NFL News & Notes

Leader

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

Seriously. The dynamic you mentioned between the WR is gonna be interesting. I wonder if PIT's getting the weapon for Russ or Fields.

Who cares? They both suck! The 49ers are getting worse so it's all good as far as I'm concerned. 

The rookie WR the 49ers drafted is having some minor physical issues which is keeping him out at least a few days. Deebo's shoulder isn't right and will likely cause him problems again this year. 

Green Bay and Detroit are likely the favorites now. 

Edited by Old Guy

Just now, Old Guy said:

Who cares? They both suck! 

? I think they're both talented WR's.

I latched on to Pickens during that years draft after watching videos of him catching everything that came his way. Sure he had some issues with a DB or two....but I never caught on he was the head case he apparently is. Oh well...not our problem. 

I've not looked at Aiyuk's stats...but he's far from a bum IMO. Is he worth 35M (or whatever the top line WR salary is now a days.....) - I dont think so....but again, it's not my money.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

? I think they're both talented WR's.

I latched on to Pickens during that years draft after watching videos of him catching everything that came his way. Sure he had some issues with a DB or two....but I never caught on he was the head case he apparently is. Oh well...not our problem. 

I've not looked at Aiyuk's stats...but he's far from a bum IMO. Is he worth 35M (or whatever the top line WR salary is now a days.....) - I dont think so....but again, it's not my money.

I was referring to the quarterbacks sucking, not the WRs. 

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

My suspicion is that Aiyuk is a high end #2 WR, and a low end #1. I'm not sure it's worth paying him the going rate, which is probably the hold-up with the 49ers.  Of course, you could say the same of St. Brown in Detroit and they kind of had to pay him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

My suspicion is that Aiyuk is a high end #2 WR, and a low end #1. I'm not sure it's worth paying him the going rate, which is probably the hold-up with the 49ers.  Of course, you could say the same of St. Brown in Detroit and they kind of had to pay him.

St. Brown was doing it when the Lions had nobody. Aiyuk has never had to be the man. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

St. Brown was doing it when the Lions had nobody. Aiyuk has never had to be the man. 

A lot of "what St. Brown was winning at doing" in Detroit was stuff that was largely schemed correctly to hit an open guy who ran a good route.  What you're not going to ask him (or Aiyuk) to do one-on-one against press man coverage against a good DB.  That's what gets guys like Chase, Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Brown, etc. to get paid.

I think the model for comparing players like this is "could A succeed at the stuff B is succeeding at" and "could B succeed at the stuff A is succeeding at."   If you ask Brandon Aiyuk or Amon-Ra St. Brown to fill the role of CeeDee Lamb, you would probably be disappointed.  But that doesn't mean they're not good at what they're being asked to do, they're just rarely being asked to do stuff they would struggle at.  It's generally better to not ask guys to do stuff they can't do, but a guy who can do more things is ceteris paribus more useful.

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

We hit that one right out of the park. Credit to Gute and also Tae for being mature about it and keeping it mostly in house and limiting the bad blood. Both sides got what they wanted, but one side definitely got the better deal. 

Like I said before, Adams (and also Rodgers) seem shocked that unsuccessful and dysfunctional organizations tend to make poor decisions and thus remain unsuccessful and dysfunctional. 

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I think Aiyuk wants to end up in Washington with Daniels as his QB

Takes two to tango and so far, Washington has not seemed interested in jumping in this dance. 

56 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

So over a span of a couple years, it looks like PIT is effectively going to flip Claypool + 2025 RD2 + some rando for Aiyuk + Joey Porter Jr

So, you are saying they are getting Aiyuk for a second and some other player yet to be named? 

The Claypool part is irrelevant since they used a 2nd to get him originally.

History will still determine who won this trade. Aiyuk is going to have to live up to whatever a team pays him. San Fran might turn that second into a bona fide star. 

Edited by Old Guy

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Takes two to tango and so far, Washington has not seemed interested in jumping in this dance. 

for now.  If the price that SF can get in return they may enter the mix.  

Just feels like Aiyuk wants to play with Daniels and will do what he can to make that happen.  

SF seems like they just want to move on and get something for Aiyuk vs him being in camp and not playing due to "injury".  

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

for now.  If the price that SF can get in return they may enter the mix.  

Just feels like Aiyuk wants to play with Daniels and will do what he can to make that happen.  

SF seems like they just want to move on and get something for Aiyuk vs him being in camp and not playing due to "injury".  

Can't San Francisco send him home until he's traded? Why let him be a distraction? 

As for Washington getting into it. They aren't terrible at WR. They are terrible at a lot of other positions. Not sure they should be trading away draft picks. They are a bad organization so who knows. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Can't San Francisco send him home until he's traded? Why let him be a distraction? 

They can, but how does paying him $14M on the the year tag and getting nothing out of that investment help achieve their goals?

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

As for Washington getting into it. They aren't terrible at WR. They are terrible at a lot of other positions. Not sure they should be trading away draft picks. They are a bad organization so who knows. 

The are not terrible, but they could also use a top tier WR type player to pair with McLaurin

• Like 1