NFL News & Notes

Leader

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Judon is 32 years-old and in the last year of his contract. Under most circumstances this would be a bad move. NE is going nowhere this year and Judon will move on after the season. I could see this trade given what the two teams are trying to do. San Fran, all in this year. NE would be giving their young QB a Bonafide WR, which they don't presently have. 

Aiyuk's extension would all be during the time they have a rookie quarterback contract so it's not as damaging from a cap standpoint. 

General rule of thumb, I'm not trading for a WR to pay him big bucks. This situation could be the one exception with the rookie QB. 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

and since Wolf job could be on the line if Maye busts, getting a upper tier WR to help reduce that chance is a smart play for him.  There is a trickle down effect as well as Aiyuk becomes the WR1 and it pushes the rest of the WR down a spot and improves the depth and the top end

Kinda already covered that and we're on the same page. 

We're talking about Aiyuk, who was in Shanny's doghouse for the first season and a half of his career because of attitude issues.  Now he's holding out for an elite contract.  I'd want no part of Aiyuk leading my WR room with a young QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have never been a fan of Maye.  It's not even about the rough reports out of NE's camp.  I've just never been a fan.  We'll see.  GB fans know better than most that rookie QB's struggling isn't a death blow to their career.

I think trading for a top-end WR in the current WR market is nuts.  SF wouldn't trade Aiyuk at draft time when the picks would have been immediate because nobody would meet their demands.  I don't think it's likely that SF's asking price is dropping now, when the picks are all in the future.  SF is at the peak of their SB window, they won't be dealing Aiyuk without a significant return.  I also see Aiyuk as a good WR, but I don't view hims as an elite/special.  If he's treaded, he's immediately going to be paid like he's elite.

Guess I view him in that near elite status.  He's a better pro WR than Deebo.  Deebo is more of a gadget kid, Aiyuk is a pure receiver.

His stats could be hurt by playing with a rookie QB in a NE system that is rebuilding, but that kid is very, very talented.  To me, he is similar to 'Vante.

And again, what is wrong with a GM drafting his QB and then wanting to give him a weapon, when the current offense has, checks notes, JJ Smith Schuster as his "best" WR.  I mean it, their WR corp is lacking.  

And even if he isn't near elite, or elite, he is at the very least, quite good and much, much better than anything else on that roster.  And Aiyuk is probably the best WR that can be had via trade right now.

So again, I see nothing wrong with a GM who got his young QB and is trying to get him a better WR room.  Nothing at all.

27 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Whether Maye busts in NE is 100% relevant.

No.  It is not.

Would you rather Wolf had sat idly by and kept the other kid, Mac Jones?

Wolf did what GM's do.  They draft their guy at QB.  Then they try to surround him with talent and see how he does.

Wolf is working the plan.  It remains to see how it will pan out.

So again, there's no reason that trying to trade for a very good WR would make it good that we chose Gute over Wolf.  And again, I'm happy we did, we got the right guy.  But I also feel like it was too soon for Elliot back then.  Seems about right now for him to see what he can do.  And the guy is trying, and he's kind of doing it textbook style.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You realize GMs get fired all the time for selecting the wrong QB in the draft, don't you? It is absolutely relevant to the conversation, which was, did we hire the correct GM. 

I'm with Gute, regardless of what Wolf does tbh. 

No.  It is not.  Simply because you do not know if Maye is or is not "the guy".  All we know is that a new GM went out and drafting "his" QB.

Some on this board love to profess how good someone is going to be off of a few video clips.  I'm one of them.  But let's be honest here, teams do oh so much more than us armchair scouts.

And Wolf is running the GM playbook right now.

I'm with you, I prefer Gute and now that he's been in the league a while, he's more than proved it.  Though wasn't it last year when some on here were saying he would "sink or swim" with Love?  If Love didn't ball out, Gute should be either gone, or held in less regard?  I swear that was a thing, but it was probably a very minority thing.  

Gute's done a great job here.  Wolf is finally getting his chance.  And to me, he's doing it textbook style right now.  And as they said in that one movie, "That's a bold move, Cotton, let's see how it plays out."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

We're talking about Aiyuk, who was in Shanny's doghouse for the first season and a half of his career because of attitude issues.  Now he's holding out for an elite contract.  I'd want no part of Aiyuk leading my WR room with a young QB.

Yup.  Talking about Aiyuk.

Let me put it into perspective.  

First...Shanny is known for running the ball, right?  Kind of a genius there.  Aiyuk's QB's have been Jimmy G and mister irrelevant, Purdy.  Kittle is on that offense.  Deebo is on that offense.  So is CMC.

First four years of receiving production....

2020: 60 for 748 yards and 5 TD's.

2021:  56 for 826 and 5 TD's.

2022: 78 for 1015 and 8 TD's.

2023:  75 for 1342 and 7 TD's.

Totals:  269 for 3931 and 25 TD's.

That's excellent production for a guy competing for touches in that offense.  I mean, we are gushing over Jayden Reed and his potential after a rookie year with 64 for 793 and 8 TD's.

Reed his the next 3 years like Aiyuk did and we are going to back the Brinks truck up for him.

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No.  It is not.

Would you rather Wolf had sat idly by and kept the other kid, Mac Jones?

Wolf did what GM's do.  They draft their guy at QB.  Then they try to surround him with talent and see how he does.

Wolf is working the plan.  It remains to see how it will pan out.

So again, there's no reason that trying to trade for a very good WR would make it good that we chose Gute over Wolf.  And again, I'm happy we did, we got the right guy.  But I also feel like it was too soon for Elliot back then.  Seems about right now for him to see what he can do.  And the guy is trying, and he's kind of doing it textbook style.

If I'm a NE fan, I would have much rather seen Wolf bide his time with Brissett at QB while drafting WR Harrison at #3 vs drafting Maye at #3 and then trying to swing a trade for Aiyuk.

I only know a couple NE fans, and both of them already hate Wolf over this exact thing.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

General rule of thumb, I'm not trading for a WR to pay him big bucks. This situation could be the one exception with the rookie QB. 

There can be exceptions made but you’d better hit on your gamble. I think they should play hardball with SF. Giving up a high pick in the draft just for the privilege to pay a guy top WR money is bad business. SF can say fine, we’ll keep our disgruntled guy but he has already been holding out on them and the relationship is getting very sour.

Trading an aging but still very good vet could make more sense but you still have to eat the guaranteed money and then have another big hole to fill. We’ll see how young Wolf plays it but I mainly just don’t want him to help SF out who is on the last gasp of this current window of contention before they have to rewrite the entire script. 

18 minutes ago, Refugee said:

There can be exceptions made but you’d better hit on your gamble. I think they should play hardball with SF. Giving up a high pick in the draft just for the privilege to pay a guy top WR money is bad business. SF can say fine, we’ll keep our disgruntled guy but he has already been holding out on them and the relationship is getting very sour.

Trading an aging but still very good vet could make more sense but you still have to eat the guaranteed money and then have another big hole to fill. We’ll see how young Wolf plays it but I mainly just don’t want him to help SF out who is on the last gasp of this current window of contention before they have to rewrite the entire script. 

These things (holdouts) happen every year. Once the player gets his money, all is forgiven. I actually expect AIyuk to be a 49er this year, with a new long-term deal. 

I won't be shocked if he isn't, but this team is in win now mode so subtracting a very good players doesn't see to mesh with that idea. 

Interesting Aiyuk news if true.

The 49ers have negotiated the frameworks for deals with the Browns and Patriots for the disgruntled wide receiver, Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area reports. It's now in Aiyuk's hands to see if he can work out a long-term contract with one of the two teams.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

These things (holdouts) happen every year. Once the player gets his money, all is forgiven. I actually expect AIyuk to be a 49er this year, with a new long-term deal. 

I won't be shocked if he isn't, but this team is in win now mode so subtracting a very good players doesn't see to mesh with that idea. 

Maybe, they are about to lose the one thing that allows them to keep all of those high priced vets next year unless they want to completely disrespect their QB. I don’t doubt Aiyuk will play even  if not given a deal but I also don’t doubt he’ll sit for every small injury and if things go poorly for SF like I believe it will, a lot of the disgruntled guys will be less bought in. I truly only care about GB so I’ll see how the 9ers play it as my local team but the only game of theirs I will be locked in on is when they come to Lambeau this year. SF might still be good but this could be a rough year for them. 

• Like 1

I do wonder what "frameworks for a deal" actually means for SF/Aiyuk.  Last year, the Packers and Jets had the framework of a Rodgers deal in place, and then it took more than a month for the actual trade to occur.

If the Browns pull this trade off, the AFC North race gets even more interesting.  Watson, Chubb, Cooper, Aiyuk, Jeudy and Njoku to go with that elite defense?  Not bad. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I do wonder what "frameworks for a deal" actually means for SF/Aiyuk.  Last year, the Packers and Jets had the framework of a Rodgers deal in place, and then it took more than a month for the actual trade to occur.

Is the 'framework for a deal,' with Aiyuk/SF or SF trading Aiyuk someplace else? 

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Is the 'framework for a deal,' with Aiyuk/SF or SF trading Aiyuk someplace else? 

The report claims that SF has worked out trade terms with both CLE and NE, and the ball is now in Aiyuk's court to get an extension done with one of those teams.