Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

4 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Royce Lewis is back for the Twins, he's now 3-3 on the season with 2 walks and 2 HR's as well. But Twins lost to the Yankees. It'd be nice to get a win in NY in the next couple of days.

Finally got to see a Twins game. Royce looked great out there today. Tough Yankees team to beat, hoping for a win this series as well. 

3 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Happy to have Connelly locked up. Now, it’s time for Taylor to walk off into the sunset. 

"In pushing his contract option back a year, Connelly maintains flexibility as current owner Glen Taylor battles with Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez for control of the team. The two sides are set to begin arbitration in their contract dispute over who owns the team, but that process is expected to take months to play out."

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5541765/2024/06/04/tim-connelly-timberwolves-returning/

Makes sense to push the option back until after the 2024-25 season concludes. Hopefully the ownership situation is resolved well before then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Makes sense to push the option back until after the 2024-25 season concludes. Hopefully the ownership situation is resolved well before then.

Well, hopefully Taylor can stay alive long enough to resolve the situation. 

NORMANDY, France — One-hundred-year-old Les Schrenk doesn't have time for his usual morning water aerobics or afternoon bike rides this week.

That's because the World War II veteran is more than 4,000 miles from his Bloomington home, making his first-ever visit to Normandy to mark the 80th anniversary of D-Day, which he spent in a German POW camp.

"I'm having the time of my life right now. I haven't even got time to think of the people back home," Schrenk said. "It's a very moving occasion."

On Tuesday, Schrenk joined dozens of other World War II veterans for a ceremony near the First Infantry Monument. Down the hill from the monument is a German bunker made of refortified concrete. It's where German soldiers would have holed up and shot down at Allied soldiers storming across Omaha Beach.

It made Schrenk think of a previous trip to Europe where he met Hans Herman Muller, the German pilot who shot down his plane just weeks before D-Day. 

Muller had a chance to fire a second fatal shot that would have likely killed Schrenk and his crew, but never did, choosing to let them live. Decades later, the men met and became friends. 

"That was the meeting of a lifetime. Former enemies trying to kill each other. Unbelievable," Schrenk said.

Now, Schrenk is paying respects to his fellow American soldiers who never got a chance to return home. He collected sand from Omaha Beach, a keepsake that he'll be bringing back to Minnesota as a reminder of the sacrifices that were made on this shore. 

"Everything amazes me. I can't put words to it," he said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/les-schrenk-wwii-veterans-normandy-d-day-80th-anniversary/?

• Like 3

My familial representative in WWII would be turning 105 later this year...he served on the USS Guadalcanal in the Navy.  He never talked about it, so I don't know what he experienced. It would have been nice to know, at the very least, but I imagine it wasn't the easiest to talk about.  He did talk about being on the carrier with Ted Williams, who was in the Air Force, but who knows if that's actually true or not. 

I went to Normandy on Memorial Day about 6 years ago. It's a truly humbling place to stand. I was on "Omaha" beach as the sun rose. You see the cliffs where the Germans were perched. You see out across the sea, realizing how long the Germans had to prepare for the landing, and you see the sheer distance of open beach that had to be covered. It would have been an absolute meat grinder. You get a feel for the courage required to keep pressing forward. Certainly an experience I'll never forget.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

You see the cliffs where the Germans were perched. You see out across the sea, realizing how long the Germans had to prepare for the landing, and you see the sheer distance of open beach that had to be covered. It would have been an absolute meat grinder. 

was there air support on that assault? were the German strongholds and bunkers strafed first?

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

was there air support on that assault? were the German strongholds and bunkers strafed first?

There was. To varying degrees of success. Probably saved thousands of Allied lives. I believe there was something like 12 or 13,000 planes supporting the invasion. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I believe there was something like 12 or 13,000 planes supporting the invasion. 

i assumed as much. but i sure don't understand the logistics and capabilities of 1944 warfare that those planes couldn't have bombed and shot the German defensive line out of existence prior to the seaward assault of infantry.

Defensive lineman Abu Tarawallie, a 3-star recruit from Osseo, MN, who played at Heritage Christian Academy in Minneapolis, will stay home and play his college ball down the road in Dinkytown.

Tarawallie is a big guy, measuring in at 6’3 and weighing 275 pounds. He’s the second-highest rated high school player in the state for the class of 2025, right behind Emmanuel Karmo, who also recently committed to the Gophers.

Tarawallie chose to stay home over taking other power four offers from schools like Michigan State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Kansas State. Tarawallie’s athleticism is undeniable, making him a huge acquisition for PJ Fleck, who is having a heck of an off season so far stacking commitments on top of each other.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/gophers-football-recruiting-2025-abu-tarawallie/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0vf7WgioWEqEItFjATu3JKfYmq3VlQARABos4bd2EbaIsq6-DpLyh6d2g_aem_AXq2R5C84d2KRHR0Tka8iztNxsKGEgVMl-2AVIjIcngqRZF_2DVcVdptl0nh7DOWCmNAzOdEc66o4kPbsmUtx9ue#google_vignette

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Defensive lineman Abu Tarawallie, a 3-star recruit from Osseo, MN, who played at Heritage Christian Academy in Minneapolis, will stay home and play his college ball down the road in Dinkytown.

Tarawallie is a big guy, measuring in at 6’3 and weighing 275 pounds. He’s the second-highest rated high school player in the state for the class of 2025, right behind Emmanuel Karmo, who also recently committed to the Gophers.

Tarawallie chose to stay home over taking other power four offers from schools like Michigan State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Kansas State. Tarawallie’s athleticism is undeniable, making him a huge acquisition for PJ Fleck, who is having a heck of an off season so far stacking commitments on top of each other.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/gophers-football-recruiting-2025-abu-tarawallie/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0vf7WgioWEqEItFjATu3JKfYmq3VlQARABos4bd2EbaIsq6-DpLyh6d2g_aem_AXq2R5C84d2KRHR0Tka8iztNxsKGEgVMl-2AVIjIcngqRZF_2DVcVdptl0nh7DOWCmNAzOdEc66o4kPbsmUtx9ue#google_vignette

Another PJ Fleck “strong recruiting class”!!! This should lead to a birth in the Samuel L. Jackson United Airlines Snakes on a Plane Bowl!!’

• Like 3