my head I was thinking he was just getting to his 2nd contract.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Whether you or I or anyone else feels like Maye is a bust is irrelevant to the conversation.  New England didn't have a franchise QB.  Wolf went in there and drafted a guy to be his franchise QB.  It's what GM's do.  Now he's trying to bring in an actual quality NFL receivers to help his offense and his young QB.

You realize GMs get fired all the time for selecting the wrong QB in the draft, don't you? It is absolutely relevant to the conversation, which was, did we hire the correct GM. 

I'm with Gute, regardless of what Wolf does tbh. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

You realize GMs get fired all the time for selecting the wrong QB in the draft, don't you? It is absolutely relevant to the conversation, which was, did we hire the correct GM. 

I'm with Gute, regardless of what Wolf does tbh. 

and since Wolf job could be on the line if Maye busts, getting a upper tier WR to help reduce that chance is a smart play for him.  There is a trickle down effect as well as Aiyuk becomes the WR1 and it pushes the rest of the WR down a spot and improves the depth and the top end

• Like 2